Share | 

Bark worse than the Bite

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Massika

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Bark worse than the Bite   Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:30 pm

Is it worthwhile creating an outfit that has an intimidation factor? Like dark colors, scary mask.....a cape?
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Bark worse than the Bite   Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:44 pm

You will never be able to intimidate a career criminal with a scary outfit. It just doesn't work like the comics or movies. Intimidation has much more to do with your perceived ability and opportunity to do harm than merely looking the part. If you dress like a "dark avenger" but act like Darkwing Duck, you will have a fight on your hands. Much better to let the criminal know that cops are on the way, and get between the victim and the assailant. Our job isn't to intimidate criminals, but to help victims.
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Bark worse than the Bite   Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:43 pm

Function first. Then, if you can do it without compromising function, sure, nothing wrong with some style.
Back to top Go down
Anonyman

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Bark worse than the Bite   Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:56 pm

A scary outfit is going to scare innocent people more than it will criminals. In my opinion, the ideal outfit would be simple, protective, and instantly recognizable as a uniform of sorts.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Bark worse than the Bite   Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:00 pm

When an innocent sees you in a costume on any day other than Halloween or perhaps Mardi Gras, they become instantly suspicious of either your intentions or your sanity. Your actions are what will set you apart in their mind from the average asylum escapee. Don't try to be Batman, and you should be ok. You're there to help, so be helpful and friendly. If you run into trouble, use appropriate measures to either de-escalate the problem or end the threat. No intimidation necessary, and it won't work against the true criminal anyway, just enrage them more.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Bark worse than the Bite   Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:01 pm

That is to say, they will go to increasingly greater lengths to prove how much you DON'T intimidate them.
Back to top Go down
C

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Bark worse than the Bite   Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:21 am

I agree with everyone else. While a scary costume may work in some cases, there's a bigger chance you'll end up getting more hurt than if you didn't go with a scary costume.

Doing the exact opposite will probably have a better effect. Especially for female RLSH, if we assume that most villains are male. I'm theorizing that a female RLSH in a cool, or even sexy suit, would at least have an effect on the villain causing him to stop what he's doing and baffled go "....huh?". Meanwhile the victim can escape.
(Not too sexy though. It's important to be respected).
This technique of course could also work if you dress completely silly, possibly causing the villain to laugh himself to death. Wink

In any case, looks definitely matter. (Next after that comes the way you express yourself. Shouting "Hey asshole!" won't be as productive as a respectful tone, I think).
Back to top Go down
thanatos

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Bark worse than the Bite   Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:59 am

it really depends on the area and what your doing and how you present yourself to the public and to those you are trying to help. the better you use the persona the more acceptance you will build.

if your just dressing scarey to be cool or for intimidation you'll find it dosent work very well. but if you use the look to make a point or be a symbol then people catch on.

my outfit is designed to show that death is walking the streets of my city. people get it.
Back to top Go down
Sleepless

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Bark worse than the Bite   Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:10 am

If you need a scary outfit to be intimidating then you should consider a different approach. It's better to be more accessible to people then intimidating to criminals.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Bark worse than the Bite   Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:19 am

What people actually find intimidating, if anything, is looking prepared and credible. When I dress intending to make a conscious impression (mostly for performance) I try to make those aspects of what I'm wearing obvious, although for real life stuff I tend to hide them.

It's also more than your clothes and equipment. If you look overweight, out of shape, etc, trying to dress to look intimidating becomes even more ridiculous. I realize that some overweight people can seriously mess a person up in a fight, but when you're talking about intimidation you're talking about perception, which means you're talking about what a person looks and acts like.

PostSubject: Re: Bark worse than the Bite   Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:14 am

I like dressing kinda darkly because I'm a real nice guy, even while dressed darkly, so my appearance says one thing while my personality another. I like playing with people's heads and making them question their view of reality. They may just say I'm crazy, whcih personally I don't really care, lol, or perhaps they'll discover not everything they perceive is as it seems, therefore creating a little bubble of mystery to the world, making life more interesting and fun. Also, it attracts attention; once I get things rolling on my Mission I'm going to be posting videos exposing the School, and if I have an obscure appearence, people will most likely look into it more, therefore spreading the word, and ultimately getting that much closer to shutting the School down for good. I have to be more than a man with a grudge; I have to be a symbol. It doesn't make sense to a lot of people, but it does to me, all that's important is reatining my patience and determination; the horrors that went on there are what fuel me and I will not bow to other people's biased opinions; instead I shall nurish those that want to change things; I want to inspire others to be their own heroes; and be a symbol of that no matter what has happened to you, that you alone have the power to break the chains holding you down and can overcome it. That you alone have the power to say "Enough." And that you alone can accomplish anything you set your mind to. So whereas wearing a costume may make you look peculiar, that is really a strength if you know how to use it. Relish it, and nurish it. Become the symbol, and share your message, herald what it is that you want to change; with patience, understanding, and unwavering will, you can change the world, prooving that one man or woman can make a difference. It is time to rise.

Back to top Go down
Wolf

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Bark worse than the Bite   Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:00 am

It really has to do with what your goals are.

My outfit works for me, because my enemies and the people I protect both have a perceived feeling that I am dressed for a reason, and therefore have some sort of authority. If I ask a question, it is answered promptly.

What's more, is, if people are not intimidated by authority, they are still intimidated by what they cannot see that may be under the trenchcoat.

If I'm lucky, I may be mistaken for a police officer. No, you cannot legally identify yourself as an officer, or impersonate one, but if someone mistakenly thinks otherwise, they usually sing.

If someone that you do not intend to frighten gets up in arms, you can still diffuse the situation with words, and still look sane - in contrast to wearing, let's say, a rabbit suit.

-Wolf
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Bark worse than the Bite   Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:24 am

And there's always this if you really want to intimidate people: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It'd probably work better in a dark alley, though.

Last edited by E0N on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : remove Konglish)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bark worse than the Bite   Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:58 pm

@Wolf: Lol, when I heard you say Rabbit Suit, I pictured the Rabbit Suit from Donnie Darko, (one of my favorite movies of all time; I feel Donnie and I have a lot in common, lol). But anyway, that Rabbit Suit would be intimidating if thats what you're going for, lol. Smile

Back to top Go down
Equal

PostSubject: Re: Bark worse than the Bite   Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:59 pm

If you want to look intimidating, a full mask hiding your facical expression give an edge. It make people unconfortable when you are interacting with them. And it gives a lot of fun getting suspiciuos looks and questions from the police. If you like that kind of attention...

I figured out I'd be more effective without the theatrics. Not for what I do. Most of the stuff I've been doing lately have been in a red cross uniform anyways. Quite effective atually, only downside is the damn neutrality.
Back to top Go down
Equal

PostSubject: Re: Bark worse than the Bite   Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:03 pm

E0N wrote:
And there's always this if you really want to intimidate people: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It's probably work better in a dark alley, though.

Dress a sidekick in that and act and act like he's your pet. That could get a lot of attention, intrest and people would defently be intrested in what that was about. Guess it would cost a fortune to pull...
Back to top Go down
Wolf

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Bark worse than the Bite   Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:05 pm

@204

Yes, that was the one I was referring to, actually.

-Wolf
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bark worse than the Bite   Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:19 pm

Oh, cool, lol. Smile

Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Bark worse than the Bite   Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:56 am

This outfit is pretty intimidating.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Bark worse than the Bite   Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:20 am

i've actually been fascinated by a version of this as a patrol suit when you want attention.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Bark worse than the Bite   Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:28 pm

You could probably mod these into bunny ears and go all out...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Bark worse than the Bite   Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:51 pm

The scary outfit Kids may run screaming the RLSH will just relive the scene from Kick Ass where he met the guys breaking into a car
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bark worse than the Bite   

Back to top Go down

Bark worse than the Bite
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1