Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Gang Tag Database   Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:48 pm

After the success of the Oracle Project, I'm getting more involved in research for a few of you.

I'm doing a research project for several RLSH needing help with gang tag identification.

As I have categorized tags from the Kansas City Meetup in 2009, I'm thinking of uploading the pictures into a folder online.

Then, each of us can take pictures of the gang tags in our neighborhoods that we patrol and upload them.

By tagging them by location, we can start identifying the size and scope of different turfs and help each other identify emerging threats.

Anyone up to the challenge?
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:27 pm

Awesome idea. I'll contribute what I can.
Back to top Go down
Bridges

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:42 pm

There's a guy [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] doing something similar, I'll ask him if he'd be interested in collaborating with us.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:00 am

I must contribute. I think you've seen the archive of gang tags on my facebook.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:02 am

If they were all in one central location, say a Flickr album, and we could tag it by city, county and state, we could really keep track of this stuff. The fact that this doesn't already exist for law enforcement is...terrifying. I would love to be wrong.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:07 am

the city works depatment where I get my removal supplies has a pretty good database of tags. I might be able to get some of that information. of course, that would only be relevant to chula vista...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Bridges

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:12 am

If you guys get an address or GPS reading to accompany the tag, I'd love an excuse to play around with arc gis mapping some more and learn how to graph gang territories.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:13 am

Most of my graffiti pics are geo tagged.

Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:13 am

That'd be awesome. I've really wanted to work more with geotagging but haven't had a good excuse. As an aside, just uploaded a lot of gang info sites to TOP.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Crossfire the Crusader

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:14 am

I used to have a lot of resources on gangs, gang tags, cults, and stuff that I collected up when I worked for the Dept. of Corrections. Most of it got lost in the many moves and such...some got burned up in a fire...some got stolen by a "friend"...most of it is long gone, but I'm gonna have to try and track all that down again and share it.

Who are you? I've never heard of you nor have I been given reason to take you seriously, I'm sure lots of people share my opinion on this matter. Which is why you got your initial response, if you had made an introduction thread or at least made of point of saying who you are you probably would've been received better. (Sleepless)

Sometimes you cant win by fighting the negative, but you can turn the tide by strengthening the positive

SUPERHERO ACADEMY ON BLOG TALK RADIO - returning soon - times TBA - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Krystalline

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:03 am

I'll be back in Chattanooga soon helping my dad move and I'll try to see if I can get pictures of some of the tagging that's there. No promises though.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:24 am

UA, got a link on that tag database?
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:06 am

I do believe their information is in house, and not available online. I'll call and ask later.

Back to top Go down
Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:16 am

I'll go through some of my photos from San Antonio and see if there's any tags that happened to get in. I never went through and specifically took pictures of tags, but they were everywhere so maybe I'll find some. If not I'll take pictures when/if I get back down there.

I seem to remember "PHC" or something like that tagged a lot of different places. The teens I worked with would always just wear their colors (mostly red, some blues) and baseball caps in that color. There were a lot that wore red baseball caps for the Bloods, but from a "C" team (Cinncinatti, etc) as a sign of disrespect to the Crips. There were a lot of red caps with a "W" though, which I never could figure out.

~Rogue
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:07 pm

Is everyone ok with Flickr or maybe Picasa? Not really good with the photo sharing if anyone wants to one up me on tech.
Back to top Go down
Bridges

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:16 pm

Heard back from the guy at NWgangs. He's tentatively agreed to collaborate with us.

Whatever we do, if it can pump out an excel sheet with gps data and a gang name, it'll be easier for me to upload it into a map that shows regions instead of just points on a map.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:52 pm

Can you take the GPS coordinates from photo metadata? Check out a program called Photo ME.

Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:03 pm

you can indeed sir. some versions of windows (don't know about mac) let you see the coordinates on the properties of the picture. right click, properties.

Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:13 pm

The program I referenced, Photo ME, lets you extract date and coordinates from a digital picture.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:14 pm

yeah, looking into that. I remember being more tech savvy...

Back to top Go down
Krystalline

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:23 am

Oh if it's Metadata you need then I'm your girl. I do that at work. From what I understand Tumblr has been one of the highest-rated picture hosting sites recently, so I would say to go with that. I'll see about setting one up for us today.
Back to top Go down
Krystalline

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:35 am

Well, I think someone's beaten us to this idea a little. I googled "Gang tags" to see if I could upload a sample photo to Tumblr to get us started and I got the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] website. They're working in Porterville, CA. I think we've found a possible resource boys.
Back to top Go down
Krystalline

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:56 am

Okay, I set up a Tumblr, but I haven't quite figured out how to move created posts onto separate pages, which would allow us to categorize by city. I've set it up with the name [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] because I figured gang members probably weren't going to be looking for that name, whereas, "gang graffiti database" would have probably gotten us into trouble keeping this away from gang members.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:13 am

I already started taking pics in my neighborhood.
Back to top Go down
Sonic Eagle

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:19 pm

i have some on my cell I can send them to you in a text.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gang Tag Database   

Back to top Go down

Gang Tag Database
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next