Share | 

New Guy Help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AliasUnknownATM

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: New Guy Help   Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:25 pm

So, as my name implies, I do not yet have an alias (I'm unsure what my motif/moniker/alter ego will be). I won't actually be able to join the RLSH community for a while, as I intend to get a few more years of training in. I arrived here after researching the subject on the internet, and am simply looking for any tips that anyone has to get me started. I'm 20 years old, have military stealth combat training, knowledge of several martial arts and weapons training, and some knowledge of what is and is not legal when dealing with RLSH's. Anyone have anything to say that could help?
Back to top Go down
JohnDoe

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Help   Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:35 pm

Stealth combat training?
Back to top Go down
AliasUnknownATM

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Help   Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:40 pm

Tatics the military would use to approach a target without being seen, stuff like that. Probably poor wording on my part. To clarify, I probably should have said stealth training, for example, ninjitsu, as well as military combat tatics that could be used hand in hand with it.
Back to top Go down
JohnDoe

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Help   Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:41 pm

You ex-military?
Back to top Go down
AliasUnknownATM

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Help   Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:45 pm

Yes. I'm not revealing which branch though.
Back to top Go down
AliasUnknownATM

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Help   Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:36 pm

So, does anyone have anything HELPFUL to add?
Back to top Go down
Equal

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Help   Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:46 pm

Start today.
Back to top Go down
JohnDoe

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Help   Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:23 am

These message boards have plenty of old and invaluable discussions you can look up and learn from by simply using the site's search engine. You'll find information on anything from the proper use of gear to where and how to patrol.

On the topic of being helpful, do you have any specific questions in mind?
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Help   Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:52 am

If you have served in any branch at any capacity you already have more training than many RLSH. I think you should get started as well. What part of the world are you in, maybe you could find other RLSH to go out with.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Help   Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:54 am

Regarding legal. We fall under the same city, state, and national laws that everybody else does. You should take the time to learn your local laws and operate within them.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Help   Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:46 am

Look around your city /town Bring food to the homeless Keep an eye out for crimes and report them to the police Put together a colorful costume and let people know you want to help
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Help   Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:56 am

Good social skills, de-escalation techniques, knowledge of first aid, and a fully charged cell phone are always good to have.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Help   Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:55 pm

Please elaborate on your military stealth training.

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Help   Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:54 pm

So are you saying you were special forces then? They do the most extensive stealth training, but I'd think they'd want to keep you for more than two years if they invested that much in your training.

But back on topic: With the information you've provided here, I see no reason to delay patrols. Every day older is another day slower and one less productive patrol you could be doing. Continue to learn and train, but don't find reasons to not help now.

Now back off topic: My guess is that if you're out after just two years of service, you may be Army, and in the Call to Service program, which would mean you'd still have six years of reserve duty, national guard duty, active duty, or some combination left. But you said you're EX military, and I have no knowledge of any branch that discharges after only two years unless it's medical or dishonorable. Understand that's not an accusation, just an admission of my lack of knowledge regarding the subject.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Help   Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:38 pm

It's possible to do one enlistment in the army for only two years as an infantryman, actually.

No other jobs.

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Help   Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:12 pm

Do infantrymen get extensive stealth training? Or any at all?
Back to top Go down
JohnDoe

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Help   Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:20 pm

Let the man go Sherlocks, damn lol.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Help   Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:09 pm

I suppose if you mean knowing what cover and concealment are, basic principles of camoflage, etc.

It's not exactly secrets of the ninjas type stuff.

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Help   Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:35 am

Sho Kosugi could be the drill instructor Smile
Back to top Go down
Wolf

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Help   Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:21 am

It really depends on what you're looking to do, sir. If you've not come up even with a name to call yourself, perhaps you are not certain as to which avenue of what we do you are trying to ask for advice with/starting to do. It also depends on where you are geographically.

Now. As far as it goes with "what you're looking to do," I will elaborate. We all work together on this network, but for the most part, we are loosely affiliated with one another, and will disagree on certain aspects on what is the best way to make the biggest effect in the field. Some of us, take a Holmesian approach, taking individual cases as they come up, focusing on one project at a time (ie. a missing person, a serial criminal, evidence gathering for a known criminal). Others are more vague, arbitrarily making patrols in their neighbourhood, where they would argue their presence alone deters crime. When they come across something, they report it. Others are more precise with crime patrols, setting up a "bait and switch" and coming down on the offender. There are those who are strictly non-crime fighting, and simply public outreach, or use a gimmick (costume, uniform) to draw attention to a cause.

Some make a combination of these. I, myself, prefer the holmesian approach, along with a regular patrol, and keeping my eyes and ears open for new projects all the time.

Therefore, until you figure out your approach, there's very little direct advice anyone can give you, other than try to keep things as legal as practical (use good discretion), carry a cell phone and a flashlight, and keep your eyes open. If you're here, at the very least you should know what you're looking for, or looking to change.

-Wolf
Back to top Go down
JohnDoe

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Help   Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:42 pm

Also, a biggie would be to be aware of your state laws regarding citizen's arrests and what type of items are legal to carry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Help   

Back to top Go down

New Guy Help
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Real Life Superheroes - The Forum :: General Information :: Training & Preparation-
Jump to: