Share | 

Dealing with Stray and agressive animals

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Dealing with Stray and agressive animals   Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:13 pm

Last week a boy about 6 or 7 years old was bitten by a dog that ran through the school yard durring recess time This is not the first incident that has happened however recently there was a rabies alert out after some foxes were sighted on the edge of town and other people have been attacked by dogs as well 2 of them to my knowlege had to be destroyed for fear of rabies after the encounter with one or more of the foxes

Is there a fighting skill that can be learned to protect yourself from dogs or other aggressive animals? My gloves are pretty thik and go up my fore arm stopping just short of my elbows however they are ment for skidooing or clearing snow not for any type of combat In the case of a dog rushing to attack me if I have my shovel Im prepared to use it to keep him off me any way I can Without my shovel I just try to get my arm in under the jaws and up against his throat I have actually practiced this with my own dog however He knows Im not going to hurt him and I know he isnt going to hurt me and Im talking about a medium build dog or what alot of people see as a very large puppy

When he jumps on me My arm goes under his jaws and I push him down again Ive also flipped him onto his back and pinned him down for a few seconds by sitting on him and I have also sat on his back and pinned him down (Im not using my full weight while doing this ) and He lets me know if something I am doing is hurting him and Im not hitting him

The other problem with the stray dogs around town is almost nobody spays or nuters them They just let them breed and leave poop wherever they like including on other peoples decks and in their yards Already one person is declaring war on stray dogs after hearing about the child being attacked because the number of dogs some people suspect may be more than double the number of people living here
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with Stray and agressive animals   Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:44 am

WHEW!

1. is there an SPCA any where in a 100 mile radius?

2. is there a vet that can be begged to do some gratis neuter/spays?

3. My second husband studied Tai Chi and gave examples of when he reached to pet dogs that he should not have and almost got bit except that

he "moved like water" and didn't get bit.

4. I DO NOT want any animal hurt EVER but I would smack straight down on top of the nose more than once - not hard enough to break bone.

I'd be wanting to stun but one smack won't do it.

5.a stun gun, just sparking in their direction can make them change their minds

or, most practical

6. carry a net.

...big-enough-to-throw-over-the whole-dog is not too big to be too heavy.

From what you are describing, Polarbrother, you'll need to carry about three nets
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with Stray and agressive animals   Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:51 pm

Bear spray, bear spray, bear spray.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with Stray and agressive animals   Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:28 pm

I find that at times Ive had to help catch the dog catcher get an animal I just call "Here kitty kitty kitty kitty" and the dog usually comes running up to me with his tail wagging behind him For some reason that doesnt work as well on cats though
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with Stray and agressive animals   Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:58 pm

Polar-saint, that is hilarious!

I wish that you could get that on film and put it on youtube

and talk about spay-neuter
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with Stray and agressive animals   Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:19 pm

If I knew how to do that Flora I would Even if it was just for a good laugh
Back to top Go down
DarkShadow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with Stray and agressive animals   Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:08 am

Speaking as one who once worked for Animal control, I would suggest trying to calm the animal down in whatever way you can. An aggressive animal would think twice after a good dose of industrial strength bear spray. Granted with the right timing Polarman, you would be correct in doing what you stated if an aggressive dog attacked you. Pinning down such an animal would be effective but always remember to NEVER, NEVER NEVER underestimate an animal until you know for absolute certain that it's been contained securely. I had a fellow co-worker learn that the hard way and he would up getting nearly 25 stitches in his arm once.

DS out
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with Stray and agressive animals   Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:16 am

Polar, do you need a camera?

Somebody here can help you post once you get the film?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with Stray and agressive animals   

Back to top Go down

Dealing with Stray and agressive animals
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1