Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Lentation/Tineko

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Lentation/Tineko   Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:57 pm

I've been reading some on the subject of lentation and tineko. For those of you who don't know what it is, it's essentially slowing down everything around you by increasing your rate of perception by controlling adrenalin rushes. Think Spidey Sense. To me, it seems really useful in the event of a fight, and I've seen a few guidebooks/people claiming to teach lentation. The only thing is, a controlled adrenalin rush seems a bit cheesy, so I'm curious if any of you know whether or not there's truth to lentation/tineko?
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Total bullshit.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Equal

PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:32 pm

Don't see how it shouldn't be possible. But I belive total control would be hard to learn. I wouldn't depend on it.
Back to top Go down
Sleepless

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:58 pm

Urban Avenger wrote:
Total bullshit.
Back to top Go down
Enviroman

PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:17 pm

Wow, THAT'S a term I haven't heard in a while. While the phenomenon does occur, typically in a high-stress situation, "harnessing" is both extremely unlikely, and, probably, extremely harmful. In addition, I'm not sure what it would do, since the, let's call it, "time displacement effect" seems to apply only to our perception of events as they occur, not the actual speed at which our body moves and reacts.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:14 pm

Yeah... no.

Being in a crisis situation definitely screws with your sense of time, but it's a physiological response getting you ready to fight or run away. Your perception is actually restricted (tunnel vision) and you lose fine motor skills. (meaning you're not enhanced) If I remember right your body is concentrating oxygen to your core in the interest of keeping you alive. Something like that.

I don't suppose you could do that at will unless you can induce panic attacks at will.

You can increase your effective perception by practicing observation strategies. It doesn't even matter much what strategies you use, IMO, as long as they're systematic. You can also increase your effectiveness in a crisis by relying on gross motor skills and remembering to look around because your peripheral vision is restricted.

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:08 pm

...what Eon said
and
you can mount a bunch of xmas lights that blink at random
on a flat board on a wall,
stand close and practice touching each light as it blinks
and
BREATHE while you practice.

In six weeks of doing it daily, you will see improvement
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:55 pm

Quote :

it's essentially slowing down everything around you by increasing your rate of perception by controlling adrenalin rushes

We had some dude a while back who claimed he could do this. He posted it on several threads AND started multiple threads about it, all at once. He's gone now.

Adrenaline can be helpful or harmful, depending, but its near impossible to control.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:57 pm

I wanted to mention that guy. But I liked my response better.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:12 am

The guy that was claiming was talking about holding in "release" until he could levitate, yes?

You can't control adrenaline but you can control yourself.

S.E.A.L. s are men who can do what is needed without adrenaline - calmly
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:19 am

This reminds me of when a friend and I used to goof around playing ping pong. We'd start with one ball, add another, and another. Our goal was not to beat each other but to keep the volley going for as long as possible. After a year or so we actually got pretty good, up to four going at once for several minutes at a time. The weird part was that for several minutes after a particularly good volley we both experienced what, I suppose good be called a perceptual dialation effect. Everything seemed to be moving in slow motion. We were both comic book nuts so of course we thought of super powers. Smile

Problems with practical use:

1. It only lasted for a few minutes.

2. It was actually a bit confusing and sometimes made us dizzy.

3. Carrying a ping pong table around and asking the bad guys to hold on for a few hours while we get our powers working.

But it sure was fun to imagine we had superpowers. Wink
Back to top Go down
Equal

PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:50 am

Berserker rage?
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:53 am

I'd think the berserker thing would be more a, "I don't care if I survive so i can devote everything to the fight" effect.
Back to top Go down
Equal

PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:14 am

The most likely theory is self hypnosis. I found berserk quite intresting as a MA a few years ago and tried to recreate the rage. Worked on on lifting, but found it took to long time to activate to be used in effective self defense.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:45 am

Dogman, that is why S.E.A.L.s use guys that don't need it

beserker rage is uncontroled adrenaline in a body large enough for anyone to care
if they are nearby.

I'd love to do a thread about self hypnosis.
I have about five, simple truths to share.
If someone else starts it, I'll post

That ping pong thing is worth getting good act.
Think about your first year at a piano...not so good...

but 10 years...maybe people pay you to play.

I vote for that pingpong thing getting more attention
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   

Back to top Go down

Lentation/Tineko
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1