View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Advice for when you get stabbed   Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:06 pm

Here you go... comments welcome, but obviously not mandatory.

Smile

"HOLY $#!%! I GOT STABBED. WHAT SHOULD I DO?" (see below for my ten basic recommendations)

1. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Ideally you will either not put yourself in a situation where you get stabbed or else you'll employ some combination of badassery and body armor that prevents you from getting a stab wound. You could also try the tactic of bringing a gun to a knife fight... just don't get close enough to the knife-man to get stabbed when you do that.

I also humbly suggest a variation on what motorcycle riders call "riding within the limits of their abilities." Battle the forces of evil within the limits of your capability and you probably won't end up stabbed.

(N.B. Any pointy stabby thing can cause a stab wound, not just knives -- pencils, pens, combs, sticks, etc. In fact improvised stabby things usually cause worse stab wounds.)

2. "Okay, I disregarded all that and I've been stabbed. What now?" Speaking from personal experience here, right after you get a stab wound, there's a pretty good chance that you have someone standing in front of you holding a knife. Two stab wounds don't make a right. And stab wounds are shocking experiences... do your damnedest to ignore the stab wound and (preferably) run like hell.

But if you refuse to take my advice and opt for the better part of valor, then eliminate the threat as quickly as possible before you worry about your injury. (But my money is probably on knife guy -- after all, he's already demonstrated the ability to stab you once. And you know the old saying: "Stab me once, shame on you. Stab me over and over again until I die when all I had to do was run away, shame on me."

3. "I tried to eliminate the threat (with maximum prejudice), but that didn't work and I got stabbed a lot... including repeated stabbings in my face. And then I died. What now?"

I refer you to the religious or philosophical beliefs of your choice. Hopefully you lived a full life. And honestly, you had to know this could happen.

4. "Okay. I'm not dead and somehow I reached safety. What next?"

SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY!!!!!! (allow me to add: ...ESPECIALLY BECAUSE IF YOU HAVE A SUCKING CHEST WOUND [ETC] YOU ARE GOING TO DIE IF YOU DON'T.)

5. "No. Because if my secret identity is revealed then my loved ones will be placed in danger."

Right after you get stabbed is not the best time to realize this possibility. To misquote the ultimate inspiration for most RLSH: "What are you dense? Retarded or something? You're not the goddamned Batman!"

SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION!!!!

6. "No."

Okay then. If your injury is one of those that you inevitabley die from after a few minutes or hours, then I refer you to #3 above. If not...

You need to clean the wound and close it. So if you're not somewhere where you can do that, apply direct pressure (to the wound) and then go to a place where you can clean the wound and close it.

Next clean the wound with the most sterile substance you have available. Alcohol (including things like vodka, but not wine coolers, Chablis, or beer), Betadine, or even water are viable options.

Then you need to seal the wound. Stitches are probably best, which is why you should really have already sought medical attention long before now. But since you refuse, you need a needle and some good material for stitching yourself up. I recommend plain white dental floss. Not the minty flavored kind.

Don't try anything more stupid than your obstinate refusal to seek medical care. For example, don't get liquored up to dull the pain of giving yourself stitches. It probably won't hurt nearly as much as getting stabbed did.

7. "I lack the cajones to give myself stitches and I continue to refuse to see a doctor."

Butterfly bandages, duct tape, and super glue all work almost as well. The important thing is to seal the wound (don't let it gape) while it heals. You'll have a worse scar, though.

Healing could take a long time.

8. "Can I resume crime-fighting as usual even though my stab wound(s) hasn't healed yet?"

I advise against it.

9. "My wound isn't healing -- it's becoming infected and/or gangrenous."

SEEK MEDICAL AID.

"No."

Do you have any veterinarian type friends? Animal medicine is pretty much the same as people medicine. If someone doesn't treat you you're either going to die or lose a limb. Is that really the risk you're willing to take to keep your dear old Aunt May safe from Dr. Octopus who probably isn't going to go after her anyway?

10. My final bit of advice here. You should take your stab wound (or wounds) as a learning experience and take steps not to get stabbed again in the future. Don't let your ego lead you into situations you can't handle. Remember -- there's no "I" in "STAB WOUND."

Last edited by Mega-Rad on Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sleepless

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Advice for when you get stabbed   Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:12 pm

My shorter advice, get stabbed, go to hospital, say you got mugged.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Advice for when you get stabbed   Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:37 pm

Remember -- there's no "I" in "STAB WOUND."[/quote]

But there's two "I"s in KNIFING Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
sakujo

PostSubject: Re: Advice for when you get stabbed   Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:14 pm

Sleepless wrote:
My shorter advice, get stabbed, go to hospital, say you got mugged.

Agreed. And protection/training to stop it from happening in the first place.

On a side note your list skips 2 Mega-rad.
Back to top Go down
Patriot

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Advice for when you get stabbed   Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:42 pm

Ya forgot to add that you can also use a piece of hot metal to close the wound.

And come on man, you've never heard the old saying "Chicks dig scars."

All joking aside, if ya get stabbed, get to the hospital. There are a number of things you can explain for what happened, if you don't want to reveal that someone stabbed you.
Back to top Go down
Champion

PostSubject: Re: Advice for when you get stabbed   Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:43 pm

no, #2 is in there. its just tucked away.
Back to top Go down
sakujo

PostSubject: Re: Advice for when you get stabbed   Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:16 am

I swear #2 was edited in, it wasn't there before. O well.
Back to top Go down
Champion

PostSubject: Re: Advice for when you get stabbed   Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:49 am

it was. i barely noticed it when i first read the post too but it was there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Advice for when you get stabbed   Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:27 pm

Mega-Rad wrote:
Don't let your ego lead you into situations you can't handle. Remember -- there's no "I" in "STAB WOUND."

Haha, I like that one I'm gonna have to use that one sometime.

But yes, very good advice all and all
Back to top Go down
Superhero

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Advice for when you get stabbed   Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:26 am

Quote :
You could also try the tactic of bringing a gun to a knife fight... just don't get close enough to the knife-man to get stabbed when you do that.

Statisticaly the distance is 21 feet if you have to draw, If your guns already in your hand you're way better off.

I totally agree with "Make up a BS story about how you walked into a broken fence post, or your little brother stabbed you, or some crap & GO TO THE HOSPITAL.

As for the stitching part, Is it true that Superglue works like stitches? Or is that BS? I mean The stuff was originally made for the military for that purpose I've been told.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Advice for when you get stabbed   Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:45 am

Yes it can be my grandfather is having surgery soon and that's what they're going to use to seal his neck back up

Here's the Wiki Super glue
Back to top Go down
Paladin

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Advice for when you get stabbed   Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:43 am

If you'r ehte special breed of stupid that insists on getting into a knife-fight without a knife, then the best advice I can give is:

"RCAT"... redirect, control, attack, take.

Redirect: most assailants are pretty much just trying to prison-shiv you, which is the knife-fighting equivalent of the asshole at the bar throwing hay-makers... the attacks will likely be telegraphed and, frankly, easy to deflect if you have martial arts training. Connect with the forearm of the opponent and push the weapon away and out of line from your body- NEVER across your midline.

Control: IMMEDIATELY follow this up by taking control of the guy's hand. do this by placing your hand over his.

Attack: Now hit him. hard. Preferrably in the throat. Step into it, so that he can't simply back out of your control. If he falls, bear him to the ground- still pointing the knife away from both of you.

Take: rake your fingers down his palm towards his fingers with all your strength, driving them under the tips of his fingers and literally tear the thing out of his hands.

Alternatively, the "attack" portion of the program can look a lot like the classic of sibling warfare "stop hitting yourself": one hand over the assailant's hand, you use your other hand to attain leverage and a mechanical advantage.. you then watch as your opponent inexplicably stabs himself over and over again. Darndest thing, that. Not my preferred take on the matter but tactically superior to the first one.

There are youtube videos on this- the best ones IMO are Krav Maga-related. Better yet- TAKE KRAV MAGA or another military close-combat style.

If you have a baton- use it. Strike at the guy's hands, first though- and always use your reach to your advantage. he has to come inside your threat range to get yo you.. you can threaten knees, hands, wrists, shins... all while keeping your vital away from pointy things. Learning how to use sticks (of baton AND staff-length) effectively will be a big help. the world is full of sticks just waiting to become improvised weapons.

IDEALLY, THOUGH, YOU'RE LISTENING TO MEGA AND FIGHTING WITHIN YOUR CAPABILITIES... If you don't have combat/tactical.martial arts training- don't fight bad guys. Do protests, activism, etc. Kick-Ass had it right in terms of what happens to unprepared people who attack gansgsters with weapons.
Back to top Go down
Teiden

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Advice for when you get stabbed   Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:25 am

As to the super glue thing, depending on the severity. I know many "hardcore/extreme" style wrestlers like the nutcases in IWA Mid South use it, and I have used it when I sliced my thumb wide open while building Warhammer models. So long as you do it right and it's not too severe a cut, it'll close it fine.

The way I've seen the wrestlers use it which is the safest and correct way to apply it to a wound, you line the edges of the wound with it, then push and hold the two sides together.

For a deep stab would it wouldn't be a good idea though. A slice, even a relatively deep one, so long as you clean it regularly I imagine would mend just fine, though the scar would be quite noticeable.
Back to top Go down
Crossfire the Crusader

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Advice for when you get stabbed   Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:50 am

One of the reasons I use a baton when working security - the main reason actually - is that it extends my reach by around two feet. I use the baton as a measuring device to keep myself out of the reach of the person I am confronting. I have not yet had the problem of anyone trying to close that distance because the advantage is MINE. I am one turn of the wrist away from disarming or iinjuring them so long as I keep them at that distance. Its part of the training I recieved when I worked for Department of Corrections.

That said...If I did get stabbed I would go to the hopsital.

Theres a time for pride, and a time for secrets, and a time to shut the heck up and admit that you screwed up and need help.

It looks kewl when Patrick Swayze sews his knife wound up in Road House, but guess what? Thats a friggin MOVIE. He had a SCRIPT. He didnt have to deal with things like STAPH INFECTION or other bacteria.

I'm sure nobody you encounter in the hospital will be reporting your knife wound to DR DOOM or LEX LUTHOR because they dont exist and the general public could care less who you are under the mask...especially if you give a fake story about getting jumped by a mugger.

And if you choose to ignore that, please IM me ASAP so we can discuss step #3 in advance...Its my specialty!

Who are you? I've never heard of you nor have I been given reason to take you seriously, I'm sure lots of people share my opinion on this matter. Which is why you got your initial response, if you had made an introduction thread or at least made of point of saying who you are you probably would've been received better. (Sleepless)

Sometimes you cant win by fighting the negative, but you can turn the tide by strengthening the positive

SUPERHERO ACADEMY ON BLOG TALK RADIO - returning soon - times TBA - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Advice for when you get stabbed   Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:04 am

Superglue is not advisible on more than a minor wound. Direct pressure. Also, hot metal is not good outside of the movies as it can lead to massive infection. Direct pressure, get away from attacker, Direct pressure, sit down, direct pressure, DO NOT EXERT YOURSELF, continue to apply direct pressure, call 911.

Gadgetastic!
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Advice for when you get stabbed   Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:05 am

And if you really want to be a manly man and an artery is cut, reach into the wound and finger clamp the artery. Try not to pass out.

Gadgetastic!
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Advice for when you get stabbed   Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:53 am

..."finger clamp the artery"

Smile

I'm going to have to try that sometime.

o O (Damn... it keeps slipping. Come on, Mega-Rad... focus... you can do this. The gloves are making it hard though....)

I'm sorry guys, this original post was kind of pretentious of me. I was new(er). Nowadays I'd have just started a conversation about it.

And yes, medical treatment is the best medicine (in this case).
Back to top Go down
!

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Advice for when you get stabbed   Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:54 am

Mega-Rad wrote:
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

my favorite line
Back to top Go down
Anonyman

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Advice for when you get stabbed   Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Mega-Rad wrote:
I'm sorry guys, this original post was kind of pretentious of me. I was new(er). Nowadays I'd have just started a conversation about it.

Don't be sorry. This is how we learn. If I'm to be honest, I think that you're starting out great, Mega-Rad, and I look forward to what you'll accomplish in the future.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Advice for when you get stabbed   Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:51 pm

Personally, if I got stabbed, I don't think I'd wait to change clothes before going to the hospital. Embarassment be damned! And I wouldn't tell the hospital that I was mugged, as they are required to report to police. Then you'd have to make up a story that would likely have many holes in it and they'd never find this potential murderer. I would tell the truth and take the consequences.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Advice for when you get stabbed   Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:15 pm

Gauge wrote:
Personally, if I got stabbed, I don't think I'd wait to change clothes before going to the hospital. Embarassment be damned! And I wouldn't tell the hospital that I was mugged, as they are required to report to police. Then you'd have to make up a story that would likely have many holes in it and they'd never find this potential murderer. I would tell the truth and take the consequences.

I will say now that the opinions of Minuteman do not reflect the opinions of Reallifesuperheroes.org or therlsh.net

But yeah what Gauge said

if you get hurt, stabbed, shot or otherwise mangled while out on patrole
and don't go to get medical attention just because you're some big bad dark knight Bela Lugosi wannabe
then you're an idiot.

I'm sorry if I offend you by saying this, but it's my opinion that nothing should stop you from walking into an ER

Back to top Go down
Champion

PostSubject: Re: Advice for when you get stabbed   Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:27 pm

Minuteman wrote:
Gauge wrote:

I will say now that the opinions of Minuteman do not reflect the opinions of Reallifesuperheroes.org or therlsh.net

But yeah what Gauge said

if you get hurt, stabbed, shot or otherwise mangled while out on patrole
and don't go to get medical attention just because you're some big bad dark knight Bela Lugosi wannabe
then you're an idiot.

I'm sorry if I offend you by saying this, but it's my opinion that nothing should stop you from walking into an ER

ditto'd
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Advice for when you get stabbed   Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:42 pm

Gauge, that's why using the truth as a pretext is so great. I'd go to the hospital and say "I was powerbocking and some dude stabbed me."

I mean heck, I'd go to the hospital anyway unless it was very superficial, but still.
Back to top Go down
Crossfire the Crusader

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Advice for when you get stabbed   Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:51 pm

Gauge wrote:

How about telling most of the truth...for example, I would tell them I'm a children's entertainer and that I happened to see a crime in progress and intervened. I would not be lying, because I AM a childrens entertainer and I DID happen to see the crime, but I simply did not mention the fact that I was not performing at the time. They don't NEED to know I was patrolling or actually looking for trouble.

Of course I don't patrol for crime fighting, when I do go out its for street ministry (helping people at the point of their need) and I am rarely in costume, so it would be much easier for me to simply fess up to everything.

Who are you? I've never heard of you nor have I been given reason to take you seriously, I'm sure lots of people share my opinion on this matter. Which is why you got your initial response, if you had made an introduction thread or at least made of point of saying who you are you probably would've been received better. (Sleepless)

Sometimes you cant win by fighting the negative, but you can turn the tide by strengthening the positive

SUPERHERO ACADEMY ON BLOG TALK RADIO - returning soon - times TBA - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Advice for when you get stabbed   Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:55 pm

I used to take that approach sometimes doing professional stuff, Crossfire. The only problem is sometimes it doesn't stand up very well to scrutiny. Given your second paragraph there, I don't personally see any reason for you to lie or even stretch the truth at all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice for when you get stabbed   

Back to top Go down

Advice for when you get stabbed
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next