Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

To those of you who have revealed your names....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Moxie

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:46 am

A question to those who have revealed their real names... if any of you are in this forum reading - have you experienced ANY fallout from revealing your true identity?

I'm hard-pressed to think of any way it could truly harm me or my family.
Back to top Go down
thanatos

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:35 pm

any time you step into the public's view, even doing online things with this community, you make yourself a target. there is always some nut/religous franatic/psyco/whatever, who is looking to do something to get his or her fifteen minutes of fame at your expense.

Muslim proverb: Trust in God but tie up your camel at night.

Back to top Go down
Cognito

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:49 pm

Running the HN made us targets immediately. Daring to do things differently has made us targets more than once. Even from "respected" RLSH...

I fail to see how revealing our names would make things greatly different.

There's nothing anyone can do to truly "harm" us online that hasn't been tried. Someone would have to travel quite a distance to deliver any ill-will *personally, physically, and I would hope that any such wannabe villain would remember that Louisiana has Castle Doctrine... Wink

Back to top Go down
Moxie

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:47 pm

I'm not afraid of someone coming to my home, as it is well protected. I'm not worried about someone contacting my workplace, as they have experience dealing with troublemakers with all of the divorcees.

If anyone tried to tell people we know that we're "superheroes" they'd get an eye roll and a big "DUH!!"

I don't know... so far I cant' find anyone who regrets revealing their name.
Back to top Go down
Crossfire the Crusader

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:51 pm

Ive never hidden my name...never had an issue

Who are you? I've never heard of you nor have I been given reason to take you seriously, I'm sure lots of people share my opinion on this matter. Which is why you got your initial response, if you had made an introduction thread or at least made of point of saying who you are you probably would've been received better. (Sleepless)

Sometimes you cant win by fighting the negative, but you can turn the tide by strengthening the positive

SUPERHERO ACADEMY ON BLOG TALK RADIO - returning soon - times TBA - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Artisteroi

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:08 pm

I actually had a thread about it a few months ago. I think if you hide your name the only thing that can be taken from you is that secret. But if your name is known, then there is no leverage to take anything.

Realistically if someone wanted your real id it would only take a small amount of detective work to discover it. Secret ID's are for comics. It's one of those things that doesnt really work in the real world.
Back to top Go down
Crossfire the Crusader

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:11 am

My name is available but unless asked I wont tell it.

And without an official reason to ask you will get my psuedonym CHRIS CROSS.

but I dont hide who I am.

Who are you? I've never heard of you nor have I been given reason to take you seriously, I'm sure lots of people share my opinion on this matter. Which is why you got your initial response, if you had made an introduction thread or at least made of point of saying who you are you probably would've been received better. (Sleepless)

Sometimes you cant win by fighting the negative, but you can turn the tide by strengthening the positive

SUPERHERO ACADEMY ON BLOG TALK RADIO - returning soon - times TBA - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Artisteroi

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:37 am

Superhero told me that his brother didnt get security clearance for a job because of being related to an RLSH.

So I guess there are occasions where it can be an impediment. But if you really want to keep it secret, the best way to do it is to NOT communicate with anyone online in your secret ID. keep it secret from everybody. If not it WILL get out eventually.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:42 am

There's some guy on YouTube saying I'm going to blow up a federal building, but aside from that, not too bad. And wasn't there a guy awhile back that emailed Razorhawk and said I would one day build a time machine? Closer to home, I've had friends of my mom accuse me of using her situation to get news attention for myself. All in all, I think I'll live with this kind of "fallout" and "harm".
Back to top Go down
RazorHawk

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:44 am

Personally I have never made it a big secret as to who a I am. People in my home community know who I am and what I do and its no big surprise to them. Never had a problem with it.

Although I still like to keep my identities seperate so that they can fight online sometimes.
Back to top Go down
RazorHawk

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:44 am

I forgot about the Time Machine thing. LOL
Back to top Go down
Dark Guardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:05 am

The only issues come from other people who are in this community. I'm a little annoyed with people posting my regular id on the internet.
Back to top Go down
Cognito

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:40 pm

Artisteroi wrote:
Superhero told me that his brother didnt get security clearance for a job because of being related to an RLSH.

I'd have to wonder if it was because he was friends with "an RLSH" or because he was friends with a *specific RLSH.

Because if it's someone like, say, Storm Cloudchaser, then I could kinda see it...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:20 pm

yeah... that guy was always a space cadet. and while he may have been peripheral to *some* of us, i would never call him part of the community.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:40 pm

Nope. None personally.

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:09 pm

I'm greatly annoyed that some people are aware of what I do. it's not public, but I have no idea who knows about what I do. and for about the first four months I was doing this, three people knew, and that was it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:12 pm

Keeping a secret takes serious disciplined effort and even then it's just a matter of time before it gets out. I'm not saying everyone lack discipline, seriousness, or commitment, but it's really not something you can accomplish with just a fake name and a mask.

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:13 pm

no, it's not.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Geist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:57 pm

My workplace "found out" and they made it clear that whatever I do in this "eccentric and unprofessional behavior" (their words) is a reflection on the company and that I should "watch it." Later, I got in an unusual police report w/o the costume. No citation or anything, but it hit the fan. My appearance in the report was obviously Geist-motivated and the cops and my company knew it.

That's when I was given a choice between a 23-year career or Geist. I bargained at the end of my rope and offered to stick to humanitarian work in my city. Their final word a year ago was, "just stay out of police reports." and I have.

I am stretching my interpretation of that by assuming that it means police reports that they'll hear of in our city and patrolling other cities. I'm also not sure how they will feel about upcoming positive publicity if they happen to see it. I'm hoping it will paint a better picture of what we do and make them look bad if they fire me for being Geist.

So that's my selfish reason for being a media whore, too. That's a bonus answer!
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:08 pm

I'm sure you could sue them if you get fired for being Geist. They have no business telling you what you can and cannot due in your off hours.

Back to top Go down
Artisteroi

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:01 pm

Exactly what I was going to say UA.

The boss pays for your time and service, unless you work for the military they have no say outside of work hours. as long as you dont break any laws that is. You could probably go to the labor board for them even making the threat. Pretty sure that is illegal anywhere.
Back to top Go down
Moxie

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:46 pm

If I ever get arrested (as in booked, and in the news paper's twice-weekly booking gallery) I'm fired on the spot. That goes for anyone who works for my company. Other than that, I think I'm safe.

I haven't been photographed in any sort of RLSH capacity except right outside my office when I did a coat drive in November. My coworkers were involved in that; they all helped me when I was raising money for the family I've been helping; they pitch in to my animal welfare cause, too. Pretty much, they already know, they just don't "know"

I think rather than "unmask" I'm just not going to worry about being found out. There's something nasty brewing at work and one of my coworkers is digging for dirt on me as it is. There's always going to be somebody up to no good. I'm going to do my best to be over it before it even happens.
Back to top Go down
Geist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:38 pm

UA and Atisterol,
My company has clauses about conduct outside of work written into the employee handbook and work agreement. Over the years, I've had to sign a few things about non-work behavior which seemed sort of benign, but would be legally binding. It's a company in which the reputation of all employees is part of the business. Let's just say that I don't work at Burger King.
Back to top Go down
thanatos

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:16 pm

McD's will do that to ya Smile
Back to top Go down
Statesman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:51 pm

I kept things secret for a while, but really I've only gotten good flak now people know.

It's awesome Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To those of you who have revealed your names....   

Back to top Go down

To those of you who have revealed your names....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next