HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Excited Delirium Syndrome - Scary Shit you should know about

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bridges

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Excited Delirium Syndrome - Scary Shit you should know about   Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:11 pm

"The term excited delirium, a condition described as an individual totally out of control, unable to be reasoned with or talked down, and possessing great feats of strength is somewhat vague and ill defined; but is well known to any police officer, paramedic , or emergency clinician." (1) Basically, people go batshit crazy for a variety of reasons (commonly cocaine, PCP, or Methamphetamine intoxication, however other causes such as "hypoglycemia, thyroid storm, certain kinds of seizures" are possible). They are almost impossible to hold down due to decreased pain sensitivity, disorientation/bizarre behavior, and above normal strength (2). Since they are basically going into shock / an over-amped "Fight Mode" - they tend to crash and die if not attended to by medical personnel quickly.

Like I said, scary shit.

Of course, there's more.

"The diagnosis of excited delirium has been controversial.[5][6] Excited delirium has been listed as a cause of death by some medical examiners for several years,[7][8] mainly as a diagnosis of exclusion established on autopsy.[1] Additionally, academic discussion of excited delirium has been largely confined to forensic science literature, providing limited documentation about patients that survive the condition.[1] These circumstances have led some civil liberties groups to question the cause of death diagnosis, claiming that excited delirium has been used to "excuse and exonerate" law enforcement authorities following the death of detained subjects, a possible "conspiracy or cover-up for brutality" when restraining agitated individuals.[1][5][6]" (3).

In part because it is a diagnosis less of symptoms and more of "Shit hit the fan and then the guy died", ExDS does have the potential to be used as an excuse for police brutality. One example may be the recent deaths involving the border patrol (4). However, the general consensus of what I've found led me to believe it is becoming more and more legitimate reason for unexpected fatalities of apprehended suspects. That is not to say that police are being given more leeway. If anything, now that ExDS is becoming more understood, law enforcement and other emergency response orgs will be expected to develop protocols to handle it (5).

What this means to you guys:

I'm not sure. I'm posting this to see what you guys think. My gut reaction is that if I see someone naked and throwing loaded trashcans at people, I'm going to let the police do their job and only try to minimize harm to bystanders. My fear is that attempting to do anything more will end up with at least one person in the morgue, and, assuming I survive the encounter, there might also be a murder charge to deal with.

Sources:

(1) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
(2) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
(3) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
(4) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
(5) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Proteus

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Excited Delirium Syndrome - Scary Shit you should know about   Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:51 pm

Quote :
I'm going to let the police do their job and only try to minimize harm to bystanders.

Granted this is just my opinion, but I feel this should pretty much be the primary role of any RLSH in any given situation, especially given what has been happening in the news lately. Observe, report, keep innocents out of harm's way.
Back to top Go down
Bridges

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Excited Delirium Syndrome - Scary Shit you should know about   Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:06 pm

Unless you're actually trained to do more in a safe and legal manner, I absolutely agree.

Note: A blackbelt in KarateboxingMMAmaga does not make you certified to handle a mentally unstable person. If you worked in a mental hospital as an orderly, that's another story.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Excited Delirium Syndrome - Scary Shit you should know about   Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:07 am

I spent 3 years in an abusive psychiatric facility....not as an orderly though, but I have a lot of experience dealing with psychopaths. XD
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Excited Delirium Syndrome - Scary Shit you should know about   Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:54 am

Hero Boy, you wouldn't happen to also be known as 204 would you?
Back to top Go down
Leviathan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Excited Delirium Syndrome - Scary Shit you should know about   Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:47 am

Kinda lagging there Gadget, he's been outed and routed for a while. UA already gave him a warning.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Excited Delirium Syndrome - Scary Shit you should know about   

Back to top Go down

Excited Delirium Syndrome - Scary Shit you should know about
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1