Survival

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:46 am

I just hope it is not a situation I have to deal with in my life.
Back to top Go down
Zombie

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:06 am

Idea Man wrote:
I just hope it is not a situation I have to deal with in my life.

Chances are it won't be.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:51 am

Zombie wrote:
It sounds like your doing everything as difficult as humaning possible. How exactly do you snare 6 squrrels with a peice of paracord?

I do everything with limited supplies. I do everything extremely carefully. And I know what you absolutely need to survive. A lot of the stuff you might bring, like, all your camping stuff, and tents, and whatnot aren’t nescesities, and they’ll weigh you down. That’s another thing you should know; how to take everything into account and plan ahead. I can take a lighter and a leatherman and the clothes on my back, go into the middle of nowhere in the mountains, and live there for three weeks if I had to.

When the time comes, you probably won’t be able to get to your bug out bag, but since everyone here is probably smart enough to pack one anyway, I figured I’d share some things about how to do it with limited supplies.

The reason it may sound like “As difficultly as Humanly possible.” Is probably because you’re a city boy and have never actually had to live in the wilderness for any severe length of time. And that’s not an insult, trust me, I have friends down there that don’t know this either and I try to educate them on it as well.

As for snaring squirrels…lol, well, I thought what I said was pretty self explanatory but maybe you don’t know how to snare things with paracord.

Here’s the value of being able to do so: You can have several feet of paracord or other light string in your pocket. If you don’t have any paracord or string, you can use a boot lace just as easily, and below is what you do.

First, as mentioned before, find a fallen tree that have a lot of those pine cone kernel things along it, (Like, if your tore a pinecone apart, the little things that come off in flakes are what to look for.)

Squirrels like to use this stuff for making nests and whatnot, so if you see a bunch scattered underneath and on top of a fallen tree, it means they are using that tree as a “run”; they “run” along it, and scavenge it for pinecones.

Now, trees, as you know, have branches. These brunches will be sticking upwards, side ways, downwards, and every other which way, so all you have to do is get a piece of paracord and tie off one end to a branch sticking upwards, and then tie a slip knot at the other end into a loop, and then drape the slack paracord over another branch so the loop dangles in the center of the tree, and when a squirrel “runs” along the tree, his head will get caught in the loop, slip, fall, and get choked to death.

What you do is tie like three or four of those snares at various intervals along the tree, and then leave, then come back in a few hours and you should have squirrels in the snares.

Learn how to tie a variety of nots, and you can trap most small game with a piece of paracord. Rabbits, squirrels, etc etc. It takes work, and patience, if you don’t have one or the other or either then don’t bother cuz you’ll probably just frustrate yourself.

You should learn how to do trappings and snarings with paracord, I’m sure there’s material out there. My dad taught me, and I’ve done it, ad it works.

I’ll see about posting some pics up sometime once I get a camera.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:56 am

Oh, and I just now thought to mention it, but some squirrels are really friggin huge; the ones here are only about the size of perhaps a medium sized kitten, so snaring them is pretty easy. I've never snared a huge squirrel before but common little red squirrels are usually the easiest to snare, but I wouldn't even try snaring a grey squirrel or something because they're about the size of my puppy, lol.

Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:03 am

Considering 204 lives in alaska, where most of it is harsh wilderness, I'd take him at his word on this stuff.

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:23 am

@Urban Avenger: Thank you! Lol.

@Idea Man: I used to be the same way. I hated having to stick my hands into a grouse and ripping it's organs out and it's digestive track and getting my hands all sticky and bloody. Now I don't even think about it.

My dad taught me via the sink or swim method. He drove us out into the middle of nowhere with nothing and wished me good luck. Lol. (after he taught me the basics, but unbeknownst to me I was about to learn the difference between knowing how to survive and actually doing it, and learning the deeper meaning behind it.

I was there for over a week, I don't remember how long because time began to blur. After two days of not eating or drinking, I hobbled down to this muddy ass lake and drank from it, I choked a grouse to death with my hands, and tore it's insides out, and prepared it how I was taught, with no problem. It's AMAZING what you will find yourself capable of when your life is on the line. I hated my dad for doing that to me for a while, but I am now very thankful becase it taught me a valuable lesson: True Survival.

Now I go to the mountains every chance I get. When you spend a couple days getting acclimated your mind starts getting a little freaky. You'll start remembering things you haven't remembered in years. The silence of the land will be maddening at first but you'll come to enjoy it. Thrive on it. You will embrace your inner animal, and while you're there, on that mountain staring out at the bright red sunset landscape, you know you are the most dangerous thing in those woods. The Apex predator. And you feel like you can do anything.

I live in the woods. I wish I could stay out there forever, but there's still more to life that I want to see first. But when I'm old, and retired, I'm going to go back to the wild and live there until I die.

I think dying in a hospital would be worse than death. I want to be free from civilization when I die; it's as though the whole world was specially made for me out there, and I try to bring my friends out there so they can experience the same, but all of them hate it and prefer playing PS2. Rolling Eyes

What's truly sad is that most people never get to truly live at all. And in the woods you do feel truly alive and free. It's the way I feel humans were intended to live. Close to the earth, but instead they paved paradise. Sad

Sorry...got kinda ranty there. I feel very passionate towards this topic. XD

Back to top Go down
Zombie

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:27 am

1. I'm faaar from a city boy. 2. If I didn't know what I was talking about, I wouldn't have started this topic, 3. I never said anything about tents. 4. I'm in the woods almost daily. Its swhere I meditate so before you go about asuming things about other people. Take a page out of your own book. You don't know me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:32 am

Idea Man wrote:
I have no problem eating insects.

Idea Man wrote:

Oh yes! Insects are great. A good thing to do in survival situations is to find an anthill and lay your hand overtop of it, and let the ants run all over your hand, then lick the ants off, and be sure to swallow. I gagged a lot the first times I did it but now I actually kinda like it. Just focus on the enormous amount of protein your getting; ants are really good for that stuff. Smile

Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:35 am

Wouldn't a stick be better? Surely grubs are also better than ants. I'd rather eat a grub..

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:36 am

204 wrote:
Idea Man wrote:

Idea Man wrote:

Oh yes! Insects are great. A good thing to do in survival situations is to find an anthill and lay your hand overtop of it, and let the ants run all over your hand, then lick the ants off, and be sure to swallow. I gagged a lot the first times I did it but now I actually kinda like it. Just focus on the enormous amount of protein your getting; ants are really good for that stuff. Smile

That is horrible advice you don't know what kind of ants your letting crawl all over your hand! What if you just licked up a mouthfull of bull ants or fire ants?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:44 am

Zombie wrote:
1. I'm faaar from a city boy. 2. If I didn't know what I was talking about, I wouldn't have started this topic, 3. I never said anything about tents. 4. I'm in the woods almost daily. Its swhere I meditate so before you go about asuming things about other people. Take a page out of your own book. You don't know me.

Precisely the reason I said probably, because you're right, I don't know you, and I made an effort not to judge you. But I know what I'm talking about as well. I wouldn't have typed all the hundreds upon hundreds of words I have shared regarding the topic if I didn't know what I was talking about.

I meditate in the wodds too...but then again I live in the woods and have my entire seventeen years of life, so when you think about it, I've been training in this for almost two decades and as UA had mentioned about, Alaska has some of the most harsh and dangerous living conditions [ever].

Down in the lower forty eight, you probably don't have a lot to worry about, because one, you're within easy reach of civilzation, (towns up here are hundreds of miles apart, I live in a tiny village, and the nearest city is about 120 miles away.) two, the environment and elements are way more benevelont than up here. I've stayed out in the woods in temperatures ranging in the negative fifties and sixties. Trust me, I do know my shit when it comes to survival.

My sincere apologies if I appeared as though I were judging you, it truly wasn't my intention. Smile

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:00 am

Zombie wrote:
204 wrote:
Idea Man wrote:

Idea Man wrote:

That is horrible advice you don't know what kind of ants your letting crawl all over your hand! What if you just licked up a mouthfull of bull ants or fire ants?

So sorry; I just didn't feel the need to mention the fact you sould look at what your eating before you eat it. If it doesn't look like a normal ant, then don't eat it. I'm referring to the little black ones. If you eat those, I guarentee you that you'll be just fine. I've been doing it for a quarter of my life; not as long as the other stuff, but still long enough to know that it really doesn't matter because the amount of generic ants youd have to eat for adverse affects to present themselves would be WAY more than the amount it takes to up your protein.

See.....we alaskans aren't that picky, especially about what ants we eat. I'm actually kinda confused as to what threat is really present in eating a fire ant...it might bite you??? I've never eaten a fire ant, but I have seen them. Dunno if we have them here in Alaska, I saw some in Utah though, and yes; they look different from regular ants, and if I saw a swarm of the two types together I would be able to tell them apart. Also, I think various ants make different types of hills depending on the type, so you could probably look for that. Here though pretty much the general rule is if it moves you can eat it, we don't have any posenous animals except for the Brown Recluse Spider and those are way down south towards anchorage.

Anyway...ants are good for protein...I eat ants on a semi regular basis....I don't know of any posenous ants....I don't care about getting bit because I've been through a lot worse than an ant bite. But yeah, are there any poisenous ants?

Also, once you swallow they can't hurt you; your digestive track will fry those little suckers with acid pretty quick, or they drown as they go down your throat. Anyway...alll I can say is that I've done this and it works, and it hasn't hurt me. If you don't want to I wouldn't blame you, to each their own! *prepares to eat a cute lil choclate covered ant* XD

Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:03 am

Saw a discovery channel special on the african ants. Scary as fuck:

http://m.voices.yahoo.com/5-deadliest-killer-ant-species-world-2713603.html

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:12 am

Urban Avenger wrote:
Wouldn't a stick be better? Surely grubs are also better than ants. I'd rather eat a grub..

Sure; you could use a stick. Smile

I usually just lay my hand down whenever I see an anthill so that's just my default way of saying how to do it, but yeah you could use anything solid, just lick the ants off. Smile

Most of my protein intake probably comes from ants, lmao. XD
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:14 am

@UA: Haha, yeah, definitely don't eat those ones. Kinda like the kind in that new indianna jones movie that ate all those people, lmao...and the circle of life goes on, haha. Yeah.......don't eat those ones, lol.
Back to top Go down
Zombie

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:15 am

So basicly everyone should listen to what you say for the pure fact that you live in alaska? Sorru but for got some bad news. Everyones envierment is differnt. A hurrican is differnt froma tornado and an earthquake is differnt from a blizzerd. Knowing your envierment is part of being a surrvialist. Sure you live in alaska and I'm sure that's rough but what's right for some isn't right for all.

And yes eatting fire ants will kill you. Your all interested in eatting bugs? Ill add it to my next post tomarrow.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:17 am

Know your food...first rule of survival....(Okay probably not the first rule but a very important one, haha).

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:28 am

Zombie wrote:
So basicly everyone should listen to what you say for the pure fact that you live in alaska? Sorru but for got some bad news. Everyones envierment is differnt. A hurrican is differnt froma tornado and an earthquake is differnt from a blizzerd. Knowing your envierment is part of being a surrvialist. Sure you live in alaska and I'm sure that's rough but what's right for some isn't right for all.

And yes eatting fire ants will kill you. Your all interested in eatting bugs? Ill add it to my next post tomarrow.

That's not what I'm saying at all and I'd appreciate it if you were a bit more respectful. I haven't judged you or rediculed you and I expect the same in return thank you.

I am sharing the advice I have. As are you. As is everyone. I know everyone's environment is different, which is why I keep saying I live in Alaska, so that people know that not everything I say is the best thing in every situation, but I do know a lot about survival in other envirmonments as well, which is why I invited people to PM me or ask me any other questions they have about a more specific thing.

I am just trying to be contributive, and I do not understand why you appear to be so rejecting.

Not all ants are safe. We've established that. I think that discussion is over now, so I would appreciate it if we could get back on topic because it seems you appear to have a personal problem with me and I don't want it to escalate. If you don't then that's great and we can move on, if you do though please contact me via PM and perhaps we can resolve it privately. Thanks.

Back to top Go down
Zombie

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:47 am

Being resectful toward you would imply I had any respect for you. I don't with good reason. Your trying to open a can of worms I suggest you leave alone. At this point, if I don't treat you like human waste iid chalk it up as a win.

It may not seem like it but I'm trying not to be an asshole. I just want you to understand telling someone to put there hand on an anthill and letting them crawl all over them is a bad idea. Most people couldn't tell the differnts in types of ants if they knew differnt charasteristics of ants. Like I said in my first post, the best way to teach is to asume the student knows nothing. Nothing of survival, nothing of ants.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:56 am

Then I would suggest them to first learn about how to tell ants apart. Like UA said, you could use a stick instead.

I would like to teach you something about respect, and I am going to take your advice and assume you know nothing about it, even though before you were telling me not to assume anything about someone.

Respect should be given freely. I respect you to the fullest. I respect Ghandi to the fullest. I respect Adolf Hitler to the fullest.

You don't have to like or agree with someone in order to respect them.

Respect should be given freely to all because it helps you become a better human being.

It's too easy to respect someone you like, someone who's methods you agree with, but if you show respect to those who disrespect you, those who treat you like human waste and are injust towards you and are rude towards you, then you show them what kind of a man you really are.

We're all still learning. We always will be. What's important is that we do our utmost. To be better than good. To be super.

That's why respect should be given freely.

Imagine a world where everyone respected one another. Try to be that change. You will slip up, as will I, but instead of emphasising the mistakes, let's build each other up. Smile

Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:39 am

And this is what I get for going to sleep.

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:48 am

Idea Man wrote:
I was thinking that I might not feel as bad if I killed predatory animals. At least then I would be saving the lives of their prey.

My experience is that carnivores don't tend to be very tasty.

Not to be a walking advertisement for CERT, but they address go bags really well in their course.

Also I keep meaning to get into rain catching and fog harvesting (other than just thinking about it)... as well as using evaporation to turn sea water into fresh water. None of it seems all that hard. Maybe if I do actually live on a boat after this next year passes.

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:53 am

Zombie wrote:
Also I have a question, military guy might know. I have a case of MREs dated 1995. Anyone know if there good?

No, but if the vaccuum seals are intact you probably wouldn't die from eating them. They last comfortably around 5 years.

Hmm... making MREs. Another thing I meant to get into, but actually kind of doable now. http://www.shtfblog.com/diyhow-to-make-your-own-mres-at-home/

http://www.ehow.com/way_5700761_diy-emergency-mres.html

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:56 am

Just remember idea man, that's the food chain. Its a part of nature. Often times when predators disappear, their prey wreak havoc on the ecosystem. There are natural checks and balances. So if you only stick to hunters prey, you are taking away their food source. And if you prey on the hunter, then you can risk damaging the local environmen. Of course, that's speaking on a large scale. One prson in a survival situation is not really going to disrupt an ecosystem. General rule of thumb when hunting to survive is, only kill what you have to, when you need to.

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:02 am

On hunting:

Actually in a survival situation you should take what you can get... including bugs. It's sad for vegetarians and for the animals that get eaten, but meat concentrates nutrients for survival more than any alternative.

On the MRE thing:

If you want something that will last 50 years, the only thing I know of is hard tack, Johnny cakes, or sea biscuits.

You would need to do stuff like not use any oils in the recipe (just water, flour/corn meal, and salt), bake them multiple times, and keep them completely dry (vaccuum sealing would be good).

I actually kind of like something like this made from 1/2 flour and 1/2 cornmeal. I don't know if it'd last 50 years, though.

PostSubject: Re: Survival   

Back to top Go down

Survival
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next