The CRH

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shield

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: The CRH   Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:45 pm

I thought I'd post this tidbit about a great move that's almost impossible to get out of and extremely effective. I advise anyone that practices this with a partner to do so with a "tap" in play. Anyone who actually uses this in a fighting scenario be warned: this technique requires little physical effort on your part and can leave your opponent in very bad shape...use only if absolutely necessary.

CRH stands for Carotid Restraint Hold. Basically, you slow or block the flow of blood from the brain by putting pressure on the carotid arteries.

Here's how you do it:

Get behind your opponent, whether on the ground or standing up. Once in position, slap your opponents forehead. That motion will cause your opponent to slightly tilt his head back. Almost simultaneously, slide your dominant arm under his chin (letting your forearm make contact with the throat/neck area). Once your dominant arm is in place, bend the dominant wrist down (creating a swan like shape). Use your other hand and grasp the dominant wrist. Once you have this "headlock" in place, flex the muscles in your dominant arm and gently lift that arm up and back.

How it works: The forearm, when flexed places enormous pressure on the carotid arteries located in the neck area. Withing seconds, your opponent cannot fight because his brain is lacking the necessary flow of blood and oxygen to perform. Another 10 seconds or less and your opponent will be unconscious. Hold it any longer and your opponent faces brain damage and/or death.

The whole movement should be done within a few seconds. Stunning your opponent with the slap on the head buys you time and an opportunity to place your arm in the proper place. If need be pull your opponents hair or pull the head back to get your arm in place.

How to know it has worked: Your opponent will go limp, usually followed by twitching of the head. If he's unconscious, he probably wet his pants. The full recovery time for your opponent can range from a few minutes to a few hours. That should give you plenty of time to pursue your next course of action.

When training, start slow and get the technique down. Use half of your strength against your partner. Always use the tap method. If your partner is done, have him/her tap you and immediately stop. And don't practice the technique in rapid succession; take a break, drink some water, switch places, and keep an eye on the other person during these breaks.

I post with trepidation because it is such an effective and dangerous move. But if you are in a situation where fighting is the only option, fight to win.

Stay safe...
-Shield
Back to top Go down
Leviathan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: The CRH   Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:05 pm

MUHAHAHAHA!!!! YES!!! MY USE OF A NECKBRACE/GORGET IS VINDICATED!!!
Back to top Go down
Shield

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The CRH   Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:16 pm

Leviathan wrote:
MUHAHAHAHA!!!! YES!!! MY USE OF A NECKBRACE/GORGET IS VINDICATED!!!

Seems like my signature should be Leviathan's vindicator since 2012. Smile
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The CRH   Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:21 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The army is calling it "The Rear Naked Choke" these days.

Artisteroi had built in a stun collar feature into a jacket for our project, but we haven't put that part into operation yet.

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The CRH   Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:22 pm

Thanks for the link EON, I have to wait a bit before I can start posting links it seems.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The CRH   Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:25 pm

Another thing is we had to choke someone out and get choked out for level one combatives -- it's impossible to resist a blood choke.

But another thing is it's a finishing move, meaning that if you try it without having control of your opponent (a physically dominant position), you could easily lose an eye, get stabbed in the whatever, etc etc.

IMO. The actual martial artists on here probably know more.

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The CRH   Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:03 pm

A lot of Martial artists on here Smile
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The CRH   Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:17 pm

head lock is one of my favorite things to do.

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The CRH   Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:05 pm

Some people are more slippery and harder to grab
Back to top Go down
Zombie

PostSubject: Re: The CRH   Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:19 pm

Has anyone ever did a sort of karate chop to the throat before? I did it once in a fight at school way back when. The kid was stunned and had trouble breathing for a moment. I've never done it again because it seems pretty dangerous.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The CRH   Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:19 am

you can kill someone that way.

the airway can get blocked with breakage
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The CRH   Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:23 am

If you can, aim above the adams apple.

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The CRH   Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:42 am

( I want to make a comment about misogyny when discussing strikes but shan't )
Back to top Go down
Zombie

PostSubject: Re: The CRH   Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:42 am

See I knew it was a bad move thatst why I never did it again although normaly in a fight I go for the throat. I almost can't help it. At some point I will grab the throat. I know there's certain moves involving stricking the thoat but I'm not about to try it with out proper training.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The CRH   Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:14 am

Yeah... strikes to the throat are in the category of "I'm trying to kill you."

PostSubject: Re: The CRH   Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:18 am

Oh..well maybe there not worth learning then.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The CRH   Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:19 am

Yes, even if you really weren't trying to kill the courts would probably take that view.

I always tell my students to ask themselves, "how would I explain this to a jury?"
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The CRH   Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:21 am

Zombie wrote:

If somebody has the means, will, and oppurtunity to kill me, I believe deadly force is authorized. I don't fool with the throat unless my attacker is trying to kill me and has the means to do so.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The CRH   Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:25 am

Instructor wrote:
Zombie wrote:

If somebody has the means, will, and oppurtunity to kill me, I believe deadly force is authorized. I don't fool with the throat unless my attacker is trying to kill me and has the means to do so.

Yes. This.

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The CRH   Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:48 pm

I agree with all of the above. In law enforcement, there is a saying "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6." It's basically a mindset that if you are in a deadly situation, there are no rules; you do what you need to to get home.

I've been in a couple of deadly force scenarios and only one played itself out to the very end for one man. Even though I was an officer and this man pointed a gun at me and my partner, the shooting was treated as a criminal homicide. I didn't stress about it, that's our departments policy in force that kills someone.

I was awake for 36 hours and had to give a statement, draw a diagram and go step by step through the crime scene...explaining my actions moment by moment.

Basically, you act. You worry about policy or law after you guarantee your safety. If you know the law, you can justify deadly actions or force if it is a means to protect yourself or another from serious injury or death.

The hold I mentioned at the beginning of this post has the advantage of being able to subdue an opponent bigger and stronger than you. It's also extremely effective when applied properly. But it is a dangerous move that has the potential of killing your opponent. Do I think this has a great application? Absolutely. I wouldn't post anything if I didn't think it had some value to other people here.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The CRH   Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:05 am

Along these lines:

Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The CRH   Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:41 pm

Also a blood choke is not the same thing as a punch in the throat...

Razz

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The CRH   Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:21 pm

How about this one, loved this vid so much I embedded into Hapkido Online:

Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The CRH   Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:54 am

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The CRH   

Back to top Go down

The CRH
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Real Life Superheroes - The Forum :: General Information :: Self Defense & Martial Arts-
Jump to: