Reinventing Rook

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rook

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Reinventing Rook   Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:43 pm

For the longest time, I avoided “being a psychologist” outside of the context of my day job. This was largely for two reasons. One of which is legal in that I can’t be seen to be doing “therapy on the fly.” The other, however, is because psych was one of the last t things I wanted to think about when I was done with a long day at the University.

I’ve grown to realize that this is a particularly selfish perspective and I am not happy to admit it.

I am, however, happy to rectify this problem with my attitude. As such, I decided that I needed to “Reinvent” Rook—to create a revision, of sorts, of my RLSH activity to achieve my mission of reaching across the board (i.e., helping those outside of my usual sphere of influence).

Whenever I am asked by an aspiring RLSH “how do I start,” I like to advise that they take stock of their resources and limitations. By working with your resources and incorporating your limitations, you increase the probability of being effective.

In the spirit of practicing what I preach, I compiled a list of my resources and limitations and have to confess myself to be at a loss. I won’t be putting the whole list on this post (it would be too much like posting a resume’), but I feel that I may be in need of advice from those who are also involved in this kind of work.

Hypothetically speaking….

If you were to create a superhero who is a clinical psychologist (that cannot do therapy on the fly without losing his license) with doctoral level training and experience in:

· psychological testing and evaluation

· psychotherapeutic approaches

· brain/behavior relationships

· animal behavior and training

· experimental design

· hypnosis

What would he do?

This hypothetical hero is also well versed in occult practices and metaphysics, has some martial arts experience, and is comfortable with technology. A couple of years ago, he took a course in private investigation and bail enforcement out of curiosity and general interest.

Bear in mind his limitations. He has very little time, not much in the way of disposable income, and some health limitations that are gradually improving.

I look forward to your thoughts!

-Rook
Back to top Go down
Blue Rattler

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Reinventing Rook   Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:22 pm

Really good question . . . I'm not sure I have a good answer. But I'll take a stab:

1. Use your technology skills to find out where the closest facilities are (e.g. shelters, etc) in conjunction to where you're passing out water.

2. Use your computer to print out this information and attach to the bottles you pass out.

3. Use your psychology skills to find out why they're homeless (and then see what you can do to help).

4. Keep writing. Writing can change the world. You forgot to mention that you're a great writer in one of your powers. Pull in some of your metaphysical thoughts. The world's a lot more mysterious and magical than anyone has any idea.
Back to top Go down
Rook

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Reinventing Rook   Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:25 pm

Blue Rattler wrote:
Really good question . . . I'm not sure I have a good answer. But I'll take a stab:

1. Use your technology skills to find out where the closest facilities are (e.g. shelters, etc) in conjunction to where you're passing out water.

2. Use your computer to print out this information and attach to the bottles you pass out.

I actually started this, but it got put on hiatus and then forgotten. Thanks for reminding me...I'll put that back up.

Quote :
3. Use your psychology skills to find out why they're homeless (and then see what you can do to help).

Hrmn...there's an interesting thought that I hadn't considered. To determine to root cause of the problem and strike at that in a form of prevention may be a very daunting, yet worthwhile endeavor. Thanks again!

Quote :
4. Keep writing. Writing can change the world. You forgot to mention that you're a great writer in one of your powers. Pull in some of your metaphysical thoughts. The world's a lot more mysterious and magical than anyone has any idea.

*blink* I...hadn't realized that about my writing. I'll see that I develop that. Thanks a third time, I appreciate your thoughts!

-Rook
Back to top Go down
Blue Rattler

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Reinventing Rook   Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:59 pm

One other thought . . .

If you do put info on the water bottles, you should also have a symbol of a rook and maybe a link to your blog.

Every superhero needs a calling card.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Hannaway

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Reinventing Rook   Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:59 pm

With a sufficient amount of data, how do you think you might fair with Criminal Profiling? I know it isn't your area of expertise but it is in the same field correct? Often an invaluable resource for police, they are however very expensive. Having our own one may give us an edge were you to work in conjunction with the likes of superman's watchtower or Leviathans Regional alerts?
Back to top Go down
Rook

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Reinventing Rook   Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:51 pm

Hrmn...most of my forensic work has been postincarceration treatment. I would require some additional training to profile, but it would certainly build on what I already have and it would certainly be worth pursuing.

Great ideas, folks! Thanks!

-Rook
Back to top Go down
Equal

PostSubject: Re: Reinventing Rook   Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:43 pm

Recruit a huge african sidekick to beat up badguys for you while you solve crimes using hypnotic gestures!
Back to top Go down
Rook

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Reinventing Rook   Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:49 am

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
Back to top Go down
Superman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Reinventing Rook   Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:54 am

Rook wrote:
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Lamont Cranston AKA The Shadow does Rook

Superman sunny
Back to top Go down
Cornelius Brunner

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Reinventing Rook   Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:17 am

I can think of a few applications, short of the kind of psychotherapy that would lose your licence.

Negotiation, de-escalation
Profiling, criminal psychology
Motivation, sports psychology
Body language, fight or flight response
Psychological warfare (dress as a bat! That'll work!) 

And apart from specific cases or street applications, I think there's always room for more RLSH manuals. 

I know NLP is a bit dodge, but if you could give us something like the Bene Gesseret Voice Of Command, that'd be swell.

On the other hand...
https://theragingfanboy.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/sigmund-freud-vs-osama-bin-laden/

(say, is Rook still active? Stats say last post was 2013, and all his linked sites are dead like disco.)
Back to top Go down
Anyman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Reinventing Rook   Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:15 pm

Official recognition as a minister or chaplain could give you a chance to use your expertise and skills in an unofficial manner. Granted, it's not technically psychology, so much as emotional and spiritual counseling, but a skill-set like yours comes in very useful in such a vocation. Regardless, having a good reason to use your skills and training in another capacity can help you avoid legal trouble.

Psychological warfare, like Cornelius mentioned, is a good idea, but I would go more with propaganda. As you know, having studied the topics you have studied, symbolism and catchphrases can elicit favourable reactions in other people, both in a society and as individuals. Without resorting to vandalism, leaving symbols and catchphrases behind, surreptitiously placing flyers, or even going out in disguise and spreading rumors, can help your cause. You can fight crime effectively, without putting yourself in any legitimate danger. As the unseen power behind the symbols and concepts, you have a certain air of mystery that can cast enough doubt in the right minds to further cut down on criminal activity and inspire appropriate public action.
Back to top Go down
Rook

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Reinventing Rook   Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:55 pm

Thanks for the ideas and for inquiring as to whether I'm still around after all this time!

Yep, I'm still active, just not much on the forums (for a couple of years, it seems; I only know about this because I subscribed to this thread back in 2012).  You can still catch me on FB, though.

Since this post, I've taken another of my skills as a stage magician and fused it with my background in psychology.  I've founded a nonprofit, Meaningful Magic, which provides magic shows embedded with messages of hope and empowerment at homeless shelters, retirement centers, schools that cater to the at risk, etc.  Essentially, any setting that serves the underserved and at risk:

http://meaningfulmagic.org/

Pretty soon, some of my duties at my day job will lighten (I'm stepping down from my administrative position) and I'll be looking into working in the psychology arena in disaster relief.

Thanks again!

-Rook
Back to top Go down
Cornelius Brunner

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Reinventing Rook   Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:46 am

Nice. I've thought before that some magic tricks or other street performer acts could be useful in the RLSH game. 
Give you something to do on patrol, make you less scary to kids if you're a "hat/coat/mask" type or a "Halloween costume" type. 
Or juggling some fire poi or doing a Living Statue schtick could let you stake out a street corner in plain sight, or make the police less inclined to Rorschach you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reinventing Rook   

Back to top Go down

Reinventing Rook
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Real Life Superheroes - The Forum :: General Information :: Skills-
Jump to: