Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Sage

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:04 pm

Blue Rattler wrote:
I was curious what martial arts you all have (or do) practice?

Started with Tae Kwon Do at a young age, but after that I got into Jeet Kune Do. Unfortunately, I no longer practice because of a car accident I was in several years ago.
Back to top Go down
Archimedes

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:15 pm

Maybe you could do Tai Chi sage? It is good for the body, and a good martial art; my original master was trained in Tai Chi and was terrifying with it.
Back to top Go down
Sage

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:39 pm

Hmm... I have considered it, but Tai Chi teachers are few and far between where I live. Still, if you think it would be a valid martial art for self defense, I'll look into it some more.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:30 am

Sage, if I might, what auto accident infirmities are you suffering from? Have you asked a doctor if you can continue your training?

I teach people with disabilities regularly. We have to adapt the art a little bit to account for some slight limitations but we are still able to keep it extremely effective.

I've got a guy with titanium pins holding his spine together and a bad rotator cuff. I've got another guy with a gimpy knee. We just work around it and do what we can.
Back to top Go down
Archimedes

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:23 am

Speaking of gimpy knees, Drunken Cripple is a great form to train in because it helps your balance and teaches you how to use both martial arts and momentum in a fight.
Back to top Go down
Sage

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:12 am

Instructor wrote:
Sage, if I might, what auto accident infirmities are you suffering from? Have you asked a doctor if you can continue your training?

Broken arms, broken ankles, and stomach injuries (were I hit in the stomach I'd probably end up in the hospital. I'm a little like Wolverine without the cool abilities. So yeah, martial arts, I'm afraid (except maybe Tai Chi) is out of the question. Speaking of which, I have been looking for a Tai Chi teacher but it hasn't been encouraging. I like living in the countryside, but everything is so damn far away.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:33 am

You might also check into Baugua or Hsing I. Both are very much like Tai Chi, that is soft gentle arts with real effectiveness.

If you don't have anybody local, this is the best distance program I've seen for it: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Just click the black logo.
Back to top Go down
Archimedes

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:42 am

I heard of synthetic anabolics that stimulate the bodies ability to repair itself, maybe you could use them with physical therapy-like training to put yourself back together? Low side effects, effective, and makes any medication you take for injuries more effective.
I can tell you more if you message me, but as always I suggest talking to your doctor before trying anything.
Back to top Go down
Sage

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:29 am

Quote :
You might also check into Baugua

Actually, I have looked into that. Circle-walking and the like. I found out about it (and this may sound funny) from the cartoon Avatar. The movements for Airbending in that show are based on Bagua. Honestly, I just like the idea of a non-confrontational martial art. To move like air, avoid and evade attacks, and use your opponents movements against themselves.

Unfortunately, White Owl, I am long past the physical therapy stage. The accident was 7 years ago. The way I am now is just the way it is.

I'm kind of taking this thread off topic, so anyway, I'll look into Bagua a bit more.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:49 am

Best of luck with your training Sage, I'll be praying for ya.
Back to top Go down
Nintyplayer

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:38 pm

The kung fu center I go to offers classes on chin na, ba gua, and hsing i. I'm thinking of going into one of them. Of those three, which do you guys think is most interesting? I can't choose.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:10 pm

Perhaps you should sample them all and see if one appeals to you more than the others.

For myself, I prefer a lot of contact which is why I love Hapkido so much.
Back to top Go down
Dark Inferno

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:17 pm

ive done a little Hun Gar Kung Fu
Back to top Go down
Providence (The Brave One

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:52 pm

My martial arts status is Pro Wrestling and MMA.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:08 pm

Mma? Like what?

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:48 pm

Not very experienced. Have wrestled in high school, done grappling, am currently in goju karate and japenese jujutsu and brazillian jujitsu.
I like to train 4-6 hours a week in total martial arts.
Back to top Go down
Archimedes

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:34 am

I like to stay away from grappling martial arts, if I am out there and need to hold off more than one person, it won't do me any good to pin one down and open myself up for the other guy, or worse, allow the other guy to do whatever he wants while I am distracted.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:05 am

In Hapkido if we have multiple attackers we will throw one attacker into the others. One of the reasons I like it so much is it's equal parts striking and grappling. A nice balance for the real world.
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:36 pm

White Owl wrote:
I like to stay away from grappling martial arts, if I am out there and need to hold off more than one person, it won't do me any good to pin one down and open myself up for the other guy, or worse, allow the other guy to do whatever he wants while I am distracted.
Foolish imo, 1 on 1 you would be handled by any grappler too close to you with no knowledge of grappling
Multiple attackers is a low win scenario regardless best to have all possible skills
Back to top Go down
Rook

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:15 pm

An old saying is that "all fights eventually go to the ground."

I'm not convinced that such a sweeping generalization is true, but being able to defend yourself with some good ground techniques is helpful. I'll admit that it's probably my weakest area (I'm more of a striker), but an area worth developing.

-Rook
Back to top Go down
Blue Rattler

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:41 pm

IMO, the ground is not a good place to be in a street fight. Yes, it's good to know how to ground fight.

But when you're on the ground, you're very vulnerable and don't have a lot of options.

That's not a good thing if there are some buddies of who you're fighting who decide to start kicking you while you're down.
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:39 am

That's why situational awareness is most important!
Remember you don't learn grappling just to fight on ground, it also helps you stay on your feet (hence the mma sprawl and brawl strategy)
Back to top Go down
nightmare

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:01 am

muay thai and arnis
Back to top Go down
Shadow Cat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:15 am

22 years protection sports (Fighting is such a ugly word)
With the basics of Ninjutsu and elements of Jeet Kune Do , Wing Chun and Karate i had create a new Ninjutsu style ,
i call it " Der Weg der Besch├╝tzenden Faust" (german) ~ "The Way of the Protecting Fist"
( + sticks and staff 15cm - 60cm - 128cm, strategy, psychology (the best fight is to prevent a fight), shuriken, sword, double knife 30cm, little tricks with fire and smoke, Tio Nashidua Jutsu + iron finger + snake style, traps......
.....looking around me to you all ,...Cool !!! i never befor had meet peoples talking so easy and open aboud this stuff ^^
*take me a beach chair and sit me in this nice round of danger people*hheheee
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:57 am

Shadow Cat wrote:
22 years protection sports (Fighting is such a ugly word)
With the basics of Ninjutsu and elements of Jeet Kune Do , Wing Chun and Karate i had create a new Ninjutsu style ,
i call it " Der Weg der Besch├╝tzenden Faust" (german) ~ "The Way of the Protecting Fist"
As somebody who studies the art of killing, the term "sport" is more offensive to me than "fighting." If you do not fight with all of the means to defeat your enemy, then you increase your chances of being defeated (dying).

Also, real Ninjutsu is not a martial art. Ninjutsu masters did not teach martial arts (at least, there is no historical evidence to support that they ever did), so it is best to assume that if a shinobi was practiced in martial arts, then he would train in the same arts which a samurai would indulge in. Indeed, sometimes a samurai was also a shinobi. Ninjutsu is an art of stealth used by people for the purposes espionage and sabotage.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   

Back to top Go down

What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next