Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

About to scout out my "turf"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Equal

PostSubject: About to scout out my "turf"   Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:00 pm

Gonna do it daytime, but there will most likely be some activity there. It's a area with alot of drug dealing, mostly dealed by trafficing victims. Gonna observe more closely how they are dealing it (none of them carry the drugs with them, got it hidden nearby), maybe figure out how they interact and stuff. Hope to get a idea of what's going on and who's going around. The risk is very low, a few might have knifes, firearms is extremly rare, so I won't bring any weapons or other protection than distance.

I've never done this thing before, so I'd like to get some tips for what to look for, what to look out for ect. Right now I'm just trying to learn the game, so I won't interact or get involved in anything unless there is danger for life or health. I'm kinda "the only gay eskimo" here, so some experienced advice would mean alot to me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: About to scout out my "turf"   Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:50 pm

Dressing like the people around you helps keep you hidden in plain sight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: About to scout out my "turf"   Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:40 pm

Don't let too many people get familiar with seeing you lurking around. Eventually people will catch on and you will be outted quick. Be safe
Back to top Go down
Fear

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: About to scout out my "turf"   Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:44 pm

When it comes to undercover work, it is best to try and make your appearance differ as much as possible when scouting new areas over and over. Your best bet in that regard will be to span out your surveillance. Make it sporadic so there is no clear times that anyone can figure out when you will be there.

Some things you need to know:

What do dealers generally look like?

What do they do?

How do they act in public?

Being a former dealer myself and being involved in several forms of organized crime, there are distinct and noticeable traits that those involved in drugs will exhibit.

BE CAREFUL. That is the single biggest problem in doing this. I operate entirely undercover in dealing with drug dealers and it is not something to take lightly. They are dangerous and not to be underestimated.

What do you plan to do with this? If you are out to gather evidence it is important you know what you need in order to build a case. Are you just trying to build experience? If so, start small, find people you know that are involved in drugs, study them, and what they do. Due to their trust in you, it will be easier to study them and not seem suspicious when gaining intel, and it will help you to know how to act on the street when surrounded by them. There are a lot of steps, so don't go diving in right away, work your way up, and then you will be able to make an impact.

PM me if you would like, there may be more ways I can assist.
Back to top Go down
Rebound

PostSubject: Re: About to scout out my "turf"   Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:18 pm

Dressing casually (dark hoodies fit in almost anywhere) and not looking at anybody funny can make you almost invisible when you do it right. Don't do anything to stand out, look like you know where you're going rather than looking around all the time, don't make eye contact unless someone talks to you and don't make any noise that would cause someone to turn their head toward you. Do this right and probably no one will remember you were ever there, making it easier to come back without arousing suspicion. I have a hard time with this sometimes because I'm so tall I'm hard to miss, but reducing your presence to an less noticeable level is possible for everyone.
Back to top Go down
Equal

PostSubject: Re: About to scout out my "turf"   Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:57 am

Thank you all. I'm going out on my first mission now.
Back to top Go down
Equal

PostSubject: Re: About to scout out my "turf"   Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:27 pm

The dealers hadn't figured out how to handle the cold, so I'll have to try again some other day. At least I got to test my dieselmobile and my new dieselunderwear. Man how I miss ol' Thunderweels...
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: About to scout out my "turf"   Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:16 pm

If you want to go unnoticed, you need to follow the activity of the area and mimic it. If you are scouting a bustling area and you are the only one sitting around, watching every little thing, you will stand out. Dressing casually will usually be just fine, but wear a suit in the financial or professional districts. Or at least dress nicely.

When watching drug dealers, look to see who is collecting the cash from the dealer. An important rule of smart operations is that you never hold both the cash and the drugs together. When the dealer has made several transactions, you will see someone come collect the cash. It will be very subtle. That cash man is the guy to follow if you want to climb up the ladder. It doesn't always happen this way; nothing is absolute, but in general I have found this to be true. This can also give you an idea of the scope of an operation. If the idiot holds both the cash and the drugs, he is almost always small time. This guy is probably selling to support his own habit. He'll buy from a smarter dealer, then sell part of his stash at higher prices to people who are dumber than he is. Hard to believe they exist.

So in your situation, I would look to see how the collection is made. My guess here is that a car will pull up to get the cash. You said there was human trafficking involved, right? You might possibly follow a buyer, but I doubt they will have much information for you, besides possibly a contact number, which they will call the second you leave, in which case the bad guys will know all about you.

So the best advice I think I can give here, is to only observe, record and report. If cars pull up, get license numbers and descriptions. See if the same people show up more than once a night. That'll be collectors. It may look like a negotiation for prostitution. Get as muchg info as possible, and report it to police. Be safe above all.
Back to top Go down
Fear

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: About to scout out my "turf"   Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:41 pm

I agree with Gauge here, when doing patrols like this, it is highly important to know your turf, it is good to know the operations that take place in drug areas.

The best ways to learn tailing and tracking is to find a specific individual, if you see him often, slowly learn his movements, check in at random times, and if those people are there, figure out how they move, what homes they go into, chances are more than likely that they are dealing or holding at those homes.

That is where knowledge of evidence gathering is highly critical, and knowing how to do so without being noticed. I personally have worn headphones that are not on just to help blend in more, it helps because people assume you are not listening to them, and typically will leave you alone and affords the chance to blend in a bit more.

Find different tactics, and learn from the people around you, learn from the criminals, they can teach you how to blend in, wearing similar apparel to them can really help as well, if you look like them, the less attention you will bring. You always notice the guy in a clown costume getting on the bus, so if you want to stay undetected, find the best way for you to remain unnoticed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: About to scout out my "turf"   

Back to top Go down

About to scout out my "turf"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1