View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: How far would you go?   Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:24 pm

How far would you be willing to go to self-evolve? Would you risk your health on the chance to become stronger, smarter, and/or faster than those around you? Would you be willing to risk all to rise above the herd of happy sheep?
Back to top Go down
patchwork

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: How far would you go?   Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:30 pm

hmmm interesting. but rather pointless. those who would risk it all are the ones who work and train their body, to make themselves the best they can be. but yes i would. not that im volunteering for some government or secret organization to treat me like a lab rat, just saying
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How far would you go?   Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:31 pm

Feelings of love and hatred can fuel the resolve to do this.
Back to top Go down
Leviathan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: How far would you go?   Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:40 pm

*Raises hand*

I want Ferrokinesis!!!

Just think about it. Other than the obvious Magneto references, it can be very handy.

A wire-mesh suit that I control, can be used for flying here and there, or pulling up large steel beams and large chunks of buildings with re-bar mixed in them off of people. *waits for the men in black suits or men in white coats to come to my front door*
Back to top Go down
Leviathan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: How far would you go?   Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:30 am

PS, not to shit-pick, but doesn't this belong in misc?
Back to top Go down
Proteus

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How far would you go?   Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:17 am

Are you talking like subjecting yourself to experimentation? Kind of "Lawnmower man" meets "The Incredible Hulk"? If that's where you're going with the subject line, then it's an interesting conversation.

With the advances in technology over the past few years and the broad steps being made in science, with stem cells and such, such enhancements are seeming more and more possible all the time. Just as a for example, they've made huge strides in being able to link computers to the human mind. theoretically, genuine six-million dollar man style cybernetics can't be very far off.

Coupled with new advancements in bio engineering, the sky's really the limit, so the question arises "How far would you go to self evolve" takes on a whole new tone. Would you be willing to be a guinea pig to be a living super man? I'm not sure if I can answer that, but I'm interested in what others think.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: How far would you go?   Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:07 am

I am a student of biotechnology, and I assure you, the sky is not the limit, at least where engineering superpowers is concerned. You're certainly not getting T-1000s and Magnetos any time soon. Or, you know, ever, in the case of Magneto.
Back to top Go down
Proteus

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How far would you go?   Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:34 am

I assure you that the sky is indeed the limit.

Setting aside unrealistic references to liquid-metal robots or psycho-kinetic abilities, enhancing the body's potential through bio-engineering, be it strength, mental accuity, even the ability to regenerate severed body parts are even now at this point within the foreseeable future, and with the advances that have been made with power sources and brain/machine interfacing, the potential for everything from matrix-style jacking in to computers to anime style power suits and mechs to full on cyborgs are possible within the foreseeable future.

Now to those who will challenge this... foreseeable does not mean within the next five to ten years. it means that scientists can actually estimate with a degree of certainty that these things will be possible within the next 50 to 100 years... just so we're clear.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How far would you go?   Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:36 am

There's not much that's impossible, only degrees of possibility based on our current technology and understanding of science and the universe around us. Has everything that can be invented, indeed been invented? Not by a long shot. Heck, there's even family games you can buy at Target that use brain power to navigate a ball through an obstacle course. Though telekinesis through science may never involve moving a person, it will be used to drive, remote control our home systems, and help paralyzed people to walk. The applications for industry and warfare are equally fascinating.
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How far would you go?   Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:50 am

I put it here because I felt it related to equipping the self. I may be wrong though. Mods can move it if they like.
Back to top Go down
Nite Watch

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: How far would you go?   Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:44 pm

I'm just gonna get bit by a radioactive spider,..haha
Back to top Go down
Equal

PostSubject: Re: How far would you go?   Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:07 pm

The mind is a part of the body. Anything that get into the body affect the mind. I do my best to be ready for life. Life happen all the time and is unpredictable. Making myself unpredictable as well would mess up my equation.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How far would you go?   Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:10 pm

Cybernetics, gene therapy. Hell even gene splicing would be cool. I'm game.

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How far would you go?   Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:51 pm

I want tiger blood!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How far would you go?   Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:34 am

It is already done on the genetic level. It is called gene doping. Read this article:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/life/genetic/gene-doping.htm
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: How far would you go?   Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:30 am

You said the sky's the limit then immediately made my own point for me.

Obviously there will be advances, but let's remember that most of these won't be directly manipulating human genes. Most biotech is interested in bacteria and plants. It's a young science. When we do start with human genes, and we're there somewhat already, it's going to be mostly about detecting disease early, and treating those diseases. There's less monetary support for enhancement, just like there's less cybernetic research into enhancement as opposed to treating disease.
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How far would you go?   Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:31 am

Zimmer wrote:
...it's going to be mostly about detecting disease early, and treating those diseases..
Yup, and I'd prefer to keep it that way as long as possible.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How far would you go?   Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:16 pm

I already had my dna tested with 23andme.com and have been screened for a lot of genetically based diseases, plus learned alot about my ancestry. I always get updated on newly discovered genetic links to diseases and newly discovered ancestral info. If you guys and gals are really into this give it a try. One word of advice don't do the monthly subscription, but buy the whole package.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How far would you go?   Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:23 pm

One of the beneficial things about this dna test is that it will give you an indication of muscle type, iq, body type, best diet, and etc, so you know where your genetic strength and weaknesses lie.
Back to top Go down
Proteus

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How far would you go?   Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:42 am

Zimmer wrote:
You said the sky's the limit then immediately made my own point for me.

Nah. My statement stands.
Back to top Go down
Anonyman

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: How far would you go?   Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:45 pm

Gadgetastic! wrote:
How far would you be willing to go to self-evolve? Would you risk your health on the chance to become stronger, smarter, and/or faster than those around you? Would you be willing to risk all to rise above the herd of happy sheep?

All the way. I'm willing to risk anything in order to become the best person I can be.
Back to top Go down
Goldilocks

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How far would you go?   Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:49 am

How is having super abilities going to help society at large? It might aid in your crime fighting but it isn't going to change crime rates really.

That's really the whole point of RLSHs isn't it? That no one needs to have super powers beyond average humans, all that is needed is that everyone start trying to do the right thing, be heroes in their own lives. That we can all be heroes.
Back to top Go down
patchwork

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: How far would you go?   Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:01 am

well goldi..... it takes a genius to make it work. ever hear of deathnote? it only takes a bit of creativity
Back to top Go down
Goldilocks

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How far would you go?   Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:25 am

patchwork wrote:
well goldi..... it takes a genius to make it work. ever hear of deathnote? it only takes a bit of creativity
The knowledge I have about Deathnote is very vauge Smile Are you saying there's a way to take a super power and use it to to convince everyone to get in touch with their inner hero?
Back to top Go down
patchwork

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: How far would you go?   Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:39 am

lol no. synopsis of deathnote:

boy gets notebook that kills ppl if you write their name down

boy uses notebook to strategically kill people who commit crimes

boy makes it apparent that a single entity is behind the killings

boy removes all crime from earth

boy is killed

tada
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How far would you go?   

Back to top Go down

How far would you go?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Real Life Superheroes - The Forum :: General Information :: Training & Preparation-
Jump to: