Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Shadow Cat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:31 pm

Helix - sure , Ninjutsu self is meaning All of the different Jutsu`s ^^
there is a big part of the Taijutsu , and that is also like martial art Wink
sure the masters had teach there "students" in Taijutsu, thats the biggest part of the training.
study about killing , hmmm.... i not can say no thats right, but other Fighting styles make the same, a boxer - krav maga etc.... can kill you too.
samuray - i just say ---> "They had need thousands of samuray to erase Iga and Koga !!!"
Ninjutsu is sooo sooooo much more than only stealth , spionage and sabotage ! Smile
Ishikawa Goemon - this guy was like Robin Hood
Back to top Go down
ProfessorProletariat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:05 pm

The first form of fighting I ever learned was marine corp boxing from my grandfather.  He taught me how to hit like a truck. 

For a little over a year now I've been studying Northern Style Chinese Drunk Fist (more commonly referred to as 8 Immortals Drunken Boxing).  It is deceptive and powerful.  In addition to hand to hand combat, I'm also trained with weapons like Guan Dao, Iron Staff, Straight and Broad Swords.
Back to top Go down
Anyman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:23 pm

@Shadow Cat,
With all due respect, in keeping up with Hatsumi's statements, it seems that you mean budo taijutsu. Ninjutsu is a compilation of principles and techniques that, according to Bansenshukai, is all about covert operation, disguise and impersonation, intelligence-gathering, and surveillance; budo taijutsu is a skill that, conceptually, would have been practiced by warriors in general.
Back to top Go down
ProfessorProletariat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:11 pm

So, I may be wrong here, but I was under the impression that Togakure-ryu--the oldest recorded form of ninjutsu--was more based on Chinese and Tibetan martial arts than any sort of bushido or shinobu which Daisuke Nishino abandoned due to the hypocrisy of Oho Era Japan's virtues and laws.  Nishino met a Chinese monk in exile and adapted what he learned into a more aggressive school of thought.  In a sense, the original tradition of ninjutsu can be seen as having arisen from a spirit of "fuck the samurai!" amongst the peasants and lower nobility.  Through use of stealth and Hensojutsu, early ninjas would set an ambush with the intent to kill their target (usually a corrupt Samurai or rival clan member) in a single stroke and be quickly off into the night.

Much of the modern concept of the ninja actually comes from Noh theatre if I'm not mistaken.  After centuries of hearing ninja stories and seeing ninjas in plays, audiences knew the Ninja was going to be one of seven disguises: a priest, samurai, merchant, craftsman, performer, puppeteer, or farmer.  So dramatists started having the ninja disguise itself as one of the stagehands all dressed in black (whom audiences had long since learned to ignore as part of the theatre magic) and caught everyone by surprise. 

TL;DR:  Ninjas can break the 4th wall.
Back to top Go down
Anyman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Togakure Ryu...   Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:17 pm

ProfessorProletariat wrote:
So, I may be wrong here, but I was under the impression that Togakue-ryu--the oldest recorded form of ninjutsu--was more based on Chinese and Tibetan martial arts than any sort of bushido which Daisuke Nishino abandoned due to the hypocrisy of Oho Period Japan's virtues and laws.  In a sense, the original tradition of ninjutsu can be seen as having arisen from a spirit of "fuck the samurai!" amongst the peasants and lower nobility.  Through use of stealth and Hensojutsu, early ninjas would set an ambush with the intent to kill their target (usually a corrupt Samurai or rival clan member) in a single stroke and be off into the night.

Much of the modern concept of the ninja actually comes from Noh theatre if I'm not mistaken.  After centuries of hearing ninja stories and seeing ninjas in plays, audiences knew the Ninja was going to be one of seven disguises: a priest, samurai, merchant, craftsman, performer, puppeteer, or farmer.  So dramatists started having the ninja disguise itself as a stagehands all dressed in black (whom audiences had long since learned to ignore as part of the theatre magic) which caught everyone by surprise.  TL;DR:  Ninjas can break the 4th wall.
That's the most popular claim, but there's no historical evidence for it. According to Bansenshukai, volume I, "It began as a military strategy of emperor Fushigitei, and by the time of Kotei it was fully employed. Since then, it has been transmitted into the following generations... although we say that ninjutsu, as a military affair, has been in use since Fushigitei and Kotei, it's records were hidden, and it only existed in substance. It's essence could be seen in various ancient records.

According to Shoninki, "Although ninjutsu has existed in Japan since ancient times, it was revealed openly for the first time during the Gempei war, when Minamoto no Kuro Yoshitsune selected valiant warriors to employ during the battle as shinobi. During the Kenmu era, ninjutsu was used countless times by Kusonoki Masashige... eventually, this knowledge reached the Koga and Iga regions. From there, ninjutsu next expanded into other provinces until it became known throughout the country.

Most of the records regarding Togakure ryu didn't exist, until the time of Toshitsugu Takamatsu, and others didn't exist until the time of Masaaki Hatsumi, who won't let objective historians examine his scrolls. Hatsumi's sokeship isn't as cut and dried as it seems, either.

There's an organization called the Historical Ninjutsu Research Team, which has a facebook page. Most, if not all questions about historical ninjutsu can be answered by that page, or by natori.co.uk and all their materials.

Also, while there are plenty of false claims and rumors floating around about the Historical Ninjutsu Research Team and their affiliates, it should be noted that the head of the team was granted permission by the last surviving members of the Natori clan to reorganize and revitalize Natori ryu.
Back to top Go down
qshot789

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:45 pm

I'm only 5'3'' and about 120 lbs. Any suggestions on what martial arts I should or could learn?
I should be bulking up a bit soon. But I doubt my height will change.
So any ideas?
Back to top Go down
New Here

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:59 pm

I'm 5' 2" and around 110 Lbs. give or take, probably take. I'm also female so that is a factor too and I'm going to learn either Karate or Tae Kwon Do. Or both. I was waiting until my job at the school dishwashing station got back into full swing so that I could see any schedule changes from last year to this year and plan around them. Now that it's going again I can call about lessons at a local martial arts center. I plan to tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
ProfessorProletariat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:44 pm

Taekwondo is great, any kind of kickboxing to be honest.  Muy Thai is also great.  I would also recommend Xing Yi Quan or T'ai Chi Quan.  Both of the latter styles are known for letting smaller people generate explosive bursts of power by putting your body into every strike.
Back to top Go down
New Here

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:31 pm

I have an issue with my hip where it popped out of socket 6 or 7 times between the ages of 3 and 7. The cause was never known and doctors said if it popped out again they would have to put metal pins in to keep it in place. It's unknown if it's a threat now so which styles would be best do you think? Don't want to have to have surgery.
Back to top Go down
Equal

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:20 pm

qshot789 wrote:
I'm only 5'3'' and about 120 lbs. Any suggestions on what martial arts I should or could learn?
I should be bulking up a bit soon. But I doubt my height will change.
So any ideas?

Albert Einstein wrote:
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live it's whole life beliving that it is stupid.
Back to top Go down
ProfessorProletariat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:37 pm

New Here wrote:
I have an issue with my hip where it popped out of socket 6 or 7 times between the ages of 3 and 7. The cause was never known and doctors said if it popped out again they would have to put metal pins in to keep it in place. It's unknown if it's a threat now so which styles would be best do you think? Don't want to have to have surgery.
Taekwondo, being a very kicky martial art, puts a lot of strain on hips and legs as the whole point of the style is to perform fancy and sometimes silly kicks at a bunch of odd angles.  That might not be the art for you then.

Xing Yi Quan and T'ai Chi Quan are very straight backed and direct fighting styles that can be practiced by the young and small or the old and brittle to equal success thanks to the "magic" of internal strength that's generated from your core.  Xing Yi Quan is the more aggressive of the two styles and the one I would recommend for anyone who doesn't have a "traditional" fighter's build.
Back to top Go down
New Here

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:10 pm

Thanks. I will look into it! piratVery Happy  Hit the wrong emoticon at first. Sorry. Wouldn't let me delete it.
Back to top Go down
ProfessorProletariat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:40 pm

Here's a good starting point, actually:  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
New Here

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:30 pm

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sage

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:48 am

Studied Tao Kwon Do for two years. Eventually moved onto Jeet Kune Do.  I kind of like the escrima stick too Smile
Back to top Go down
Rook

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:59 pm

I'm going to side with Proletariat, there.  TKD, developed by farmers who were defending themselves and more heavily armed individuals who were often on horseback, is a marvelous kicking art.  However, if you have hip problems, you should probably minimize your kicks.  Truly, kicks need not be above knee height to be effective in self defense.  

Tai Chi is a very effective martial art that can be practiced and utilized without messing up your hip.  Indeed, it might do you some good in that department, but enroll in a land-based class before going it alone.

-Rook
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:51 am

Low kicks are sneakier, and much harder for an untrained fighter to avoid than high or jumping kicks.
Back to top Go down
Equal

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:18 am

And it's a lot easier to stay on your feet. And keeping others from your feet.
Back to top Go down
Loco

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:37 am

Took Karate as a kid for a few years, but left because it was 'boring'. (Even though I could hold my own against higher levels, my then Sensei refused to level me up due to the 'bad attitude' I had back then...) My current fighting style is a mix of that along with a bit of brawler and some Kung Fu moves mimicked from the internet. I really want to take up fighting classes again though... Have been considering Parkour (However it's spelt).
Back to top Go down
Delta_RLSH

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:43 am

New Here,

Have you thought to check with a doctor, chiropractor or licensed physical therapist to see how the hip would affect your practicing of a martial art.
This is not to say that we don’t have a number of knowledgeable people here, but someone who could examine your specific flexibility, strength and structure might be better able to advise you.
Back to top Go down
Rook

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:54 am

Delta_RLSH wrote:
New Here,

Have you thought to check with a doctor, chiropractor or licensed physical therapist to see how the hip would affect your practicing of a martial art.
This is not to say that we don’t have a number of knowledgeable people here, but someone who could examine your specific flexibility, strength and structure might be better able to advise you.

Touche'

-Rook
Back to top Go down
Anyman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:22 pm

@New Here,

Look up training videos by Carl Cestari. More hand techniques than foot techniques, and they can be modified to do less damage. You may also want to look up "Fairbairn" or "defendu".
Back to top Go down
New Here

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:35 pm

Cool. I'll check them out!
Back to top Go down
blueguardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:28 pm

I'm just starting on this forum but have been patrolling for years.  For me I've done two separate karate classes when I was younger, two years of aikido when I was younger, two years of fencing classes, a year of parkour and free running classes, and I've been doing boxing classes for about two years now and still going.
Back to top Go down
Sage

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:20 am

I tend to look at the scenario of a fight as simplistically as I can, which is something I learned from Bruce Lee.  Do the most damage in the least amount of time possible.  That might sound ruthless in a way, but if you want to walk away from a fight, you really need to consider it.  There isn't a whole lot of training necessary for this sort of thing.  You could look at it as common sense.  If someone grabs you or throws a punch, what do you do?  Do you use some 5-step technique to bring down your assailant?  Or do you simply knee him in the groin, kick him in the instep of his foot, jab him in the eye, punch him in the throat, etc.?

We're talking real self-defense here.  If you're patrolling, you're putting your life in your own hands.  Tae Kwon Do, as I learned while practicing it, is not going to save your life.  It's fun, and fancy, and would probably scare people if you're able to demonstrate it, but it's too complex and rigid.

Like Bruce Lee said, have "no way" as "way".  In other words, don't practice martial arts.  Simply do what is necessary, and leave the rest behind.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   

Back to top Go down

What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next