PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:41 pm

added a couple Krys
Back to top Go down
Krystalline

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:47 pm

It's updated. Ako, could you give me a definite street location where you got those tags?
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:41 pm

You know I used to think Metadata and Metatron Arcangel were the same person until I saw Master Legend's Facebook
Back to top Go down
Lionheart

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:43 pm

Where is metadata?

Never mind.

If you want any UK ones let me know.

Doubt its any use to you however.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:46 pm

She's in florida. Part of team justice.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Ako

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:39 pm

Krystalline wrote:
It's updated. Ako, could you give me a definite street location where you got those tags?

7260-7298 U.S. 290 Frontage Rd
Austin, TX 78752

30.324128,-97.679018

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

ill be sending more that are from the same loc.

how should they be titled?
Back to top Go down
Bridges

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:08 am

Hooboy. I'm out of town for a few weeks, but this project just got exciting.
Back to top Go down
Krystalline

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:46 am

The title doesn't really matter, how you had them titled was fine Ako. I figured out how to add things to different pages so now everything has been updated accordingly.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:00 pm

Metadata is data about data. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Like if you have a photograph, the photograph itself is the "data," but geotags and timestamps and such are the "metadata."

If you make a phone call with your cell phone, stuff like what tower you got service from, your IMSI, IMEI, etc... are metadata.

If you send an email, your IP address, your ISP, etc, are metadata.

It's a loosely defined word, which doesn't help much.

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:04 pm

I don't know if any of you guys have used it, but apparently you can search an area (manually) for gang tags using google maps street view:

Example (LA): [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The site: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And just for GP some more LA stuff: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:51 pm

That's a good idea too. I should check the streets I've taken down tags to see if they have popped back up.

Krystalline, you are rockin some awesome with this.
Back to top Go down
Moxie

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:09 pm

I'm confused (as usual) where are these photos going?

I have some that I took with my cell phone today. I don't have internet access on my phone so I don't think there is gps data, unless I'm just not looking right.

I'm so not a gadget person!
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:13 pm

Metadata like GPS coordinates wouldn't be displayed on the phone, but it can be extracted from the digital photo file.
Back to top Go down
Moxie

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:20 pm

I downloaded the program you suggest and I'm not seeing it in there. I don't have a smart phone, just a Rugby. Maybe that makes a difference?

I did find this alley on Google street view, though you can't see any of the graffiti.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:49 am

It didn't 'create' that data when it took the picture then. Good for your privacy, bad for our purposes here.

I know on the iPhone you can toggle it off and on for pictures.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:05 pm

That same option exists on an android phone, at least on my G2. I can also go to the options on a picture and select "show on map" and it will load up google maps and show me exactly where it was taken. This is how I go back to graffiti later and paint over it. From the little amount of time I've spent with iphones I've seen it has a similar feature, although not as practical. Unless you want to see a bajillion dots on your map from where all your photos were taken.

But I can give you the exact latitude and longitude from my phone.

Oh and chula vista has a special gps enabled camera that works the same way. Its very neat.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Bridges

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:49 pm

Recent convo with the guy from NWgangs, hopefully I didn't scare him off.

July 26Bridges Justbridges
Hey there,

I'm part of a group of individuals involved in everything from homeless outreach to combating gang violence. A few of us are currently planning on working on something very similar to your project at NWgangs.com. I was wondering if you would be interested in collaboration with us. For the time being it looks like we'll be focusing on tracking gang territory via photographing/logging gang tags online, but we're definitely open to suggestions.

July 27Brad Nwgangs
I guess I could probably help you guys out, I run this site by myself and ain't really looking for anyone to join me though. I don't know if you've seen my Google Maps page, but I've created a gang territory map based on graffiti and info I've picked up over the years.

July 27Bridges Justbridges
That's fine, we're just doing similar things so I thought we might be able to help one another. By the way, the amount of info on your site is pretty impressive. How long have you been doing this?

July 27Brad Nwgangs
Since 2004

52 minutes agoBridges Justbridges
Impressive. How do you keep track of everything? We've been contemplating using flickr and geotagged photos in correlation with arcgis to make user-submitted content based map, but that's very involved. It seems like you've got something a little simple and perhaps more efficient.

25 minutes agoBrad Nwgangs
I just document things as best as I can. You should see my file folder of all the news articles and emails I've printed and saved. I ask a lot of questions, talk to gang members... I also use Flickr and geotag my photos. It is helpful to see where everyone is tagging. Sounds like I'm doing most the things you guys want to do. Why are you guys interested in gangs?

a few seconds agoBridges Justbridges
We're associated with the Real-Life Superhero movement. It's not quite as ridiculous as it sounds. At it's best, the "superhero" aspect is used as inspirational symbolism - the only thing "super" about it is normal people deciding that they can do more than that the normal person and actually have an immediate effect on important issues. It may sound weird, but with your 6 years mapping gang territories you'd fit in better than you'd expect.

Like I said, our work ranges from homeless outreach to preventing violent crime to anything else in between. Mapping out gang territories is one of the recent projects of the group - with the aim of monitoring and reducing crime related to gangs through things like surveillance, verbally mediating conflict, and the use of citizen's arrests when the situation warrants.

There are also efforts to map homeless populations and resources, develop reliable DIY armor and other tools, and form non-profit organisations. We'd love to have your help if you're interested.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:01 pm

Did he keep talking to you after that?

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:55 am

Not yet, but he's been pretty slow in getting back to me. You think I scared him?
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:48 am

What was the date of your last contact?
Back to top Go down
Bridges

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:48 pm

He just got back to me. He's heard a little of PJ and seems interested. I've no idea how he's actually connected to the area's gangs yet, but he's got my annon phone number. Hopefully I'll find out whether he's safe and still interested.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:27 am

whats with you north pacific people and your secret phone numbers?

Back to top Go down
Bridges

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:26 am

The guy is associated with the area's gangs. I'll hand out my number to almost everyone, but until I know the guy's intentions a little better he gets the spooky nerd number.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:28 am

Okay that makes sense. I just see that trend with people up there.

Back to top Go down
Bridges

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:35 am

I'm working on it, I swear.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   

Back to top Go down

Gang Tag Database
View previous topic View next topic Back to top