Share | 

Surviving Without Gear

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Surviving Without Gear   Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:35 am

I wanted to start a new topic just for talking about survival without any gear. Of course it is good to have a "Bug Out Bag," but it is even more important to have the skills to do without it. You never know what you will have available when you find yourself in a survival situation. And I for one would like to know how to live with nothing but the clothes on my butt.
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Without Gear   Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:23 am

I personally always carry a multi-tool in part because of this reason.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Without Gear   Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:24 am

I like your thinking, Idea Man. In fact, I would say my "Survival Specialty" is Impromptu Survival; I always carry a Knife, a Leatherman, and a Lighter on me. With those three things I can do damn near anything in the woods. Gear just makes it easier. The only time I'll use gear is if it's a crisis situation and I have time to grab it, otherwise I prefer making it more difficult on myself because it betters my skills.
Back to top Go down
Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Without Gear   Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:51 pm

Basically, I want to be able to live like a lone caveman if I have to.
Back to top Go down
Arpenteur

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Without Gear   Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:14 pm

That's the spirit.
Back to top Go down
Tommyknocker

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Without Gear   Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:56 am

As mentioned before, it's great to keep a knife on hand.

This would also be a great time to invest in a kilt, because a kilt is also a blanket. I'm kidding on that one. Mostly. I just want an excuse to wear a kilt everywhere I go.

As far as food is concerned, learn how to cut and clean small animals. Don't want to sound like some sort of Hillbilly, but a sharp stick + Marsh equals delicious froggy Dinner.

I realized on my vacation that a lot of people who fish don't actually know how to prepare the first they catch..... Again, very necessary for survival.

While food sources vary based on location, the basic know-how about how to clean and prepare is survival 101, along with fire building. I carry a lighter with me everywhere. However, that's not going to last forever.
Back to top Go down
Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Without Gear   Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:22 am

I just tried frog legs for the first time today. The meat was okay, but next time I will try adding more seasoning. Unless of course I am in the wilderness without access to paprika. Ha Ha. Of course, as I said in another thread, I don't plan on killing a lot of animals for food. I am more interested in learning what wild plants are good to eat.
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Without Gear   Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:27 am

Idea Man wrote:
I just tried frog legs for the first time today. The meat was okay, but next time I will try adding more seasoning. Unless of course I am in the wilderness without access to paprika. Ha Ha. Of course, as I said in another thread, I don't plan on killing a lot of animals for food. I am more interested in learning what wild plants are good to eat.
Limiting yourself to plants in a survival situation is extremely limiting, or in some cases completely impractical. Not to rain on your vegan parade or anything like that, just felt like it was worth mentioning. When you're surviving in a world of beasts, it's best to become like a beast yourself.
Back to top Go down
Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Without Gear   Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:35 am

Double Helix wrote:
When you're surviving in a world of beasts, it's best to become like a beast yourself.

I think that as your situation gets worse, it becomes even more important to hold on to your values.
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Without Gear   Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:26 am

Idea Man wrote:
I think that as your situation gets worse, it becomes even more important to hold on to your values.
In a survival situation, surviving is a priority over dignity.
Back to top Go down
Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Without Gear   Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:35 am

Double Helix wrote:
Idea Man wrote:
In a survival situation, surviving is a priority over dignity.

I really do not feel like debating the issue. I have stated my feelings. Please accept them and move on.
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Without Gear   Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:47 am

My apologies, I didn't mean to push things in that direction, I was just showing concern. It's only that just about every expert I've ever met on the subject relies mostly on animals, so it seems like you'd be crippling yourself figuratively speaking. It may be dangerous in a dire situation.
I didn't mean to encroach upon your ideals or feelings.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Without Gear   Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:07 am

About the only thing I haven't successfully done is knap flint. Most of the local rock just doesn't work too well.

I have knapped glass into an arrow head. It worked surprisingly well. You only get one shot though.

About the only thing I can't do without at this point is in fact a knife. I've tried over and over to fabricate one from stuff I find on the ground and none is satisfactory.

I good multitool is like a survival treasure. You could fabricate every other thing you need with this tool if you have one.

Short term survival requires no food. Long term survival requires a lot of food. Fishing and trapping are skills I wouldn't neglect. Even if you choose to go vegan you should still learn the skills.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Without Gear   Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:11 am

Animals give you so much more than food, they are clothing, blankets, shelter, glue, bowstrings, thread, needles, glue, and a source of fuel for fire (bones). Most american indian cultures relied heavily on hunting. In the case of the plains indians hunting bison was the whole show, every single item they possessed most likely came from animals.
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Without Gear   Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:32 am

Instructor wrote:
About the only thing I haven't successfully done is knap flint. Most of the local rock just doesn't work too well.

I have knapped glass into an arrow head. It worked surprisingly well. You only get one shot though.
I hear you man, knapping is an art that requires a good deal of experience to be consistent at. In some places, finding consistently amorphous rocks can be difficult, and while glass is the easiest to work with, as you said, "you only get one shot". I think that flintkapping is an invaluable skill to anybody that's willing to invest the time and doesn't mind getting cut. Like you mentioned, the knife is the most important tool to have, so being able to make blades from scratch is a huge deal.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Without Gear   Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:47 pm

About the only thing I don't do with a multitool is baton trees. It's a method of cutting saplings down with a knife and a log as hammer. For this a good sturdy fixed blade is a must. Any folding knife eventually fails under this kind of abuse. If I could find a fixed blade multitool now that would be something.

Till then, my trusty hunting knife goes with me into the woods.
Back to top Go down
Sonic Eagle

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Without Gear   Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:50 am

A magnisiam fire start works to if you dont have a lighter
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Without Gear   Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:34 pm

SERE manual: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/21-76-1/index.html

Forget all the parts where the army shows up in a helicopter to rescue you.

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Without Gear   Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:37 pm

Making everything from scratch is called Bush Craft, right?
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Without Gear   Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:18 am

I've heard it called primitive skills.
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Without Gear   Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:49 am

On the subject of flint knapping skills in a survival situation, here's a very nice video I came across which covers picking the most ideal and versatile tool for the purposes of a survival situation.

If you don't know anything about knapping, then half of what this guy says might sound like a foreign language to you. Just a heads up.
Back to top Go down
Legacy

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Without Gear   Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:04 pm

Idea Man wrote:
Basically, I want to be able to live like a lone caveman if I have to.

theres a lot of good info on the web. theres also a number of "survival" shows, though most are usually "scripted" meaning they know what situation they are in and have the basic needs according to said situation. I personally like to learn on my own. So ive spent weeks in the woods (not at once of course!) learning survival camping.

My experience was learned by the best way, doing! you cant learn on just theory, you have to actually experience. I literally lived in a teepee with my dad when i was a kid and learned a lot than. I've also been homeless on the streets before so i know "urban survival" as well. the basics needed for both are simple - clean water to drink, food to eat, warmth and shelter. I know i'm ready for any "apocalypse" that may come. are you?
Back to top Go down
Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Without Gear   Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:05 am

Legacy wrote:
are you?

Right now all I can say is "I don't know, but I hope so."
Back to top Go down
Legacy

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Without Gear   Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:18 am

often a will to survive is more than enough. read the book "hatchet", dont remember the authors name, but in the book a young kid with no survival skills survives in the canadian wilderness for months i believe, its based on a true story i think, cant remember exactly, read it like 17 years ago

but yeah, in most cases the will to survive can help you overcome just about any obstacle. even survival instructors say this. if you dont want to, you wont. and as yoda says "do or do not, there is no try"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Surviving Without Gear   

Back to top Go down

Surviving Without Gear
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1