Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

principles. . .a lesson we should not neglect. . .

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dcguardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: principles. . .a lesson we should not neglect. . .   Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:37 pm

Principles. . .we all look for ways to make the best uniform. . .best persona. . .and we learn how to protect ourselves and others. . .I feel another area needs to be addressed. . .and that’s why you do what you do. . .

i’m not telling you what to think or believe. . .i’m asking you to discover that for yourself. . .think of it like a resume. . .only this time. . .it’s gonna get to the heart of the matter. . .and it may hurt a little. . .if done right. . .you might even lose a few friends. . .but gain many more. . .these are examples. . .and examples only. . .

Roy Rogers. . .The Lone Ranger. . .Robin Hood. . .The Three Musketeers. . .we could also bring in religion here. . .the ten commandments. . .and so on. . .all of these areas have their guiding principles. . . these are merely examples. . .for you to look at. . .it’s up to you to decide what. . .in your life works for you. . .again. . .these are merely examples. . .

Rider's rules by Roy Rogers. . .1. Be neat and clean.. .2. Be courteous and polite. . .3. Always obey your parents. . .4. Protect the weak and help them. . .5. Be brave but never take chances. . .6. Study hard and learn all you can. . .7. Be kind to animals and take care of them. . .8. Eat all your food and never waste any. . .9. Love God and go to Sunday school regularly. . .10. Always respect our flag and our country.

The Lone Ranger's creed. . .1. I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one. . .2. That all men are created equal and that everyone has within himself the power to make this a better world. . .3. That God put the firewood there, but that every man must gather and light it himself. . .4. In being prepared physically, mentally, and morally to fight when necessary for that which is right. . .5. That a man should make the most of what equipment he has. . .6. That "this government, of the people, by the people, and for the people," shall live always. . .7. That men should live by the rule of what is best for the greatest number. . .8. That sooner or later... somewhere... somehow... we must settle with the world and make payment for what we have taken. . .9. That all things change, but the truth, and the truth alone lives on forever. . .10. I believe in my Creator, my country, my fellow man.

The ten commandments. . .1: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.' . . .2: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.' . . .3: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.' . . .4: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.' . . .5: 'Honor your father and your mother.' . . .6: 'You shall not murder.' . . .7: 'You shall not commit adultery.' . . .8: 'You shall not steal.' . . .9: 'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.' . . .10: 'You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.'

Marine core values: honor. . .courage. . .commitment

and of course one of my all time favorites. . .one i try hard to adhere to. . .written by mark twain. . .spoken by captain America. . . the quote is actually long than what you see in the comic books. . .and it’s titled. . . Country. . .For in a republic, who is "the Country"? Is it the government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the government is merely a temporary servant: it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. It's function is to obey orders, not originate them. Who, then is the country? Is it the newspaper? Is it the pulpit? Why, these are mere parts of the country, not the whole of it, they have not command, they have only their little share in the command. In a monarchy, the king and his family are the country: In a republic it is the common voice of the people each of you, for himself, by himself and on his own responsibility, must speak. It is a solemn and weighty responsibility, and not lightly to be flung aside at the bullying of pulpit, press, government, or the empty catchphrases of politicians. Each must for himself alone decide what is right and what is wrong, and which course is patriotic and which isn't. You cannot shirk this and be a man. To decide it against your convictions is to be an unqualified and inexcusable traitor, both to yourself and to your country, let men label you as they may. If you alone of all the nation shall decide one way, and that way be the right way according to your convictions of the right, you have your duty by yourself and by your country. Hold up your head. You have nothing to be ashamed of'. Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: The requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree besides the river of truth, and tell the whole world----No you move."

for the most part. . .each one of these. . .is unambiguous. . .you know how they stand. . .do they always measure up. . .not always. . .but each one strives to. . .

what I’m pointing out here is the basic questions about what you stand for. . .and what you stand against. . .I’m not saying to give me ten rules you live by. . .I am asking for you to know your core self. . .I’m asking you to seriously ask yourself. . .what is it I stand for. . .when push comes to shove. . .what are my core principles. . .what will you stand beside that you will not wavier from. . .what you are willing to be measured by. . .

people aren’t taught this stuff anymore. . .we are inundated by the news. . .the TV shows we watch. . .the government. . .books. . .and the cartoons. . .we are told by advertisers what to think and why. . .but do we think for ourselves anymore. . .as Shakespeare once said. . .to thine own self be true. . .but do we know thine own self anymore. . .life isn’t hard if you start off knowing what you are all about. . .and I’m not talking about learning over time. . .changing your mind. . .that is why you should re-evaluate yourself every so often. . .to see if you are either staying on course. . .or do you need to change your core values because of what you’ve learned. . .

this is not for the politically correct. . .as Jon Adams once said. . .it’s war. . .you’ve got to offend someone. . .and don’t think those are just words. . .it is war. . .it’s your individuality at stake. . .if you find your core principles. . .and stand by them. . .you will make some people uncomfortable. . .you will piss some people off. . .you may be banned from forums. . .you may be ridiculed by those who you once admired. . .so. . .to recap. . .if you are true to your principles. . .those that hate you. . .those that bad mouth you. . .those that disagree. . .is it really worth keeping them happy if you lose yourself in the process. . .it’s real easy to accept the consequences of your actions if they come from your own principles. . .and besides. . .you don’t have to remember what way the wind blows when times get tough. . .you’ll have the tools to see you through. . .and you’ll probably end up better off because of them. . .

dc
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: principles. . .a lesson we should not neglect. . .   Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:19 pm

In my mind it all comes down to "honor" and not just RLSH stuff, simply being a man.
Back to top Go down
Champion

PostSubject: Re: principles. . .a lesson we should not neglect. . .   Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:00 pm

i have 3 words i live by

Loyalty, Honor, Respect

everything boils down to that for me.
Back to top Go down
Superhuman

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: principles. . .a lesson we should not neglect. . .   Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:23 am

Yes I agree Dcguardian, that is very important it's what every hero needs as guide to stand for what is right.
Back to top Go down
Champion

PostSubject: Re: principles. . .a lesson we should not neglect. . .   Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:29 pm

hey superhuman, have you made an intro post yet?
Back to top Go down
Superhuman

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: principles. . .a lesson we should not neglect. . .   Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:25 am

Now I did lol, I was so excited I forgot to do it! Thanks Champion!
Back to top Go down
The Grey Man

PostSubject: Re: principles. . .a lesson we should not neglect. . .   Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:43 am

I follow my conscience (whats left of it anyway)...
Back to top Go down
NightBug

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: principles. . .a lesson we should not neglect. . .   Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:17 pm

I like to take it back to the Ultima virtues, myself:

Honesty, Compassion, Valor, Justice, Sacrifice, Honor, Spirituality, Humility.

Yeah, I did all the colors. What...? At least I didn't do icons for the Professions, too.

Disclaimer: No claims of Avatarhood are made by NightBug.
Back to top Go down
dcguardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: principles. . .a lesson we should not neglect. . .   Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:48 pm

then my followup question would be. . .what is your yardstick. . .what do you measure yourself or your actions by. . .

dc
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: principles. . .a lesson we should not neglect. . .   

Back to top Go down

principles. . .a lesson we should not neglect. . .
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1