Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:33 pm

Jack Shadow wrote:
Learn as much as you can about using improvised weaponry. The true weapon is between your ears, everything else is just a tool to be used.
I couldn't agree more.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:06 am

Keeping it "western":

The absolute best martial art you need to learn first is Sprinting. Getting the hell away from danger as fast as possible is a great first step.

MMA is an excellent option if you have it, but old school Vale Tudo is better for real life applications (headbutts, groin strikes, eye gouges, etc are all included).

Many of the best MMA fighters, elite soldier units/ spec ops guys, etc praise Krav Maga as the best "street" style to learn; so I have to go with that.

Runner Up: Combat Sambo. Brutal style from Russia without the high overhead of time that Systema training insists on.

If you like batons, check out Bata, Irish Stick Fighting, for some fun historical stuff.
Back to top Go down
DRock

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:36 pm

I guess if you wanted to go pure western styles, you could always look into French Savate and Greco-Roman Wrestling.

But hey, it doesn't matter where it comes from, if it works it works.
Back to top Go down
Rebound

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:41 pm

Heh, sprinting is one martial art I can master. The great thing about it is that my legs are so long, when I take off bounding, I look so fast people assume they can't catch me, even though I don't have the stamina to keep up a sprint for very long.

I know how to handle any sort of long and swingable weapon, other than that I don't have much fighting experience. I'm still training though.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:00 pm

Rebound wrote:
Heh, sprinting is one martial art I can master. The great thing about it is that my legs are so long, when I take off bounding, I look so fast people assume they can't catch me, even though I don't have the stamina to keep up a sprint for very long.

I know how to handle any sort of long and swingable weapon, other than that I don't have much fighting experience. I'm still training though.

Me and my stamina LAUGH at big strong men!!!!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

seriously, what shall we do to bring up your stamina?

And
I need to post a stick-fighting thread
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:23 am

Well... this run away thing is conventional wisdom, but it seems to be good advice for personal self defense. However as a "superhero" if you aren't trying to protect someone from harm, then why are you even in a fight in the first place? So if you run away, you'd better carry them or something... Razz
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:25 am

Pugilism!

All the way. Fists way up and out. That's the way. Fisticuffs I say!

Ne'er-do-well!

Sadly... I actually talk like that sometimes...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:10 pm

it's easy to kick a pugilist
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   

Back to top Go down

How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2