Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

A little detective work

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: A little detective work   Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:03 am

A little detective work

Looking for my old notes from forensics while i was talking to Tothian, i found this article on http://www.cyberbee.com/whodunnit/foot.html about how to know the height of somebody according of the person's foot length. Lets think for example that my feet measures 25 cms, since the feet is a 15% of the human's height, you have to do 100/15 and then multiply it by 25 in this case. the result is 166 centimeters, or 1,66 meters . Have fun!
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: A little detective work   Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:26 pm

Go around guessing people's heights and ask them if you're correct. You'll get good at it in about a week. Razz

Also you're familiar with your own height, presumably. Consider their eye level in relation to yours as a baseline.
Back to top Go down
Rebound

PostSubject: Re: A little detective work   Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:27 pm

Nearly everyone I meet I think of as just short, my height, or really really tall. I should probably refine those categories somewhat. This post got me thinking though about describing suspects to the police.

There's two good articles on that on therlsh.org for that, maybe it'd be helpful if they were also pinned to the Useful Information thread on the forums:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Your foot size chart would be useful in trying to determine how tall a suspect was just from footprints though. That'll especially start coming in handy during the snowy winter months. It's not %100 accurate, but you can usually guess that if someone's foot is at least 11 inches (don't have a metric tape measure handy), then they'll be over 6 foot.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: A little detective work   Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:41 pm

What is that website? This looks similar to what you might find in a mystery writer's guide. The specs you give here are very general and do not account for the age of the person and the length of their stride. I am a tall guy with big feet, but I know many people who are much shorter than me with feet nearly as big as mine. It is rare to see someone taller than yourself who has smaller feet than your own, but even that happens on occasion. Thinking about it logically, is makes no sense that all people of a specific foot length would be the same height. Length of stride is much more reliable for determining height, and if you can determine their weight as well, all the better. A good set of shoe or foot prints can even give you a guess at ethnicity and mental state.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: A little detective work   Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:50 pm

Of course, if you are talking about the purposes of identifying a corpse, these ratios are a good starting point, if you have nothing else to go on. In going to the website, I see they do tell you the ratios are different for kids, so that's good, at least.
Back to top Go down
Redline

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: A little detective work   Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:55 am

It doesn't take into account shoe size either.
All a person would need to get around this would be to wear slightly larger shoes.
Or heels.
(Preferably, I'd go with the first one.)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A little detective work   Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:24 pm

This helpful
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: A little detective work   Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:40 pm

Redline wrote:
It doesn't take into account shoe size either.
All a person would need to get around this would be to wear slightly larger shoes.
Or heels.
(Preferably, I'd go with the first one.)

I would tend to wear smaller shoes if I wanted to get sneaky. It's easier to tell if a person is wearing too large shoes by the shoeprint that is left. Smaller shoes will leave a good, whole print, and a weight estimate would put you as likely obese, where you may actually be of normal weight for your actual size.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A little detective work   Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:23 pm

@ Gauge that is good info. would have never thought of that to you sir I give a albino (thumbs up)

Back to top Go down
Redline

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: A little detective work   Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:45 pm

I was just considering the fact that most people would rather be able to run quickly in normal to large shoes than taking the time to cover their tracks with small shoes, but have less speed.

Still, you could always just wear shoe covers made of cloth if you really needed to, I'm assuming.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: A little detective work   Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:39 pm

It would really depend on the crime. I am going on the assumption that if you are trying to hide your actual shoe size, you are not committing an assault that will leave the victim alive, or be in the presence of other witnesses. This means some crime such as a burglary or a murder, which perpetrators don't usually flee from too quickly, so shoe comfort may not be a priority as much as removing evidence of the crime that would incriminate themselves (hiding the body, cleaning blood, etc.). Also, it is very hard to run fast in shoes that are too large. They tend to flop around, unless you wear extra socks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A little detective work   

Back to top Go down

A little detective work
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1