Stephen Hannaway

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Lockpicking    Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:37 pm

Okay!

So! After a rather hectic month with work I've finally found the time to put this together. It is not comprehensive, I am not a qualified locksmith, it's just something I picked up, so If you want to know more PM me and ill also include a list of reasonably priced books and some free articles that I trust at the end of this post.

In addition, and this should go without saying, this is for educational purposes only. It's a useful skill to possess, especially for the detective types, but using it falls into a gray area, often it may be illegal! Due to this I can't advocate that you use it, that's your call all I'm doing is providing a little knowledge.

Introduction

I've taken into consideration that many of you have a very tight budget so many of the topics will be how to pick the locks with only household items.

For the more serious detective type I would fully recommend getting yourself a set of profesional lock picks and maybe even a lock gun. A few good starter packs can be found here.

Making Tools

1. Padlocks can be one of the easiest locks to pick as often you don't need to pick it in the normal sense of the word. Shims are used to force the locking mechanism apart from the shackle (the "U" shaped bit) thus allowing the lock to open.
    An article on creating a shim can be found here

2. You see all the time on TV and in movies people taking a paperclip and a bobby pin and turning it into a lock pick. For once its not fiction it can be done, and quite easily I might add. A common misconception with doing this is that you just straighten out the paperclip and jiggle it about but that's not the case. When picking most pin locking systems you'll need a tension wrench too. Bare in mind that using a paperclip is pretty damn tricky. To give you an example with my tools i can get most locks in about a minute, while using a paperclip that goes up to 5 minutes...
    An article on creating a paperclip lockpick and tention wrench can be found here

3. If it's just price that's your problem specs to make a decent homemade tool can be found here.

Using Shims

1. Shimming a Padlock
  2. Shimming a door. Works with any plastic that's thin, strong and flexible (Note: Will only works on weaker/older locks)

Picking Locks

• How to pick most locks. The person that wrote this deserves a goddamn medal. If I had this when I was younger my work would have been a lot easier!

Escaping Handcuffs

1. Escaping metal handcuffs. For escapology but good still legit stuff.
  2. Esacping plastic handcuffs and Zip-ties. Be warned, police in every nearly every nation are given training so as to know how to correctly apply these cuffs to make it as ticky as possible to escape them, however this technique works even better with common zip-ties, which are used by crooks.

Electronic locking systems

[list][*] Couldn't find any online articles for this one so I'll write it myself. Most modern systems have token readers which are connected to magna-lock systems. These are quite expensive and so not regularly updated. You often see in movies the hero busting open the reader swapping around some wires and hey presto the door opens. In the real world this is prevented using tamper switches which trigger the alarm of the casing is opened. However pre-2009 systems have a weakness as they only use one data line so if the reader is reading a token then the casing can be removed and the tamper switch can't send a signal as the line is in use. So strap a blank token to a reader, unscrew it and switch the wires connected to positive and negative (industry standard for this is red and black), This will change the circuit from being normally open to normally closed or vice-versa. That will then open the door.

Modern systems have fixed this problem by having the wiring of the readers handled by switch2 or net2 devices which are stored internally, meaning even if you could get the casing off there wouldn't be any wires to switch

Resources

• http://www.withoutakey.co.uk/ Superb site. Highly recommend it, a lot of free material
  • http://www.amazon.co.uk/Secrets-Lock-Picking-Steven-Hampton/dp/0873644239 Great basic starter book for the enthusiast
  • http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Complete-Book-Locks-Locksmithing/dp/0071448292/ref=pd_sim_b_6/280-9773649-8837103 It's good for my dear american friends, it should be called the "The Complete Book of american Locks and Locksmithing", bought it by mistake, still very applicable but yeah, more for you guys then me.
  • http://www.amazon.co.uk/Practical-Lock-Picking-Physical-Penetration/dp/1597496111/ref=pd_sim_b_7 For Pin and waffer locks, great diagrams
  • http://www.amazon.co.uk/Modern-High-security-Locks-Open-Them/dp/1581602952/ref=pd_sim_b_29 More advanced stuff

Summary

And that's it, all the basics covered. If you've taken the time to work your way through the articles you'll see why I never typed it all out myself. There's simply so much to deal with, and it's constantly changing and evolving all the time!

I can personally guarantee the validity of all of those articles, but you'll never learn by just reading, Go out purchase some cheap locks and PRACTICE! If you have any questions, or if even if you just think this is a skill you would like in your arsenal I want you to PM me so we can discuss it. I had a lot of difficulty with it when first learning so if you hit a snag, I'll have hit it too.

I am really keen on hearing how people get on.

PS. I'll be editing this and adding to it as time goes on, as well as working on a typed up version with images so we'll have it should any of the sites go down.
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Lockpicking    Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:55 pm

Keep in mind that the possession of lock picks by those not registered as locksmiths is illegal in some states. Also, in most areas if you are held on an unrelated charge, the possession of lock picks can elevate the charges to a felony.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Lockpicking    Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:30 pm

What are the RLSH applications of this knowledge, please?
Back to top Go down
Stephen Hannaway

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Lockpicking    Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:36 am

Gadgetastic!: Different countries, I wasn't aware. I'll have a looks around for what the laws are in each state and I'll do an edit. Thanks man!

Flora: It's an extremely useful skill to possess. I cannot advocate law breaking on this form but If the more detective type heroes don't mind operating in a grey area then it's an essential skill for them...

It get's a bad rep and I know what you're trying to say, but it's about being prepared for any eventuality, You could ask the exact same question about the RLSH application for survival gear and training! Yet we both know it's an excellent skill to possess.

It's not really an article meant for the paroling or outreach types. :/

Oh and I'm pretty sure it was even in the description of what the skill section was to be used for, A lot of people PM'ed me as they were interested in it.

Anyway! sorry for going on a bit Razz hope that covers it for you
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Lockpicking    Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:45 am

M, the amount of days that i need .that., is outweighed by so many other things
that I
would consider a large amount of time on this to be bad math.
Back to top Go down
Superman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Lockpicking    Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:28 am

When I was a kid I had a set of keys etc that would get me into most houses in my neighborhood. But rather than pursue a life of crime I had a semi-profitable gig of getting folks into their houses when they had accidentally locked themselves out.

Any skill can be used for either good or bad. They are tools kind of like a hammer.

Use a hammer to build shelters for the homeless or habitat for humanity = good.

Using a hammer to whap someone on the head and take their money = bad.

Same tool either way but the use it is put to changes everything.

Superman
Back to top Go down
Stephen Hannaway

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Lockpicking    Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:54 am

Flora V. Arbor wrote:
M, the amount of days that i need .that., is outweighed by so many other things
that I would consider a large amount of time on this to be bad math.

For your personal hero type I'm positive it would be yes... As would some of the stuff that you've posted would be to me. I did say this is for a specific type of hero!

Superman is correct, it is a tool and like any tool it can be used in many different ways for many different purposes! Even if your NOT the detective type I can think of an "outreach" type application right now. A hero with a solid grasp of these concepts and a few others that i'll be posting in the future could create information flyers, do talks and generally raise awareness on issues like home protection and burglar proofing.

As a movement our main objective is to combat crime and apathy and this clearly deals with both! So to simply write it off as useless shows a lack of understanding and imagination which frankly disappoints me... Neutral
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Lockpicking    Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:48 pm

I've seen lots of skills posted and requested.

Planning ways to not forget keys is good.

I like the one for opening cars.

There might be an animal trapped

Back to top Go down
Arpenteur

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Lockpicking    Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:48 pm

A RLSH of our group made a video on how to create your own lockpicking kit for nearly 6 dollars. With training, it is useful to open doors in minute with this kit.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Hannaway

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Lockpicking    Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:38 pm

Is there a link I'd love to see it, maybe add it in or try it out? I have my own tools but I love to learn more? Very Happy

I'd love to speak to him if he's active online?
Back to top Go down
Arpenteur

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Lockpicking    Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:12 am

I send you a PM with his video. I don't know if he would totally agree if I share it to everyone.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Hannaway

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Lockpicking    Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:07 pm

Understood, thanks
Back to top Go down
Savage

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Lockpicking    Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:39 am

You can make a vibrating lock pick very easily using a shaver or "massager". Bump Keys are also a good fast method. Be sure these legal in your area to possess.
Back to top Go down
Anyman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Lockpicking    Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:24 am

Black Scout Survival also has such information, and they sell lockpick tools. Useful for getting people into their homes or cars, or letting out human and animal prisoners. Firefighters also have blades made for bypassing locks by shimming
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lockpicking    

Back to top Go down

Lockpicking
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Real Life Superheroes - The Forum :: General Information :: Skills-
Jump to: