Five years or so from now....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dark Arkham

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Five years or so from now....   Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:55 pm

Right now, I can't actually join the RLSH movement. I can in about five years or so, though.
I figure that if it's five years until I can join all you RLSH out there, I should use these years to prepare.
What do you recommend I do to prepare for my tansition from mild mannered civilian to superhero?
I understand I need some combat training, which I'm already working on a little bit, but what else do I need (other than a costume of course)?
Back to top Go down
Blue Rattler

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Five years or so from now....   Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:57 pm

Great question . . .

(1) I would study a formalized martial arts (such as Tae Kwon Do or Judo).
(2) Follow the Dave Ramsey Total Money Makeover to get and stay out of debt
Back to top Go down
Dark Arkham

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Five years or so from now....   Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:09 pm

Thank you, Blue Rattler, but what aspect specifically of being a RLSH would cause me to go into debt?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Five years or so from now....   Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:18 pm

Well, if you're like the majority of RLSH you'll want to get a bunch of armor and weapons. That could be pricey. I would personal read the topic I created "My Personal Advice on Training Areas" and "Martial Arts" ; I believe they are both in the training and preparation ctaegory of the board. Hope this helps. Smile

P.S. Once you start training, you should never stop.

Back to top Go down
Dark Arkham

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Five years or so from now....   Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:22 pm

What kinds of weapons would you recommend?
Back to top Go down
thanatos

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Five years or so from now....   Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:28 pm

whatever is legal where you are but stay away from firearms and swords Smile
Back to top Go down
Starman

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Five years or so from now....   Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:54 pm

Well, Thanatos has already mentioned stay away from guns and swords. Also knives, I read a message on the public transport that said that if you carrya knife you're more likely to get stabbed with it. Don't know how true this is, but it's a good message.
Back to top Go down
Dark Arkham

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Five years or so from now....   Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:13 pm

I wasnt planning on guns or swords. Knives, I would think, would just depend on if you knew how to properly use them vs. just having them and attempting to use them. I was thinking less than lethal weapons. I would most likely carry surveillance/ tactical equipment moreso than weapons. What less than lethal weaponry would you suggest?
Back to top Go down
thanatos

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Five years or so from now....   Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:18 pm

pepper spray if legal

batons if legal

tasers if legal

and of course your best weopon....

your brain
Back to top Go down
Dark Arkham

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Five years or so from now....   Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:23 pm

Thank you Thanatos. I saw you on the Superheroes documentary (which I've watched multiple times), and I must say that you are one of the RLSH that have inspired me to take my life in this direction.
Back to top Go down
thanatos

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Five years or so from now....   Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:52 pm

thanks. I do what I can
Back to top Go down
JohnDoe

PostSubject: Re: Five years or so from now....   Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:40 pm

Be realistic about your goals. Cash flow from a career is important because it will keep you from becoming sidetracked by financial problems.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Five years or so from now....   Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:08 pm

I personally wouldn't advise you to carry any weapons. But to each their own. Smile

Back to top Go down
Dark Arkham

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Five years or so from now....   Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:29 pm

JohnDoe wrote:
Be realistic about your goals. Cash flow from a career is important because it will keep you from becoming sidetracked by financial problems.

I understand that cash flow from a career is important. I wouldn't make being a RLSH my entire life.
Back to top Go down
Equal

PostSubject: Re: Five years or so from now....   Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:34 pm

I got three pieces advice for you DA.

Some people are more intrested in giving the advice than getting the experience. A fancy name and avatar don't equal (no pun intended) good advice. So be critical about everything on this forum.

Everybody have their own way of doing this. Figure out what suits you best and make it realistic.

My final advice is become a RLSH today. To me you seem more ready than you will be in twenty years. You will have to prepare yourself for the rest of your life anyway, so why wait? You don't need to be able to climb rooftops and beat up badguys to be a RLSH. All it takes is spandex, guts and good intentions. And you don't really need spandex;)
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Five years or so from now....   Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:32 am

You can always volunteer for the homeless.

Go down to the shelter and ask.

Dress up like a homeless person, ( do not beg for money )

and scope around
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Five years or so from now....   Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:02 am

I carry a multitool but would never use it as a weapon. A good sharp pocketknife (such as a multitool) can be a real life saver. For example, you never know when you might have to cut a seatbelt to get a victim out of a wrecked car or something.

Martial arts is the weapon that can never be taken away from you and used against you.

This doesn't have to be an expensive pastime. If you go into serious crime fighting, then the body armor can get expensive but it's all relative.
Back to top Go down
Midnite Detective

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Five years or so from now....   Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:23 am

Study. Lots of study.
Physical fitness is important. If you're overweight start losing it, build some stamina, get some good footwear and walk walk walk to get used to lots of hours on your feet.

There's more to study than just martial arts and weapons and all of that.

First Aid, LOTS OF FIRST AID. You will come on accidents and other incidents, and quite possibly yourself, where you will be the first one on the scene to give medical help. Learn to do this.

Language. If you are going to patrol where there is a significant population which speaks a language other than your own, learn it as best you can. At least get the basics. You have to be able to communicate to get the maximum effective results of your efforts.

Learn where you are planning to patrol. Streets, locations of hospitals, fire stations, police stations, etc. Know where you are going to be working.

Anything else of interest. Everything is useful. Electronics, chemistry, whatever.
The more knowledge the better. Absorb anything you can.

Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Five years or so from now....   Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:45 am

Learn the laws in your city/state and be sure you know the citizen arrest law backward and forward. Learn what "determination of force" is and how to apply it on patrol, because it will come up at some point. Get to know people in and around the community you will patrol. Let them get used to seeing you in whatever gimmick you choose to wear, if any. In addition to hospitals, I'd say churches are a good place to be known. They put on charity events all the time that you could volunteer time for, and it is also a great way to make new contacts.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Five years or so from now....   Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:50 am

Oh, welcome to the forum Dark Arkham. Also, if you're still in school, keep your focus on that while training your other areas. Don't let the extracirriculars take dominance. A good education is the backbone of effectiveness in whatever you choose to do in life. And eat all of your vegetables!
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Five years or so from now....   Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:09 pm

If you're five years out, I would start with exercise.

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Five years or so from now....   Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:15 pm

You can still do all kinds of things for the next 5 years or so while you are putting your outfit together and they dont have to be dangerous like facing down armed robbers or dealing with standoffs

I would recommend snow clearing if needed in your area maybe look into entertainment for birthday parties and such Do minor cases of crimefighting such as bullies picking on other kids and helping find lost or missing children/pets Organise a park cleanup Vollunteer at local festival and party events and hand out balloons
Back to top Go down
Dark Arkham

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Five years or so from now....   Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:23 pm

Equal wrote:
To me you seem more ready than you will be in twenty years. You will have to prepare yourself for the rest of your life anyway, so why wait? You don't need to be able to climb rooftops and beat up badguys to be a RLSH. All it takes is spandex, guts and good intentions. And you don't really need spandex;)

I'm active duty military. I don't have a place for it in my life right now.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Five years or so from now....   Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:08 pm

DA I am also active duty military. I don't know what your day is like or where you work but when you are ready you will get out there, don't worry. In the meanwhile we appreciate having folks like you on here.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Five years or so from now....   Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:09 pm

I'm actually going on my last year of 20 in the army...

Smile

PostSubject: Re: Five years or so from now....   

Back to top Go down

Five years or so from now....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next