Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

What skills should a superhero have?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:09 am

A SuperHero should have all skills, or all the skills that they can get. below is my list of what powers a SuperHero should have...

PHYSICAL
Good health and fitness. everything about the body needs to be as good as can be, muscles, bones, organs, skin. knowing how to treat your body right and keep it right, is a skill. the more strength and energy you have, the longer you can help others.

MENTAL
Intelligence. this is all about knowledge, remembering what you have seen or learnt in the past, calculating possible futures so you can stop them before they happen, detecting everything around you, reacting to problems and then quickly finding a solution.

EMOTIONAL
Good control over emotions. control over fear can give you courage and confidence. control over anger and frustration can aid in patience. to deal with others in a calm polite yet honest way is a useful skill that can keep you out of trouble.

SPIRITUAL
Knowing and being your true self. being at peace with yourself and everyone around you. being aware of hidden truth. compassion, aware of the pains of others and wanting to do something about it, very important if you want to help others.

PRACTICAL
Good control over body. this is about your balance, reflexes, co-ordination, agility, speaking etc. the more control you have over your body, the better you can perform your martial arts, operate your tools, give a speech or pilot a vehicle.

MATERIAL
Tools, weapons, money, resources, allies, friends. having these things makes your job quicker and easier.

PSIONICAL
psychic ability. telepathy, ESP, psychokinesis, astral projection. everyone has these abilities to some degree. psionic abilities are like energy tools that help out with the other stuff. they can aid in good luck.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:53 pm

Dude...I feel gymnastics would be pretty important. Keeps you fit, agile, and looks wicked during fights. It's basically a whole different level of martial arts, and let's not mention a pretty decent intimidation technique.

Dance would actually serve a decent purpose too. Mostly for the same reasons, but also because it's so easy to blend with actual fighting. Thank you Brazilians for your awesome dance fighting!

Lock picking. And not just door locks. I am talking, cars...handcuffs...anything that locks, you should know how to pick it. You never know when you will need to free somebody, or even yourself from a sticky situation.

And finally...what I like to refer to as the McGuyver Mindset. If you need a distraction, and all you can find is a rubber band, a paper clip, and a pencil, rig that shit together. Improvisation is key. You don't have to be an inventor to get the basic idea of how something works...and you can never know too much, nor have too much experience in the field.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:49 am

Here is a small list:

- First Aid/CPR

- Self-Defense (which style depends entirely on what you want to do with it)

- Interpersonal skills: Easier said than done for me, as I am somewhat introverted. I can turn on the charm when the need arises though.

- Research: This falls under investigation perhaps, but this skill is also helpful in learning other skills you may need or want to know. The more you discover, the larger your basic knowledge grows.

- Patience: Not all of your undertakings, missions, events, or whatever you want to call them are going to turn out as you expect. It takes hard work and patience to become successful in anything in life, including this.

Tolerance/Empathy- Not everyone that you meet is "The Enemy". There is naturally a bit of reticence on the part of average folk when they are confronted by people in strange costumes. And in the case of the indigent and homeless, a lot of them live lives that are filled with fear. People marginalise them, beat them, rob them, or worse...just because they can. A bit of perspective is needed in such situations.

I know I didn't really add anything important or innovative to this discussion. Oh well...that's what you guys are for! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:14 am

LEARN TO SEW.
Back to top Go down
Roswell

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:52 am

Ragensi wrote:

LEARN TO SEW.

hahahahahhahahaha

Reminds me of Martin Short's only funny line in Three Amigos...
"Sew, very old one! Sew like the wind!"
Back to top Go down
Gray

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:50 pm

I know some people here might be interested in the detective/investigative angle of being a superhero, so might I add logic to the list? Ala Sherlock Holmes deduction.

If you want to dive into studying it, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:10 pm

ThisGuy wrote:
Dude...I feel gymnastics would be pretty important. Keeps you fit, agile, and looks wicked during fights. It's basically a whole different level of martial arts, and let's not mention a pretty decent intimidation technique.

Dance would actually serve a decent purpose too. Mostly for the same reasons, but also because it's so easy to blend with actual fighting. Thank you Brazilians for your awesome dance fighting!

Lock picking. And not just door locks. I am talking, cars...handcuffs...anything that locks, you should know how to pick it. You never know when you will need to free somebody, or even yourself from a sticky situation.

And finally...what I like to refer to as the McGuyver Mindset. If you need a distraction, and all you can find is a rubber band, a paper clip, and a pencil, rig that shit together. Improvisation is key. You don't have to be an inventor to get the basic idea of how something works...and you can never know too much, nor have too much experience in the field.

McGuyver-mindset!

HHOOO RAH!

YES YES YES!
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:12 pm

Ragensi wrote:

LEARN TO SEW.

hmmm, I like this one.

too few do.

won't solve every thing but...
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:12 pm

Gray wrote:
I know some people here might be interested in the detective/investigative angle of being a superhero, so might I add logic to the list? Ala Sherlock Holmes deduction.

If you want to dive into studying it, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

YAY!! Conan Doyle!

YES!!
Back to top Go down
Sonic Eagle

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:26 pm

I wuld like to add wilderness survival to the list depending on ur locason as for me thats a scill that culde come in handy considering that my town is practicly located in a forest or on the edge of one any way i mean you never know when being able to navagat thre thick brse to evade a crimanal that is out of your lege culd come in handy or the fact that with wilderness servivall comes the abillaty of tracking somethang down of cores that is also usful in hunting as well
Back to top Go down
SkyMan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:06 pm

I just found this thread... thanks Arbor for reviving it!!

I think MacGyver has to be a great skill-set to have as an rlsh... though, I would like strategy on how to become more of a "maker".

Way to go on Survival skills Warwing... Ive always considered Les Stroud and Bear Grylls to be in the mode of rlsh.
Back to top Go down
Overwatch

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:10 pm

Street smarts, common sense.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:00 pm

SkyMan wrote:

I think MacGyver has to be a great skill-set to have as an rlsh... though, I would like strategy on how to become more of a "maker".

I cheated. I didn't learn the science and engineering. It's a matter of observing the properties and processes of everything you possibly can and boiling them down to their most simple terms and then finding the commonalities. In the 19th century and before, this practice was known as Natural Philosophy. Once you have the ability to do this, you can put things back together however you like. It is quite possible to literally tear the world apart and create whatever you want from it. This is known as Pragmatic Natural Philosophy. I've been doing this for my whole life, but so far I'm the only person I know of that practices this.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:03 pm

Warwing wrote:
I wuld like to add wilderness survival to the list depending on ur locason as for me thats a scill that culde come in handy considering that my town is practicly located in a forest or on the edge of one any way i mean you never know when being able to navagat thre thick brse to evade a crimanal that is out of your lege culd come in handy or the fact that with wilderness servivall comes the abillaty of tracking somethang down of cores that is also usful in hunting as well

good point
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:04 pm

Overwatch wrote:
Street smarts, common sense.

yep yep,
how do we teach them?
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:05 pm

SkyMan wrote:
I just found this thread... thanks Arbor for reviving it!!

Way to go on Survival skills Warwing... Ive always considered Les Stroud and Bear Grylls to be in the mode of rlsh.

Mr. Stroud and Mr. Grylls make me humble!!!

Skyman, what do you mean by, "...a "maker"."?
Back to top Go down
Champion

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:07 pm

im a survival fan and as one i must say DO NOT GROUP LES STROUD AND IDIOT GYRLLS TOGETHER!

les actually teaches people how to survive in the wild. if people tryed doing the stuff bear grylls shows they would be dead in a day.i cant stand bear grylls.

ahem..

anyway, as for common sence, we dont teach it. evolution does.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:08 pm

Victim wrote:
SkyMan wrote:

I cheated. I didn't learn the science and engineering. It's a matter of observing the properties and processes of everything you possibly can and boiling them down to their most simple terms and then finding the commonalities. In the 19th century and before, this practice was known as Natural Philosophy. Once you have the ability to do this, you can put things back together however you like. It is quite possible to literally tear the world apart and create whatever you want from it. This is known as Pragmatic Natural Philosophy. I've been doing this for my whole life, but so far I'm the only person I know of that practices this.

you are my new role model

Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:11 pm

Champion wrote:
im a survival fan and as one i must say DO NOT GROUP LES STROUD AND IDIOT GYRLLS TOGETHER!

les actually teaches people how to survive in the wild. if people tryed doing the stuff bear grylls shows they would be dead in a day.i cant stand bear grylls.

ahem..

anyway, as for common sence, we dont teach it. evolution does.

You make a good point that Grylls and Stroud are different.
However, I have learned very valuable and very different things from each one.

Grylls is ruthless and fast.
The frozen candy bar rope holder is amazing.

Stroud is, undeniably, a tenth degree black belt of survival.

I watched a marathon of his program over Thanksgiving weekend '05.
Watching someone eat that little while my tummy was full was VERY humbling.
Learning 12 different ways to make a fire is VERY valuable
Back to top Go down
Champion

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:30 pm

what pisses me off about grylls is he says things like "need to get down stream, well jump into the river" or "if you come across wild horses, try jumping on their backs."

yeah both those things will get your killed.

i dont doubt that as a person, bear knows how to survive, but the things they make him do on the show are irresponsible and someone is gonna try one of these things some day and get killed.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:34 pm

I wonder if that is their plan
Back to top Go down
Sonic Eagle

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:42 pm

me I am a former boy scout so as for me i got to git some hands on servival traning much beter then reling on a tv show dont git me wrong i thang thare shows are good its just thars nothing that can beat hands on traning
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:47 pm

hands-on = yes!
Back to top Go down
Overwatch

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:21 pm

If you spend time around someone who is street smart, that can help. But you can't really "teach it". It just kind of comes with experience.
Back to top Go down
Roswell

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:09 pm

Not to split hairs, but I think the MacGyver skill is technically defined as a form of improvisation (whether it's an inborn talent or a learned skill), just as Rorschach and The Spirit had an uncanny knack for quickly improvising battle tactics and escape artistry utilizing common objects found in their urban environments. It's improvisation utilizing a solid knowledge of the physical sciences along with everyday objects under duress in extraordinary ways/circumstances.

It's one thing to utilize an understanding of basic physics or chemistry to solve a problem, but to do so in a very specific way very quickly in a high-stress situation is not something your typical science teacher or comic book writer can do, or teach you how to do. At least none of the teachers in any of the public schools I attended as a kid. Not sure where or how you would train your MacGyver skill, but yeah, that kind of quick-thinking would serve any emergency situation well...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   

Back to top Go down

What skills should a superhero have?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next