View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:02 am

It's called your "unconscious mind" as far as I am aware. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:30 pm

I think intuition more often than naught is simple subtle pattern recognition.

For a martial artist like me when sparring an opponent sometimes it feels like I can predict their next move before they do it. It isn't because of any special power but because the opponent is doing 'something' that tips me off. The term is telegraphing movement, and is covered on my website in detail. It's only another example of pattern recognition. If he moves his front foot a certain way or even takes a breath, that often means something.

We see a pattern and we respond to it. The more attuned you get the more patterns you recognize.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:20 pm

It's kinesthetics. You learn how certain body movements are precursors to certain actions (if you are observant, that is). The martial artist who can internalize this knowledge has a district advantage over even more skilled opponents, but that doesn't guarantee a victory.

But it works in every day life as well, and not just with the body. We experience many things in our lives, and a certain rhythm can sometimes develop. We can subconsciously pick up on precursor events, and then "predict" the logical course of events to follow. No mystery. Those with more familiarity of their environment may be better at this than others. When is the last time you heard of a 5 year old with precognitive ability?
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:48 pm

Well... it's only called kinesthetics if body language/movement is involved...

:/

Intuition is noticeable in any dynamic system.

I think there is a certain mystery to it -- look up strict definitions of intuition or unconscious mind. They're not really well explained or understood. Terms like that do have the advantage of being accepted as relatively normal, though.

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:03 pm

That's probably why young children are often labeled as Psychic! Because they have had less time in their surroundings than adults, and therefore they're super sensitive to everything around them, and therefore are able to pick up on those patterns that most are more oblivious too. It also explains why people such as myself, who have have gone through an ongoing trauma and develop PTSD, (in my case C-PTSD) often display "psychic" ability. But yeah, I'm glad people are beginning to understand what I'm saying a little better. There isn't any mystery to it, (and if so only a small portion) and it's nothing supernatural.

It's like how animals can sense when a storm is about to happen; on a subliminal scale, the wind, no matter how small changes, as does the temperature, and smells, and tree movements; even if they are so small that humans wouldn't be able to pick up on it with their normal five senses unless they are super acute, and aware, as are small children and victims of trauma. It can be trained simply by being more alert, and through meditation, (meditation however isn't a training method for it in and of itself, it's simply a facilitator; it helps open up your awareness to everything around you.

Imagine what we could be capable of if we were able to perceive all the millions upon millions of little bits of info all at once consciously. We would literally be able to dance between the raidrops so to speak!

But yeah, I'm glad I'm now able to explain it in a way where people are understand what I am saying and that these are simply abilities; not powers, not magick, and not a mystery; just an aspect of humainty that science has yet to discover more of.

On a side note, everything has a heat signiature. Even colors have heat to them, (which is why sometimes blind people can sense colors, because their sense of touch is more enhanced). Also, it explains why "psychics" can sense colors of cards by touch. Basically in order to develop these abiltiies you simply should open up your mind, and try to take in everything around you. Note every item/object/person and their individual functions, and how they can react to other actions, and try to see how everything is connected in why way or another. This I feel is best done when in trance. Trance, as I believe I explained before, doesn't require any special words or gestures. You go into trance probably hundreds of times in a single day. When you're making a sandwhich, you're in trance; when you watch television, you're in trance; when you read anything, you're in a trance. They key is to work towards getting you conscious and subconscious to work together in harmony.

Again, I'm glad to see I'm making more sense to people now. Smile

Back to top Go down
Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:53 pm

However miraculous pattern recognition or kinesthetics may seem though it is still only using the five senses.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:05 pm

Perhaps a better description of the "Sixth Sense" is the sixth sense is present when all five senses are working at the sime time to their fullest; meaning, the five make up the sixth? Just a thought. Smile

Back to top Go down
Blue Rattler

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:33 pm

Yet there have been numerous experiments that show people often can predict correctly a hidden picture 53% of the time (better than average). They may not seem like a lot, but statistically, it's significant.

Einstein said that linear time was an invention of the mind and that all time existed simultaneously.

I think the issue isn't that we have a sixth sense, but that our sense of reality is a little skewed.
Back to top Go down
Blue Rattler

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:44 pm

I think 204 and Instructor are onto something with their meditation: you have to teach the mind to shut up.

Real truth is in the silence.

I know, this may seem really off topic. But I think intuition works best when you have a mind that shuts the hell up.

I think when athletes talk about being in the zone, this is the state where you're not thinking.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:53 pm

EON: I didn't mean to suggest kinesthetics had anything to do with predicting earthquakes. My bad for any confusion.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:55 pm

In martial arts terms, Mushin no Shin or mind no mind.

The zone is different. Some have called this a flow experience.

My hypothesis (completely untested) is that adrenaline released in the brain causes the synapses to fire more rapidly. It's like your visual frame rate increases. In effect your mind becomes like a high speed camera which makes the perception of reality seem to slow down. Like slow motion. This also explains why people in car accidents often claim that it seemed to happen in slow motion.

Of course for an athlete to capitalize on it they must have the quickened reflexes and hand eye coordination to make use of the temporal perception difference.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:58 pm

Even this though is not mystical in any way, simple physiology.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:59 pm

no mind, mushin, absence of conscious intention, flow, in the zone, zen, etc etc... I've heard people who believe in various forms of "magick" say that conscious intention must be destroyed in order to work it. Religions talk about this stuff. Coaches. etc etc.

It's all referencing allowing the unconscious mind to be in control, IMO.

Of course what does that really say, anyway -- it's only words for a phenomenon we can't explicitly describe, just like the other descriptors.

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:14 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Intuition can, in a sense, be improved through dramatic life experiences. Tense experiences
capture much more information than a relatively calm life experience. A tense experience causes your brain to go into overdrive. Overdrive allows your brain to take in more information from
its surroundings. The information relating to that experience is then stored in your brain for future reference. Because emotional experience leave behind very vivid memories those will stand out in your brain's database.

In the future, while living your life, you will come upon a situation where your subconscious recognizes a pattern. This subconscious recognition of a pattern is then expressed as a "gut feeling".

Intuition, muscle memory, kinesthetics and spatial awareness are tools already at our disposal. Meditation, exercise and eating healthy simply help our bodies and minds become much more efficient.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:18 pm

Without meaning any offense to everybody, all these posts that assume I never heard of anything and in the future will be enlightened because you guys briefly mention things I've experienced for years and years and years...

It's just getting a little ________________________________.

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:23 pm

E0N wrote:
Without meaning any offense to everybody, all these posts that assume I never heard of anything and in the future will be enlightened because you guys briefly mention things I've experienced for years and years and years...

It's just getting a little ________________________________.

I was just thinking out loud to see how my understanding of intuition could be enhanced by the points of view of others.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:27 pm

It's not particularly you... it's the general tone that's prevailing in these psychic mumbo jumbo discussions.

I generally like to assume people I'm talking with have had life experiences... ya know?

Versus... "I would like to introduce you to a new concept. It's called meditation (pronounced med-eee-tay-shun)..." etc etc.

Heh... yeah. Anyways.

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:43 pm

yes, it's old data, very old. Frankly it's probably not relevant for RLSH. It took years of MA training to even glimmer this stuff for real. Most RLSH aren't willing to commit the time.
Back to top Go down
Blue Rattler

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:21 pm

I personally appreciate the info and insights.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:26 pm

Grr, I know, lol. That's one of the primary things I feel so upset about; most RLSH aren't willing to commit the time. I feel like saying "You're friggin' superheroes; you should be the best, evolved, you that you can be!!" I feel superheroes should hold themselves to a higher standard than most. We should be rolemodels, and facilitators of growth and change. Instead most RLSHs seem, (in my opinion) to be focused on costuming, armoring, and butting heads with whoever they feel is a bully. The RLSHs that show a trmendous, significant amount of character are few and far between. In my opinion, the following superheroes are probably the most virtuous, and morally sound: Superhero, Thanatos, Knight Hood, Life, Zetaman, (though reitired, he was a great rolemodel), Crimson Catalyst, Rook, and Sky Man. I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones that really stand out to me because they seem to try and go above and beyond their limits and inspire growth in others. I feel that's what a superhero should be. Smile

...I think I just got a good idea for a new thread...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:27 pm

(My last message was in response to Instructor's last message) Smile

Back to top Go down
Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:32 pm

the only RLSH you have any control over is yourself. Raise the bar in your own life.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:45 pm

204 wrote:
Grr, I know, lol. That's one of the primary things I feel so upset about; most RLSH aren't willing to commit the time. I feel like saying "You're friggin' superheroes; you should be the best, evolved, you that you can be!!" I feel superheroes should hold themselves to a higher standard than most. We should be rolemodels, and facilitators of growth and change. Instead most RLSHs seem, (in my opinion) to be focused on costuming, armoring, and butting heads with whoever they feel is a bully. The RLSHs that show a trmendous, significant amount of character are few and far between. In my opinion, the following superheroes are probably the most virtuous, and morally sound: Superhero, Thanatos, Knight Hood, Life, Zetaman, (though reitired, he was a great rolemodel), Crimson Catalyst, Rook, and Sky Man. I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones that really stand out to me because they seem to try and go above and beyond their limits and inspire growth in others. I feel that's what a superhero should be. Smile

...I think I just got a good idea for a new thread...

Perhaps some of us already meditate.

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:57 pm

I don't find traditional meditation to be as useful as training, but that's just me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:23 am

I'm well aware that there are those who do practice these abilities and work towards honing their mind, body, and spirit to the peaks of their perfection; my messages are primarily sent out to those who either don't, or do not know of it yet, or those that are unable to understand the significance of it. You, EON, are not one of those people. I feel you are well aware and have a lot more skills that many RLSH may find absurd. You have succeded though, where I failed; you kept it to yourself, and ths became a respected member of the community. Personally, I don't really care if people like me, all I ask is that those who think I am crazy, absurd, or naive hear me out. Thanks for the feedback, though; I probably should have clarified that before, as I am not trying to say that there aren't any that are working towards these abilities, but just that few do. (Or, perhaps, they are just so far under the radar with it, that they appear not to have any knowledge of it....hmm, kinda like a secret identity within a secret identity, lol) Again, thanks for the feedback. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   

Back to top Go down

Sixth Sense
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next