Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Brass Knucles hurt!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Brass Knucles hurt!   Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:42 am

So I had a run in with a local gang last night. I'm ok, but I took a swing in the gut by a thug wearing brass knuckles (I got checked out by EMTs, they say no serious injuries occurred, thank God for D30!). Despite that I've been doing this for years, I know that it is never the time to act like a know-it-all. So I ask, anyone know of any techniques on how to disarm a goon with brass knuckles, for future reference?
Back to top Go down
Hissyfit

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:59 am

I'm not usually the type that gets to disarm all that often, but I think grabbing the hand with the knuckle and squeezing the fingers on said hand together (into the rings on the knucks) would cause massive discomfort. Perhaps even peeling the fingers open (from fist position) and yanking them back might work.

Or, since brass is conductive you could always apply a taser or some such electrical current.

None of this is practiced, just throwing out ideas.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:18 am

Really? :/

No, brass knuckles are designed to be retained, basically. The only techniques I can think of would be pretty much the same as if he didn't have them. Also you could move away and throw stuff or run -- brass knuckles aren't projectile weapons.
Back to top Go down
the crimson fist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:43 pm

Yeah, I think Mega hit the nail on the head for the most part. It's not so much a factor of impairing the perps ability to hold the knuckles themselves, as it would be a factor of impairing the perps ability to swing his fist at you. Getting control over the limb itself and using it to take him down would probably be the most optimal choice.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:52 pm

I agree with Crimson Fist, get the arm under control. However, if you get a double-handed grip of the wrist, you can apply pressure with both thumbs to the inside of the wrist, about an inch below the bottom of the palm, while shaking the arm. Intense pressure here will make it nearly impossible to make a fist, and the shaking helps to release the knuckles. Note that this doesn't always work, depending on how snugly the knuckles fit. You can also try the grip with four fingers of one hand and strip the knuckles with the other hand. From a control position, though, you may have luck just ordering him to let them go.
Back to top Go down
Dark Guardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:08 pm

I have to speak up as a martial arts instructor here. If you try to disarm him you will get beaten to a pulp. You need fight training, plain and simple. Whether he has brass knux or not you will do the same. The only difference with the knux is that he can do more damage with the punch.

It depend on your fighting style how to handle it.

I would personally get out of his punching range and work from in the clinch or go from clinch to take him down and handle it from there.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:03 pm

Good point DG. Anyone engaging any person either armed or unarmed should have self defense training, except possibly in the most extreme situations where not acting will mean the serious physical injury or death of an innocent person. The reason I suggested this to Dark Archer is because my understanding is that he has experience as an rlsh, and it did answer the specific question he asked.

Another important point is that you said you ran into a gang, although you didn't mention the circumstances (intentional seeking out, or just happened on patrol, or just in civilian dress wearing the d30?) It probably is not a good idea to try to fight, because you will end up fighting the whole gang if you start getting the best of the fight. If you can't talk your way out of the situation, then you're better off getting the heck out of Dodge and calling police if necessary.

I am glad you weren't more seriously injured.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:38 pm

Brass knuckles are dangerous weapons.

If you get one pulled on you, then nice time is over.

Whatever your training:
You have to break, disable, or downright KO the guy by whatever means you can, as fast as you can.
He escalated it the instant he brought those things out, if you mess him up bad, then so be it.

I'm glad he didn't clip you in the face with that thing.

Edit: I'm going to clarify experience with brass knuckles. When we were teenagers my buddy's dad was the only town cop back home in the small town where I'm from. He had a set of genuine ones, made of brass.

We played with them alot in and around their garage and yard. These things are lethal. We easily broke red bricks with them with a full hit. If you take a solid shot it will break bones. It's fortunate that he hit your soft tissue.

Be careful, and always leave a way out to flee if you have to.

Last edited by Midnite Detective on Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:41 pm

I didn't think the circumstances were relevant, but if you must know. I was on civilian patrol when I witnessed a vehicle break-in. I pulled out my cell to call the police. Toward the end of the call, they spotted me. I chose to defend myself then run away (mostly because I didn't want then leaving the scene of the crime before the cops did show up.)

As for the martial arts training, I have enough under my belt. The guy with the brass knuckles
struck me from behind. Before that, I had no idea any of them had one on them. I struggled a bit to disarm the knuckles from him, only soon after to realize that I have never experienced this type of situation before. I rammed the guy in the stomach with my elbow just as the police showed. Six gang members were taken in that night. Call me and assume whatever, but I'm proud of myself for that and will be forever.
Back to top Go down
Bearman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:47 pm

I have an idea, but I don't know how well it will work. When I was younger I was watching my cousin change his car battery, and he made the mistake of touching the male metal prong to the ring on his finger and I saw it, like it was in slow motion, heat up turning orange then yellow then white and hearing a sizzling sound and my cousin screamed like I've never heard and flung that ring off his finger as fast as he could. It almost melted his flesh and then burnt it to the ring. Maybe you could try grabbing their arm and touching a battery to the brass knuckle. As soon as it feels hot, they'll throw it. Just an idea.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:55 pm

Yeah, but if I did that, the police would've assumed that I intentionally hunted these guys down. I had a taser on me at the time, but I didn't use it because I didn't want it to look like I planned the event, you know? In my experience, being prepared is important, but if you're too prepared, it could look pretty bad, at least in my town.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:04 pm

And before anyone says, "why didn't you use the teaser if you were in harms way?", I have two reasons.

1. I wasn't in my gear when this happened. I wasn't the obviously looking good guy. I was just a random average guy how had a run in with a gang doing a bad thing. If I seriously had hurt them, I'd be in jail right now, no matter what.

2. One of the cops is currently under investigation for firing his teaser gun at an assailant, killing him. Teasers aren't really a good thing right now.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:20 am

so wait, I'm a little lost here. you were doing a civilian patrol, but had D30 armor on underneath? and the guy had brass knuckles but all you got was a punch to the gut. I guess you got lucky. and if there were six of them how the hell did you not get put in the hospital? were they all just kinda standing around while you were fighting with that one guy? its good that the cops responded so fast, otherwise you would have been in serious trouble.

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:55 am

Yes, I wear D30 underneath my cloths when on a civilian patrol, in case stuff like this happens. Dude, have you seen Mexican gangbangers? They're skinny as hell! The fight only lasted two minutes at most because the police station was only four blocks away! Mind you, I was not out to fight in the first place. I was just doing some surveillance of my town to see what's new. Until recently, I was inactive for over a year, after all.

Last edited by DarkArcher on Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:04 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:57 am

no, I don't know anything about mexican gangbangers. I live in san diego.

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:07 am

That isn't sarcasm, is it? I'm not assuming anything, just asking. I've never been to San Diego before, but I know you're right near the U.S./Mexico border. SoCal makes my skin crawl.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:19 am

it's probably the humidity.it's nasty right now.

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:22 am

Yeah, that's my guess too. I'm used to central coast weather. To me, it's perfect.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:32 am

Ok, I think I got all the necessary info I needed to satisfy my curiosity. If anyone would like to add on to this topic, or something else has come up that you wanted to talk to me about, please email me instead. Thanks everyone Smile
Back to top Go down
Dark Guardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:28 am

If tasers are legal there would be no reason not to use it, especially when there is a group of criminals against one person, even more so when they are armed with any knind of wepaon. The use of it is very justifiable.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:14 pm

If Someone ever tried Brass Knuckles on me It wouldnt make any differenceI would probably sidestep the punch and let him keep swinging until he tries to take out a brick wall or the side of a truck
Back to top Go down
Sentinel

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:28 pm

Rabbit punch to the throat to cause the larynex to spasm, shorting his breath, or a good smack to the hand with a collapsable baton, as DG said, the Knux increases the punches power 10 fold if not more, damage the hand weilding the knux, and stay out of punching range. Personally, I like to end the conflict before any blows are exchanged.
Back to top Go down
Bearman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:43 pm

10 times at least. They're illegal here in CA. They can seriously break and shatter bone.
Back to top Go down
onikage

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:59 pm

Not to side track the convo, but how do you like your D3o? where do you have it and how thick? Has it is compare to other padding.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:46 pm

I have to agree with Dark Guardian and say GET TRAINING and plenty of it.

I did NO fighting until I was 21.

30 years later, I can't take the knowledge out of my head or reflexes.
If I block, I WILL chop too.

Most of the suggestions, here, dealt only with the offending arm
and I have to agree with Polar Man about side-stepping.

Moving JUST left or right gets you outr of the thrust.

A slight turn helps even more and will REALLY work against your largest attackers.

So, turn and strike the forearm and bounce that strike right into the face with a back-knuckle
NO PAUSE.

Even better to do this double-strike a few times then grab the offending wrist in both hands
a twist like you are removing a chicken wing from the carcess, turning your body if necessary,
KEEP moving his bod and slam it into a few things if possible.
CRASH him to the ground in any way and slam him in the side of the neck
to sleep him a while.
(arm-face-arm-face-arm-face-grab-twist-spin-slam-slam-slam-slam-drop-neckslam)

TIE HIM UP BECAUSE HE WON'T STAY ASLEEP

NEVER USE ONE MOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BLEND, DON'T STOP and GO GO GO

PS> put your back against a wall so that no one can get behind you.

It is counterintuitive but a Roman solider held a bridge in this manner against hundreds
so that his guys could escape across the bridge.

One of my brown belt teachers taught me this early on.
She is TINY and used it against a Latino gang in an alley in Phoenix.

Her purse was on her shoulder.
She could get her hand inside, found a mirror, slammed the mirror to break it and
used the broken mirror as a knife-edge
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   

Back to top Go down

Brass Knucles hurt!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next