Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Training Dummies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Training Dummies   Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:08 pm

I'm not talking Grappling Dummies, or Football Tackle Dummies, I mean someone similar to a scarecrow. I mean a standing, humanoid dummy that you can practice whatever against. Anyone have any idea on the following:

-If they're useful
-Where to buy one
-How to make one

Anything you guys have is great, thanks!
Back to top Go down
Jack Shadow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Training Dummies   Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:11 pm

The BOB training dummy is pretty good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Training Dummies   Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Jack Shadow wrote:
The BOB training dummy is pretty good.

Just checked it out. Do they make one with arms? Otherwise, it seems a it like an ultra-realistic tackle dummy. It's pretty neat though... I might ed out getting it.
Back to top Go down
Jack Shadow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Training Dummies   Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:35 pm

THey have a grappling dummy called the blue man which can be hung up or used for ground training. I've never used one myself, though.
Back to top Go down
Crossfire the Crusader

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Training Dummies   Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:55 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Who are you? I've never heard of you nor have I been given reason to take you seriously, I'm sure lots of people share my opinion on this matter. Which is why you got your initial response, if you had made an introduction thread or at least made of point of saying who you are you probably would've been received better. (Sleepless)

Sometimes you cant win by fighting the negative, but you can turn the tide by strengthening the positive

SUPERHERO ACADEMY ON BLOG TALK RADIO - returning soon - times TBA - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Training Dummies   Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:56 pm

... Woah... That's EXACTLY what I was looking for, thanks!

Now, I just need the money to buy it. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to stick with the straw man for now.
Back to top Go down
Crossfire the Crusader

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Training Dummies   Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:38 pm

I didnt study them too closely, but the first two should give you all the info you need to build one.

Who are you? I've never heard of you nor have I been given reason to take you seriously, I'm sure lots of people share my opinion on this matter. Which is why you got your initial response, if you had made an introduction thread or at least made of point of saying who you are you probably would've been received better. (Sleepless)

Sometimes you cant win by fighting the negative, but you can turn the tide by strengthening the positive

SUPERHERO ACADEMY ON BLOG TALK RADIO - returning soon - times TBA - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Training Dummies   Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:09 pm

If you're broke, try a homemade heavy bag.
http://jawbonejournal.blogspot.com/2007/05/homemade-heavy-bag-is-like-hitting-real.html
Plenty of other info out there on making one.

Just tape the hell out of your hand, man.

Edit: Yeah, kinda off topic, but good link for those of interest.

Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Training Dummies   Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:48 am

Duct tape, carpet, and some sandbags... that's really kinda brilliant. Thanks for the links, guys.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Training Dummies   Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:53 pm

Yeah as soon as I figure out where to put it inside, I"m putting one together.
In between studies this winter, I'm going to pound my fists into rocks and bulk up my upper body.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Training Dummies   Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:00 pm

The army lets me use a gym for free, pretty much, but it'd be a heck of a lot better to have something sitting in my backyard. I'm pretty excited about this -- and it's so ridiculously simple, too.

Razz
Back to top Go down
Superhero

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Training Dummies   Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:00 pm

heh...

Anybody remember "SlamMan" from that infomercial? Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Training Dummies   Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:12 pm

Superhero wrote:
heh...

Anybody remember "SlamMan" from that infomercial? Smile

I remember that thing.
Bob.......from teh future!

Eon: I'm checking through this guys blog, he's got some interesting stuff, at least for workout newbs like me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Training Dummies   Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:22 pm

I've always wanted to try out the sledge hammer/tractor tire stuff.

I've been doing some of these, I like the body weight stuff, you can do it anywhere.
I'm starting to kick it into higher gear, especially since I had to redo my diabetic diet. Why not do this too, get some muscle. Prob some basic weights as well.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/42983915/Combat-Conditioning

This stuff is probably old hand to Superhero and the other wrestlers and fitty types.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Training Dummies   Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:02 pm

What about seeing if Adam Savage and his buddy Jamie would see you Buster He comes with Arms and legs fully poseable If I had Buster I dress him up to look like me then I would sit him down in someplace funny Maybe Im reading a book at the library while Hes on the computer or just put him in a real creepy spot at my family's house LOL
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Training Dummies   Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:16 am

Sledgehammering tires and even just flipping tires is a crazy workout, Midnight. Some marine guy I worked with and worked out with a little was into that whatchamacallit web site that was so huge a few years ago. Not "Iron Man"... whatever it is.

I'm gonna try to get that improvised punching bag done this weekend if I can. What's funny is I'm mostly gonna use it for trying to almost but not quite punch it and throwing a weighted baseball at it.... anyway.

:/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Training Dummies   Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:57 am

E0N wrote:
I'm gonna try to get that improvised punching bag done this weekend if I can. What's funny is I'm mostly gonna use it for trying to almost but not quite punch it and throwing a weighted baseball at it.... anyway.

:/

Question
Back to top Go down
Crossfire the Crusader

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Training Dummies   Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:01 am

A heavy bag can be made pretty easy out of a military surplus duffle bag. I suggest filling it with sawdust instead of sand though as the sand will actually be hard as a rock once you fill the bag. Sawdust is usually available free at local sawmills or lumber yards for anyone who wants it. Also, its advisable to line the bag with used carpet and a large thisck plastic trash bag before filling it. The carpet will help it hold shape better and the trash bag will help it not draw as much moisture (which BTW - could cause the canvas bag to rot.) YOu can hang the bag using the existing eyelets and some of those thick black bungee cords

Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Training Dummies   Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:58 pm

Actually... it's driving me nuts that that carpet remnant I know I have somewhere is MIA. I'm suffering from way too much pointless junk at my house. Sawdust is a good idea, Crossfire. Thanks. Smile

Midnight, those are just the two things I'm working on the most right now that I'd use it for in the short term. I don't throw the ball at a punching bag at the gym, though. I used old laundry detergent bottles at home. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Training Dummies   

Back to top Go down

Training Dummies
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1