View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Stealth or No?    Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:05 pm

In my opinion You could end up in the news one way or the other You go with stealth you can end up with someone calling the cops thinking that you are maybe a peeping tom or a burglar casing the house

You do it in the open You can gain the trust of your community and those around you

You can be on the news because you won an outstanding award for vollunteer work or for saving a life or you can end up on the news while you head to court with the police like Pheonix Jones and possibly loosing your mask and outfit
Back to top Go down
Havoc

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Stealth or No?    Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:45 pm

Polarman wrote:
In my opinion You could end up in the news one way or the other You go with stealth you can end up with someone calling the cops thinking that you are maybe a peeping tom or a burglar casing the house

You do it in the open You can gain the trust of your community and those around you

You can be on the news because you won an outstanding award for vollunteer work or for saving a life or you can end up on the news while you head to court with the police like Pheonix Jones and possibly loosing your mask and outfit

Its not like im spooking around in the dark, I have more sense than that lol. I have a single spot that is not visibly obvious that I have a 360 degree view of my surroundings and a pretty good line of sight.
Back to top Go down
Cyph3r

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Stealth or No?    Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:18 pm

Polarman wrote:

Yeah, there is that. Seriously, what was that guy thinking, unmasking for the press? Ugh, that guy, I just..ugh.
But like I say, the sort of stealth I mean is more like gonig by largely unnoticed. Like someone mentioned a page back, the kind of stealth like watching people and not being noticed, stuff like that. Basically the not noticed thing. The sneaking thing in seperate.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Stealth or No?    Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:36 pm

Phoenix Jones's identity was known long before he ever unmasked, and almost as soon as he debuted. Anyone who was reading about him from the beginning would know, but those who discovered rlsh and PJ later probably wouldn't. Also, he was forced to remove his mask in court, so it's not as if his identity would've been a secret much longer. It just makes more of a splash to reveal himself the way he did. Why not do it if the news will have it on tv and in the paper anyway?
Back to top Go down
Cyph3r

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Stealth or No?    Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:49 pm

Well, yeah, but thats from him doing so much publicity, isn't it?
He practically told everyone where he lived. Like that one interview where they went into his comic book store and he went behind that hidden door. Anyone who can match up a photo with the real thing can get in there, probably.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Stealth or No?    Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:00 pm

But back on the subject of stealth, here's an approach:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And another one:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Stealth or No?    Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:01 pm

If he hadn't done all the publicity, I doubt too many people would've cared who he is, so you are essentially correct.
Back to top Go down
Cyph3r

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Stealth or No?    Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:10 pm

Interesting ideas. I've seen lots of statue people around, actually. Probably wouldn't be a good idea though, to use disguises like that. Still, something to think about.
Back to top Go down
Havoc

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Stealth or No?    Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:05 pm

PJ is a clown, in a sense that he talks too much, reveals things and punmps things up
Back to top Go down
Havoc

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Stealth or No?    Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:05 pm

*pumps
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Stealth or No?    Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:43 pm

My outfit actually allows me to blend in with the shadows for quiet stealth if im watching a suspected crime going on I can sit on the side of a snowbank at night or on the hill overlooking the schoolyard area and you wont even know Im there unless you notice me moving around abit
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Stealth or No?    Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:17 am

Stealth is being able to blend I to a scene and never be noticed, and being able to be obviously not belonging and never be seen, and being good at both.

Example: Being able to look like any other typical person that belongs in that environment. Being able to hide in shadowy bushes completely still without being seen. Being able to wait until no ones looking or listening to switch from civilian to bushes ninja.

As always, listen to Thanatos and Eon or I will beat you with my metaphorical cane.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Stealth or No?    Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:02 pm

I guess I should say the part about dressing up like a trashcan or a statue was a joke.

When you actually do secret stuff it should all meet three criteria --

Simple
Secure
Surreptitious

Any "disguises" that call attention to themselves -- even if they can stand up to scrutiny -- are not as good as disguises that don't invite scrutiny in the first place.

That's if the objective is stealth.

Some form of camoflage is a different thing, where basically you rely on not being seen in the first place. That's complicated and unlikely to be done correctly by most members of this forum, I would guess. For instance it involves not moving or moving very slowly because motion draws the eye. And if you're relying on camoflage and it fails, there's not really much you can do... there you are laying in the grass wearing a gilly suit. You can try to explain that you lost a contact lens or something, but basically once detected everyone will reasonably know that you were trying to hide.

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Stealth or No?    Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:05 pm

That said, camoflage does actually get a lot of use -- in situations where everyone would automatically meet you with hostility regardless of your explanation for your presence somewhere. So pretty much "in combat."

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Stealth or No?    Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:54 pm

You'd be surprised how hiding in a bush or behind a fence or on a rooftop pretty much does the job. People never look up and rarely inspect dark shadowy areas around them. If they're out, they're either thinking about where they're going, or glued to a cell phone. The biggest challenge is dog walkers, that dog will smell you and freak the fuck out. That's why rooftops are awesome.

Pretty much, being totally hidden has its advantages, but you can't stay on a rooftop your whole patrol, or behind the same fence or bush. You've got to be good at switching seamlessly.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Stealth or No?    Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:22 pm

The statue and garbage can would work about as well as myself wearing my Polarman Action figure halloween costume while trying to hide in a toy store
Back to top Go down
ArizonaArtemis

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Stealth or No?    Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:08 pm

E0N wrote:
That said, camoflage does actually get a lot of use -- in situations where everyone would automatically meet you with hostility regardless of your explanation for your presence somewhere. So pretty much "in combat."

Well said Eon
Back to top Go down
dcguardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Stealth or No?    Mon May 07, 2012 12:43 pm

thanatos is right here. . .each person must first know what they intend to be doing. . .know their community and know the fight they are fighting. . .i look the way i do. . .because in washinginton dc. . .i must be above board. . .i.e. secret service. . .fbi. . .local law. . .national park law. . .you get the idea. . .my look would be different in new york. . .or onterio. . .or china. . .know your mission. . .it will help show you stealth or not. . .type of outfit. . .and interation requirements. . .dc

thanatos wrote:
stealth is the art of blending in and not being seen until you want to be, if you choose.

there is a time for stealth and a time for public communication. you get further with some public attention to what you are doing and why. and you can fight crime out in the open as several people here do.

it depepnds on your course of action
Back to top Go down
JohnDoe

PostSubject: Re: Stealth or No?    Wed May 09, 2012 2:10 pm

"Ninjas" didn't necessarily run around looking all black and masked and such. They most often just went around in plain clothes as farmers or merchants. You don't need to stick to a wall or disappear into the shadows if you can blend in with a crowd.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Stealth or No?    Wed May 09, 2012 2:31 pm

Zimmer wrote:
You'd be surprised how hiding in a bush or behind a fence or on a rooftop pretty much does the job. People never look up and rarely inspect dark shadowy areas around them.

I do, but I'm a weirdo like that, and always on the lookout for Zimmer-like ninjas. hey, ya never know.

but in all seriousness, running around in all black trying to hide behind trash cans or cars will only get you so far. don't ever think you'll "never be seen." its presumptuous and arrogant. somebody WILL see you, somewhere. you're not invisible. and then the cops will come looking for you because of the suspicious activity.

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Stealth or No?    Wed May 09, 2012 5:19 pm

wearing all black is gonna bring attention to you, unless you live in a rural area wher you have some woodland areas to cut across and such. but seriously, what is all black around you that lts you blend into the shadows, except for shadows. but then the only place you will be able to hide... are shadows, which is dark anyways which means no matter what your wearing you will most likely appear black anyways., bricks are red, cement cinder blocks are grey, street lights will illuminate everything around you and you will be a huge black blob.

i would suggest dark greys and splotches or rust brown, brick red, some black and maybe even blue and green. I think these are the most common colors you find in a city area. A few black stripes to break up your general body shape. It is much easier to see an object of a single color that it is to put together smaller shapes of different colors to get an entire image, spatial imagery i think its called.

As for stealthyness running through stuff, hiding behind things, this brings attention to you. hide in plain sight. like the guy 2 up from this post said, ninjas wore peasant clothing, farmer clothing and such so they can get near their victims and CUT THEIR F'KIN HEADS OFF!!!. too much??

And IMO, stealth like you see in the movies is for the movies, unless you are a parkour master thats gonna jump rooftop to rooftop jumping down 15ft dropoffs there is no way you you can reasonable be invisable and chase badguys around town. unless you wear a costume, just wear common street clothing. Get a reversable jacket, blue jeans, a few different colored hats if you plan on stalking people that think your following them... i mean "Follow" people.

thats my 62 cents on the matter.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Stealth or No?    Fri May 11, 2012 3:23 pm

It would be kind of hard to do stealth right now with the sun being out most of the night and about 2 hours of darkness

In about 3 or 4 weeks Ill be seeing 24 hours of daylight at least until early August and no amount of stealth will hide you from the giant mosqitoes that will be out in full force through June until August
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stealth or No?    

Back to top Go down

Stealth or No?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Real Life Superheroes - The Forum :: General Information :: Training & Preparation-
Jump to: