View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:01 pm

Gauge wrote:
And regarding water, you can always build a condensation trap to replenish your water supply. Just be sure to do it BEFORE you run dry.

I heard that mentioned recently when I was watching "28 Days Later."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:21 pm

Huh. I brought this topic up once but got called an idiot....oh well. I'll see what I can do to add to it.

Renewable source of water is pretty easy; just find a lake, a pond, a river, an ocean, even something that can collect rain water or runoff will be good. Even pee can work. Be sure to pack a cooking pot and a pan, get water from the source of you choice, boil it over open flame, cool it, and voila, you got water.

Food is also pretty easy. You'll have to go in the brush for it though. Look for fallen trees with pine cone dropping under it and along it; this is a sign that squirels use it as a run. Get some paracord and set up snares along the tree in various spots, come back in a few hours and you'll have about four, five, maybe even six squirels, and that's enough for breakfast lunch or dinner.

Pick berries for the necesary vitamins.

Whatever you do, don't use your gun on anything that you can take down yourself (ie don't use your gun to get a flipping squirel, lol) Also, be sure to find a 12 foot long stick that's about as thick as a quarter dollar and either sharpen the end or you can try and find bone off an large animal carcas; here in alaska it's most likely moose, from their find a rock and splinter it; the edges and tip can be razor sharp and make great weapons. Making or packing a sling shot is good too; you can get a nice rabit with a rock that way. Smile

Now, a big issue is sleeping. At night, the temperature will drop and if you're not prepared you can get hyperthermia; it doesn't need to be that cold. Oh, and while we're on it, avoid getting wet, especially your feet at ALL COSTS.

Oh, right. Sleeping: Find a spruce tree of some kind. I think every place has them but if you live in the desert then there's other things you can do. With a spruce tree however you find the area of the little branches where the needles splay outwards, and at that point they'll snap really easily, and you can begin making a bed by putting butt end of the pieces into the ground. Make sure it's not too tight; you want it to be a little poofy. Spend about an hour working on your bed. A small little pebble will feel like a friggin' boulder in the morning so pay attention.

For heat: find three or four long, dead, semi small trees and then dig a hole deep enough past any root systems in the ground. Ground can and will burn, and if you don't build it right, you can come back to that spot in a few days and they'll be a huge burned out circle where the ground has been smoldering, this is how forest fires are started so BE CAREFUL and build it right.

From their you need to build reflectors. You can doo this out of simple twigs you find on the ground. First set up some longer twigs in the ground side by side at a 45 degree angle then with the smaller one lay them horizontally along the outside of those twigs so you they lean against one another. Do this on the side of your bed furtherst away from the fire, and make a reflector off the adjacent side of the other one on the other side of the fire at a safe distance, two or three feet at the most.

From there you can build a teepee of sorts in that fire pit, light it, and put one of the long trees in and the others crossing over the top for airflow, and when it starts to go down and your in bed, simply pull a tree closer to the fire, this will burn all night keeping you toasty, and be sure to place sfaety first.

For the bed if you put a bedrool and a sleeping bag on it it will also be very warm and comfy. The reason for the ferns under you is to absord the cold from the ground.

A good place for a shelter is on the eastern side of a mountain, (here in alaska anyway) or whatever side of the mountain has the most sunlight because then you'll save more firewood and manwork. Be CONSERVATIVE.

I think I went over the major things....if you have any other survival questions you can let me know; I'm pretty knowledgable when it comes to that. With a few simple techniques you can survive in the wilderness on your own almost indefinitely. Hope this helps. Smile

Back to top Go down
Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:27 pm

I have no problem eating insects.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:33 pm

204 wrote:
Huh. I brought this topic up once but got called an idiot....oh well.

second time you've said that. it got old the first time.

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:38 pm

bear gryll's offers a lot of good survival tips. most his knowledge on preparing wild food and shelter. videos abound on youtube.

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:42 pm

It sounds like your doing everything as difficult as humaning possible. How exactly do you snare 6 squrrels with a peice of paracord?
Back to top Go down
Zombie

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:44 pm

Urban Avenger wrote:
bear gryll's offers a lot of good survival tips. most his knowledge on preparing wild food and shelter. videos abound on youtube.

I had a surivalist series on youtube for a while. It was a lot of fun and got decent veiws. I won't tell you what its called ofcoruse but maybe I should give it another go...
Back to top Go down
The Reverend

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:45 pm

my bug out bag isnt assembled but i have most of what i would need and enough basic food and water to feed 4 people for 2 months . rice and dried beans are cheap and good .
Back to top Go down
The Reverend

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:48 pm

zombie its easy to kill small mammels with a big rock if you have lots of free time . myself i have 2 22 pistols and a few gross of ammo so im not gonna starve for a few months no matter what happens
Back to top Go down
Zombie

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:49 pm

Also I have a question, military guy might know. I have a case of MREs dated 1995. Anyone know if there good?
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:50 pm

The shelf life is a few years.. but not decades.

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:51 pm

The Reverend wrote:
zombie its easy to kill small mammels with a big rock if you have lots of free time . myself i have 2 22 pistols and a few gross of ammo so im not gonna starve for a few months no matter what happens

I have a pellet revovler and rifle as well as a verity of 22s. I have no idea how to cook squrrel over a camp fire but I will learn soon. This topis will branch out from bug out bags over time.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:52 pm

skin it, skewer it, cook. make sure to gut it first. you don't want the stomach and intestines, or colon. thats disease ridden. then just eat like chicken.

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:52 pm

Zombie wrote:
Also I have a question, military guy might know. I have a case of MREs dated 1995. Anyone know if there good?

http://www.mreinfo.com/us/mre/mre-shelf-life.html

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:54 pm

also:

http://www.thereadystore.com/mre/mre-supplies

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:59 pm

I have heard that you want to cut the sex organs off of male animals before you do anything else.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:04 pm

Are you kidding me? That's the best part! Nom nom nom!

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:44 pm

a company called mountain house has cans of freeze dried food that have a shelf life of 25 years. And another company called wise has buckets of food with a shelf life of 25 as well. Why can't MREs last that long? :/
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:46 pm

I ate a bit of mountain house when I went camping last year. Good stuff. But avoid the ice cream sandwich. :\

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:59 pm

That's disapointing I love icecream sandwiches. :/
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:01 pm

Well.. unless you like neopolitan flavored styrofoam...its not even flavored.. its like hinted.

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:26 am

Idea Man wrote:
As I like to tell people: I am a scavenger, not a predator. I am fine with eating animals that are already dead. Especially ones that were raised on a farm by humans specifically to be eaten. But the idea of going out into nature and choosing to take the life of a wild creature - it just makes me sad. Sad
I have no problems eating animals, but the I don't like the idea of cages. I'd rather be eaten after living free than never eaten and spend my life as somebodys property.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:33 am

Idea Man wrote:
As I like to tell people: I am a scavenger, not a predator. I am fine with eating animals that are already dead. Especially ones that were raised on a farm by humans specifically to be eaten. But the idea of going out into nature and choosing to take the life of a wild creature - it just makes me sad. Sad

When you are in a survival situation you will find it extremely hard to find an already dead animal that i s safe to eat. If you do even find a dead animal, odds are it will be so far gone its not safe to eat. But honestly, who's to say? There aren't exactly statistics for that sort of thing. But if scavenging is your goal, your best bet is berries, fruits and f possible, eggs. But when you haven't eaten for a few days, youj will get over having to kill to survive.

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:41 am

Urban Avenger wrote:

But when you haven't eaten for a few days, you will get over having to kill to survive.

If there are animals around to kill, then there is obviously something else around to eat as well.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Survival   Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:42 am

Hey don't get me wrong, I feel the same way you do.

PostSubject: Re: Survival   

Back to top Go down

Survival
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next