Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Must you have face-to-face self defence training in order to gain sufficient skill?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Must you have face-to-face self defence training in order to gain sufficient skill?   Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:15 pm

So lately iv'e been wanting to take up a martial art but it seems all the places in my area are very expensive and/or not very self defence based and helpful in a street situation, So i wanted to ask you guys if you think it is enough to simply read and watch instructional video's on the internet in order to gain sufficient self defence skills.

My friend and i are not very wealthy and we would like to train with each other so i do not have the problem not having anyone to practice any techniqies on.

I long for the day where i can attend Krav Maga or Muay Thai club Sad

Anyways ^^ so what do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Champion

PostSubject: Re: Must you have face-to-face self defence training in order to gain sufficient skill?   Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:20 pm

is it sufficient? no. is it better then nothing? yes

for now read everything you can get your hands on. watch all the videos. i cant tell you to practice with someone cause i dont want either of you getting hurt. but studying for now will make you that much better when you finally can join a class or something.

your mind is your best weapon, train it well and everything else will come easily.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Must you have face-to-face self defence training in order to gain sufficient skill?   Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:38 pm

If your friend and you spar a lot and take it seriously, then you could get very good eventually. Techniques sink better in when you use them to avoid getting smacked around or to get some guy off of you so you can finally breathe again.

Also your choice kinda sounds like the choice between doing something or nothing... something's almost always better.

Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Must you have face-to-face self defence training in order to gain sufficient skill?   Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:50 pm

Okay ^^ understood, something is better then nothing =)

PS don't worry me and my compadré will be as careful and safe as possible, but inevitably we will have to hurt each other a bit!
Back to top Go down
Jack Shadow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Must you have face-to-face self defence training in order to gain sufficient skill?   Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:58 pm

As the Marines say "pain is merely weakness leaving the body." Or a broken bone. Whichever.
Back to top Go down
Champion

PostSubject: Re: Must you have face-to-face self defence training in order to gain sufficient skill?   Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:17 pm

i am all for sparing, but i cant sit here and tell you to do it because i dont feel like being sued by your parents for hospital bills Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Must you have face-to-face self defence training in order to gain sufficient skill?   Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:31 pm

Ha! Oh no you didn't!
I think my sense of caution will stop me getting so badly injured that i have to resort to hospital.
And what hospital bills? In the UK pretty much everyone gets free health service on the NHS unless they want a private doctor.

=P I wish someone could teach us how to spar properly ^^"
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Must you have face-to-face self defence training in order to gain sufficient skill?   Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:32 pm

Grappling is relatively safe. If people aren't allowed to wrestle until they turn 18, then the world has passed me by, I think. Your school might have a wrestling team.

As for hitting each other, to do that safely you basically just need pads.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Must you have face-to-face self defence training in order to gain sufficient skill?   Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:38 pm

Heh, Im not in school any more; i just graduated. The college that i am going to doesn't have one, wish it did though, but it would be weird for a catholic school to have a wrestling team!
Back to top Go down
dcguardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Must you have face-to-face self defence training in order to gain sufficient skill?   Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:56 pm

i understand training alone. . .please be careful. . .instructors offer correction. . .and practicing without that knowledge can give you false confidence. . .if there is no alternative. . .then you must do what you need to do. . .does your college offer classes. . .maybe the instructor could use an unpaid assistant. . .youtube or how to sites might give you some good details. . .

dc
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Must you have face-to-face self defence training in order to gain sufficient skill?   Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Is there a citizen academy your police force offers?
Back to top Go down
dcguardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Must you have face-to-face self defence training in order to gain sufficient skill?   Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:42 pm

exploers. . .and citizen patrols are taught several things. . .self defense. . .depending on the location is one of them. . .

dc
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Must you have face-to-face self defence training in order to gain sufficient skill?   Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:00 am

Normally I am dead set against self-training from books or videos, but if you have a training partner who is as dedicated as you are, then it can be accomplished to a small degree.

First: Take it very slowly. Don't do movements at full speed and constantly check your form to make sure you are executing movements as precisely as you can manage.

Second: Do not attempt joint locks or nerve strikes, which can lead to permanent numbness or even paralysis when executed incorrectly. Even trained pros can screw these up. Although, again, if you move slowly enough, you can practice some wrist locks and other restraining techniques.

Third: Communication is essential. You must let eachother know what is working and what is not. If your partner tries to counter your technique, let him do so with minimal resistance. This is beneficial because it will expose the errors in form or help you develop counters to the counters.

Training with a partner is certainly better than training alone. You won't become Bruce Lee, or even Bruce Campbell for that matter, but guess what? Martial forms has to start somewhere, right? There's no reason you can't become a credible fighter all on your own.
Back to top Go down
Hissyfit

PostSubject: Re: Must you have face-to-face self defence training in order to gain sufficient skill?   Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:10 am

Gemini wrote:
Heh, Im not in school any more; i just graduated. The college that i am going to doesn't have one, wish it did though, but it would be weird for a catholic school to have a wrestling team!

You may want to look into whether or not your college offers any sort of self-defense classes. Hell of a lot cheaper and you'd have more than just your friend to practice with. If they don't offer anything in the fall semester, try spring/summer semester.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Must you have face-to-face self defence training in order to gain sufficient skill?   

Back to top Go down

Must you have face-to-face self defence training in order to gain sufficient skill?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1