Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 martial art styles

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Psyphon

avatar

Category :
  • Non-RLSH


PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:55 pm

Agreed
Back to top Go down
JohnDoe




PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:52 am

Ninjutsu seems useful simply because it's the closest to becoming a secret agent without joining a government agency. That sounds promising.
Back to top Go down
Psyphon

avatar

Category :
  • Non-RLSH


PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:55 am

JohnDoe: check out the paper I wrote in this thread [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] . You might find it useful in your martial arts evaluations.
Back to top Go down
Gauge



Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH


PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:34 am

Government agents are nit ninja. Smile
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

avatar

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service


PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:23 pm

Seconded. "Secret agents" learn how to do secret stuff. Fighting-wise they're lucky to get a week or two of training on how to run away. The stuff Robert Redford does in the movie "SpyGame" is generically reflective of what actual people do, although in that movie he directs them all against the CIA.

_________________
- E0N
Back to top Go down
JohnDoe




PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:00 am

Gauge wrote:
Government agents are nit ninja. Smile

I simply meant to draw a line connecting the mentality behind the creation of spies and ninjas. Not in the light of notions portrayed in movies or hollywood but from a historically accurate point of view. Ninjas were created to suit the purpose of espionage and murder in the same way as spies are employed by international government agencies.

Both employ martial arts if necessary but for the purpose of disabling a threat and escaping as soon as possible if and when compromised with the least possible amount of effort through efficient technique. I feel this is almost self-evident.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:48 pm

Ninjutsu = crap, in my experience. Maybe with the right instructor it's good, but most of it is commercialized garbage and black belt factories, profiting off the ninja craze.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

avatar

Category :
  • Public Service


PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:24 pm

I want to disparage those who pump out
"martial artists" for profit ( not much profit )
but
children, raised in martial arts schools
tend to become fine adults


generally speaking.


Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

avatar

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service


PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:31 am

Most "ninja masters" nowadays are hacks who teach you how to meditate (easy), how to walk quietly (easy), how to use inferior climbing equipment (moderate), and basic, women's-self-defense combat techniques with the occasional lesson on how to stab someone from behind (dangerous). And for some reason alot of them have blond hair and goatees. Unless you plan on discreetly poisoning drug dealers, using blowguns to stop drunk kids from driving, and carrying throwing knives/shiruken for personal defense ninjitsu is a pointless and expensive martial art to learn for RLSH work. Learn a striking system you are comfortable with, followed by a grappling class.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

avatar

Category :
  • Public Service


PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:48 am

...and I'll put in another vote for Tai Chi - the pinnicle of redirection
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:46 am

I'd still love to see a Tai Chi practitioner vs Muay Thai. Blue Alpha, as someone who trains Muay Thai and BJJ, there is a weakness I have to admit, and thats the gap filled by a military martial art...the knife defenses, gun disarms, multiple attackers, weapons of opportunity, and other facets you will never train in a striking system designed for sport.
Back to top Go down
Equal

avatar


PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:15 am

I'd love to see a Tai Chi practitioner vs Nemesis.
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

avatar

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service


PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:27 am

Nemesis wrote:
I'd still love to see a Tai Chi practitioner vs Muay Thai. Blue Alpha, as someone who trains Muay Thai and BJJ, there is a weakness I have to admit, and thats the gap filled by a military martial art...the knife defenses, gun disarms, multiple attackers, weapons of opportunity, and other facets you will never train in a striking system designed for sport.

Tai Chi is great for training sinew and form, and for meditation.

@ Nemisis: Exactly why I supplemented my training in Karate and shoot wrestling with Krav Maga.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:28 pm

Blue Alpha, cool, it wasn't an attack, I was just adding to your prescribed regimen for martial arts for a RLSH. That's great you did, others need to as well.

Dogman, you and me both. None of the people I've known who have done soft arts have ever agreed to full contact sparring with me. I would genuinely love the opportunity.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

avatar

Category :
  • Public Service


PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:09 pm

what do you-all suggest for a beginner with little money
when you don't know their fitness level?
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

avatar

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service


PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:24 pm

Blue Alpha wrote:
Tai Chi is great for training sinew and form, and for meditation.

I don't know too much about it, but I've heard there's the more common form of Tai Chi people recognize today and an older fighting-oriented version that some people still practice.

_________________
- E0N
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

avatar

Category :
  • Public Service


PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:27 pm

Finding a teacher who will teach the martial applications of Tai Chi
is not easy.


The very point of Tai Chi is - no contact.

Since Tai Chi is just one "dance' , it is easy for complete beginners to learn
for almost no money
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:02 pm

I woudn't recommend cheap training any more than I would recommend the cheapest taser or the cheapest "bulletproof" vest.

This takes an investment if you want to be successful and safe. If you have to cut corners, you aren't ready. And Tai Chi won't give you a foundation for the full contact training necessary.

Your suggestion should be for them to work on their fitness, and their finances, until they can do realistic training.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

avatar

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service


PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:09 pm

Not to be contrarian, but in principle -- you have to cut corners. This might not be the one you want to cut in particular, but nobody has unlimited resources. Even a billionare doesn't have unlimited time.

_________________
- E0N
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

avatar

Category :
  • Public Service


PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:10 pm

Nemesis wrote:
I woudn't recommend cheap training any more than I would recommend the cheapest taser or the cheapest "bulletproof" vest.

This takes an investment if you want to be successful and safe. If you have to cut corners, you aren't ready. And Tai Chi won't give you a foundation for the full contact training necessary.

Your suggestion should be for them to work on their fitness, and their finances, until they can do realistic training.



So, what will they do about the beatings until these problems are solved?
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

avatar

Category :
  • Public Service


PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:13 pm

I should start a new thread for this one.

Nemesis, since you are unendingly wise,
please,
list suggestions about how to solve financial problems.

Most of America would love to know your answers
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

avatar

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service


PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:14 pm

Nemesis wrote:
Blue Alpha, cool, it wasn't an attack, I was just adding to your prescribed regimen for martial arts for a RLSH. That's great you did, others need to as well.

I viewed nothing you said as an attack,or even as rude. You made a good point.

Eon wrote:
don't know too much about it, but I've heard there's the more common form of Tai Chi people recognize today and an older fighting-oriented version that some people still practice.

Many of the movements of tai chi are reminisent of the "bobbing and weaving" movements of american and chinese style boxing,and the blocking movements of Shaolin Kung Fu. And remember what I said about shadow boxing painstakingly slow working out your muscles? Tai Chi is a great full-body slow shadowboxing routine. I really wanna learn more than the little I know.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

avatar

Category :
  • Public Service


PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:24 pm

I wsa lucky enough to be married to a guy who taught Tai Chi.
He learned and taught the martial applications.

I had no idea that Tai Chi was/is a martial art until I learned
from him.

Because it was invented and developed by monks who didn't want to be beaten and robbed any more, it got 5000 years of testing.

I've learned five other styles and had plenty of cross-training,
but, if someone has limited resourses-time-fitness,
I feel very comfortable sending that person to learn Tai Chi,
even if they don't learn the martial applications.

Once they create the new reflexes, they WILL be better at getting out of the way
Back to top Go down
Sleepless



Category :
  • Crime Fighter


PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:25 pm

Flora V. Arbor wrote:
Nemesis wrote:
I woudn't recommend cheap training any more than I would recommend the cheapest taser or the cheapest "bulletproof" vest.

This takes an investment if you want to be successful and safe. If you have to cut corners, you aren't ready. And Tai Chi won't give you a foundation for the full contact training necessary.

Your suggestion should be for them to work on their fitness, and their finances, until they can do realistic training.



So, what will they do about the beatings until these problems are solved?


They could try not being RLSH until they can actual defend themselves.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

avatar

Category :
  • Public Service


PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:27 pm

Sleepless, there is always volunteerism.

Animals LOVE volunteers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   

Back to top Go down
 
martial art styles
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
 Similar topics
-
» What Martial Art?
» How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts
» Psyphon's college paper on martial arts
» Fighting styles
» Martial Arts options

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Real Life Superheroes - The Forum :: General Information :: Training & Preparation-
Jump to: