Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

To those of you who have revealed your names....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Crossfire the Crusader

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:21 pm

I would tend to think that a company who fired someone for doing GOOD would suffer more from THAT bad publicity than from any supposed bad press from the employee's actions.

But then again, I live in a world of spandex suits and high ideals...what would I know.

Who are you? I've never heard of you nor have I been given reason to take you seriously, I'm sure lots of people share my opinion on this matter. Which is why you got your initial response, if you had made an introduction thread or at least made of point of saying who you are you probably would've been received better. (Sleepless)

Sometimes you cant win by fighting the negative, but you can turn the tide by strengthening the positive

SUPERHERO ACADEMY ON BLOG TALK RADIO - returning soon - times TBA - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
thanatos

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:46 pm

where I used to wrk I would have ben fired as well if it got out what I was doing simply because it was 'not normal behavior' and not "low key and distinguished'

BS

Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:11 pm

What I found pretty useful was to tell everyone at work, personally. That way I had control over how the message was packaged -- and this is army intel, btw. They had no problem with it. My regular comedy routines genuinely help with this (co-workers have seen them -- when they attend I always call them out as "the undercover narcs trying to catch potheads").

Hiding something invites people to dig deeper into it and it invites paranoia as you become convinced people are trying to dig up all your secrets.

I kind of find it hard to believe many civilian employers would object unless it was presented to them in an objectionable way. If you were on film doing what DG does -- maybe, but even then I don't think they could tell you to stop.

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:15 pm

I've realized that's a good way to go, too, E0n. I told my office-mate about Thanatos on Friday and have been easing a few others into it. I'm starting with my team, the ones who have my back on the toughest days.

I hadn't realized the implications of this fact: It is known by all that some of my coworkers are "Jager Girls" - ie, they wear skimpy clothing in skanky bars pimping hard liquor all night long.

I guess I've got nothing at all to worry about - I simply hadn't thought it through. People already laugh at me behind my back so it'll be nothing new. Smile
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:52 pm

Just "spin" it. Once they think they know all about it if they hear something instead of becoming alarmed, they'll probably talk about how it was inaccurate...

"Shock batons... where'd they hear something like THAT from...?"

Razz

P.S. This is an area where people who go on record about how worthless charity is are stabbing themselves in the foot. It's like an onion... build a lot of layers into it and as people peel back each layer they think they've found out "the dark secret" and stop peeling.

If that makes any sense.

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:46 pm

E0N wrote:
What I found pretty useful was to tell everyone at work, personally. That way I had control over how the message was packaged -- and this is army intel, btw. They had no problem with it. My regular comedy routines genuinely help with this (co-workers have seen them -- when they attend I always call them out as "the undercover narcs trying to catch potheads").

Hiding something invites people to dig deeper into it and it invites paranoia as you become convinced people are trying to dig up all your secrets.

I kind of find it hard to believe many civilian employers would object unless it was presented to them in an objectionable way. If you were on film doing what DG does -- maybe, but even then I don't think they could tell you to stop.

This was my advice and MO to begin with...anyone whose input I value already KNOWS most of what we do, even if they don't know what code names we use online. Wink
Back to top Go down
Max

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:08 pm

Some select few know what I do, and a few more know some of it. The people at work know nothing. If they ever find out, I just explain that I'm doing community watch, which is true. I patrol in my civvies, anyway. My big thing to remember is that if I get caught in anything fishy, I will probably lose my job, and if I'm convicted of any felony, it'll cost me my license to do my job. So I gotta be real careful.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   

Back to top Go down

To those of you who have revealed your names....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2