How Much Is Too Much?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
New Here

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: How Much Is Too Much?   Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:39 pm

I'm just starting out with my Martial Arts training and I've been feeling some sore muscles in my core. I know this is normal but how do you tell if you are pushing yourself too far too fast? I don't want to hurt myself but I also don't want to hold myself back either. What signs should I be looking for? And also, how long should I let sore muscles rest between workouts so I don't end up hurting myself and wasting time that I could be using to train along steadily?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How Much Is Too Much?   Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:43 pm

No matter how I typed this, its gonna read wrong.

Take cold showers. Your muscles are sore and swelling up. Cold water shrinks muscles and reduces swelling.

Other than that, if you are ripping the muscles to work out, give it a day to repair itself and go lighter to rebuild.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How Much Is Too Much?   Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:20 pm

Work different areas every day, and give at least a one-day break between workouts of the same area. Except the abs. You almost cannot overdo the abs. Be sure to stretch before and after your workouts to avoid injury and extreme pain. Talk with Flora v. Arbor about workouts, she is usually happy to advise, and is very knowledgeable.
Back to top Go down
Trixus

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How Much Is Too Much?   Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:28 pm

Calves are pretty hard to overdo as well

For strength and testosterone release work the legs, squats and deadlifts, throw in some box jumps

Work opposing muscle groups until you can handle a tighter regimen. Let your muscles rest at first its very important.

A good way to split it up it Chest/back, next day Biceps triceps shoulders, abs and legs or cardio every day. You will find something that works for you.
Back to top Go down
New Here

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How Much Is Too Much?   Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:47 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. And by the way...... I'm a girl. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Equal

PostSubject: Re: How Much Is Too Much?   Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:37 pm

Seem to be alot of different opinions on workouts from alot of educated people, so the only thing I know for sure is that diet is important. Proteins make you recover better, wrong carbs mess up your blood sugar.
Back to top Go down
New Here

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How Much Is Too Much?   Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:39 pm

I eat a lot of protien so that is one good thing.
Back to top Go down
Jack Shadow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How Much Is Too Much?   Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:19 am

I'm with Zeta. Ice bath. Sucks but it works.
Back to top Go down
New Here

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How Much Is Too Much?   Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:27 am

Alright....... I don't have ANY natural insulation though. This is going to be COLD!!!!!!!!!! BRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How Much Is Too Much?   Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:50 am

The pain you are feeling is a buildup of lactic acid in your muscles. When you exercise you are essentially damaging existing muscle and the tissue becomes a waste byproduct called lactic acid. The healed muscle should come back stronger and often larger than the pre exercise muscle. You can counteract the lactic acid by increasing your water intake. It doesn't solve the problem but it does help flush the stuff out of your muscles faster.

Most muscle groups require a rest day. The rest is as important as the workout.

The others are correct regarding abdominal muscles, they can get worked out every day.

Martial arts in particular stress flexibility especially Tae Kwon Do which has a number of high kicks. I recommend doing buddy stretches with a partner prior to your workout. Essentially the stretches mirror your kicks. Place your back to a wall and raise a leg as if to to a front kick, then extend it slowly and have a partner hold it and raise it for you. Communication is key just have them raise it till your muscles feel taught, not till you are in serious pain. Make sure they support the knee, you don't want to strain joints just stretch the muscles. Try to relax during the stretch, good time to practice breathing relaxation exercises. You will also want to stretch facing the wall the same way but as if you were doing a side kick. Stretch daily.
Back to top Go down
Jack Shadow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How Much Is Too Much?   Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:58 am

My workout schedule (weight lifting) works one bodypart per day, per week (excluding calves, abs, and forearm/grip exercises). I take a couple of days for total body PT also. It works pretty good for me and when I start to plateau, it's easy to switch up the routines.
Back to top Go down
New Here

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How Much Is Too Much?   Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:12 pm

@ Both: Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it!

@ ChristianHammer: My choices for a practice partner: My grandmother who wouldn't last 5 min. doing these exercises; my 70-year-old grandfather who has COPD, is on oxygen, can't go to the bathroom and back without getting winded, has a pace-maker, and takes 40-11-million pills daily; and my friend with a hole in the cartilage in her left knee and who will be having her fourth surgery on that knee pretty soon (a cartilage transplant this time), and she has asthma. Not exactly the best line-up. Who to pick.....................
Back to top Go down
Prof. Midnight

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: How Much Is Too Much?   Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:52 pm

ChristianHammer wrote:
The pain you are feeling is a buildup of lactic acid in your muscles. When you exercise you are essentially damaging existing muscle and the tissue becomes a waste byproduct called lactic acid. The healed muscle should come back stronger and often larger than the pre exercise muscle. You can counteract the lactic acid by increasing your water intake. It doesn't solve the problem but it does help flush the stuff out of your muscles faster.

Most muscle groups require a rest day. The rest is as important as the workout.

The others are correct regarding abdominal muscles, they can get worked out every day.

Martial arts in particular stress flexibility especially Tae Kwon Do which has a number of high kicks. I recommend doing buddy stretches with a partner prior to your workout. Essentially the stretches mirror your kicks. Place your back to a wall and raise a leg as if to to a front kick, then extend it slowly and have a partner hold it and raise it for you. Communication is key just have them raise it till your muscles feel taught, not till you are in serious pain. Make sure they support the knee, you don't want to strain joints just stretch the muscles. Try to relax during the stretch, good time to practice breathing relaxation exercises. You will also want to stretch facing the wall the same way but as if you were doing a side kick. Stretch daily.

This, and get as close to 8 hrs of sleep as you can after workouts. I have also found that light, gentle activity (walking, tai chi), to move the blood thru the muscles, and stretching, after a workout, helps to alleviate muscle soreness.
Back to top Go down
New Here

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How Much Is Too Much?   Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:57 pm

It may sound childish but I LOVE scootering and skating and do it as often as I can.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How Much Is Too Much?   Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:24 pm

nobody for buddy stretch? Well their are many different ways to stretch the same muscle groups. A little internet research should give you some ideas. Somebody left an old yoga book in my tent when they left when I was stationed in Kuwait. So for six months I did Yoga daily, just to pass the time. Best stretching regimen I have ever run across. Just improvise, adapt, and overcome. You are a hero now, don't sweat the small stuff.
Back to top Go down
New Here

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How Much Is Too Much?   Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:31 pm

Thanks. I'll do my best. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How Much Is Too Much?   Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:28 pm

I may sound crazy(as normal) but meditation in reaching a more relaxed state of mind you allow your body to relax more and to relase strees if you dont I highly recomend trying soem mediation
Back to top Go down
New Here

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How Much Is Too Much?   Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:34 pm

I listen to music ALL THE TIME. It's my de-stresser.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How Much Is Too Much?   Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:15 pm

I know people who meditate to music
Back to top Go down
New Here

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How Much Is Too Much?   Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:08 am

I just relax and try to calm any raging emotions. I feel them sometimes for various reasons and I'm emotionally sensitive anyway sometimes. It depends on my mood, how I feel that day, and what's going on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How Much Is Too Much?   Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:20 am

meditation should be far deeper than relaxation it should be the equivalant to a profressional massage,if you dont want to dont,im just recommending something for helping you train better thans been around since martial arts and still exist,proof enough it works
Back to top Go down
New Here

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How Much Is Too Much?   Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:33 am

I guess the term "meditation" just brings to mind certian religious images from religions I don't agree with. Were you refering to a specific religion or were you just saying to clear my mind in general?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How Much Is Too Much?   Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:40 am

lol in general not religous at all,most martial arts will teach you meditation some focus on it HIGHLY bushido for example ,and kung-fu it is generaly good for your health to let your body relax competly and to competly clear your mind
Back to top Go down
The Reverend

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How Much Is Too Much?   Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:59 am

Wl is right medatation is awsome for healing . I would suggest turning off the music and just sitting in a chair doing nothing for an hour 3 times a week . But if you are hurting after workouts good ! No pain little gain . Take a hot bath . I soak in a hot bath for an hour atleast 3 days a week . When I was 18 I was a 130 pound weakling . 20 years later I'm 175 pounds and much stronger than I look . Btw I think cardio is the best thing you can do for your body . Skate , scooter , run or bike and your body and life will be much better .
Back to top Go down
New Here

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How Much Is Too Much?   Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:04 am

I scooter all the time. The skating rink is visited a little less often because of time (There's a good scootering street rigt in front of the house and the skating rink is something that I have to drive to. I'm a college student and don't always have the time.) I also love horseback riding and now that the weather is warming up I'll be attempting to do it from time to time. Although time and money ($30-$45 for an hr. of riding) are limiting factors.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Much Is Too Much?   

Back to top Go down

How Much Is Too Much?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Real Life Superheroes - The Forum :: General Information :: Training & Preparation-
Jump to: