View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
The Black Stampede

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Ten Commandments of Heroism   Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:18 pm

Here are ten basic principles that I think everyone can agree with. I feel that having a definite set of "rules," even if they are obvious, helps to keep a person on the right track, and to lend ease in determining if an act crosses the line.

I. Life above all else.
II. A good deed committed is worth ten misdeeds prevented.
III. The law is to be followed, though the  police are not always the law.
IV. Trouble is not to be sought.
V. Tolerance always shall be demanded.
VI. The mask is a symbol, not a disguise; make no ill use of it.
VII. Evil shall always tempt us, but we shall fight it.
VIII. Speak never the true name of a fellow hero in violation of their wishes.
IX. Evil prevails that good does naught.
X. Black or white, gay or straight, transgender or cisgender, rich or poor, Christian or Satanist, good or evil, it is not our place to discriminate but to help ANY in need.
Back to top Go down
Equal

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments of Heroism   Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:01 pm

XI. Nazi frogmen must be defeated at all costs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments of Heroism   Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:35 pm

In the words of Zorro, "If the law is unjust, justice must become an outlaw."

In some areas, laws are passed to drive homeless people out. In some cases, it is even illegal to feed them. In those areas, the law demands you deny a natural human instinct to aid in the survival of your fellow man. I would feel disturbed following such a law, and so I would not.

Do what is right.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments of Heroism   Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:56 pm

I'd like to thank you for this thread, Black Stampede. It's thought-provoking. I hope you do not mind my sharing my thoughts on a modification.

01. Your safety should be your first priority.
02. If you find yourself in a position to do good things for other people, you have a moral obligation to do those things.
03. Do not bow to oppression; a freedom un-asserted is a freedom lost.
04. Seek to become a symbol, a rolemodel of something better.
05. Tolerance should be hoped for. If un-tolerable, confront it swiftly, and rapidly.
06. A mask can be a symbol, or a disguise; use one wisely if at all.
07. Evil may tempt us, but it is beneath us.
08.Respect the anonymity of your fellow superheroes, in addition to themselves.
09.The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing. 
10. Root, hog, or die, and let the devil take the hindmost.
Back to top Go down
The Black Stampede

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments of Heroism   Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:28 pm

I disagree with the first. Personal safety, I feel, can and should be sacrificed if it is a calculated risk and for the greater good. If someone is in a crowded bank wielding a knife, I believe it would be right and probably worth it to attempt to disarm them. Leaping before a train in defence of a squirrel, however, would just be stupid. The tenth I do not understand.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments of Heroism   Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:22 pm

Root, hog, or die is a phrase coined by Davey Crocket, the southern expression references a hog fending for itself by rooting into the ground, the phrase is used to communicate 'build your own shelter, provide for your ownself, take care of your ownself." Let the devil take the hindmost. is a military expression to communicate to the platoon "anyone lagging behind will not receive aid" in order to boost morale and motivation. Number 10 is all about sufficiency and duty; number 01 is all about staying alive so that you can be sufficient and diligent for others, effecting a greater good.
Back to top Go down
The Black Stampede

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments of Heroism   Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:47 pm

In that case, I disagree strongly with the latter part of 10. Everyone ought to have the same chance. Not because they deserve it, but because we need to be people who care. To give aid and life, that is our job, not to pick and choose who gets it. Even the lowliest criminals, people who could be deemed complete monsters, can do good if given a chance. Look upon me, and know that while I am now a hero, there was a time when I a ticking time bomb, to say the least. I do not like to speak of those times, nor can I remember more than the odd day or two of them. But that was another time, and now so much has changed. You cannot know what a person may do if given a chance.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments of Heroism   Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:59 pm

You're reading into it too much; a US Soldier would never leave a fallen comrade. It is an expression; a figure of speech to boost moral and motivation. You don't want to slow down the team by failing the 7 Ps and failing to keep yourself in good fighting condition. But if you step onto an anti personnel mine, your brothers wouldn't leave you to die.
Back to top Go down
The Black Stampede

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments of Heroism   Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:16 pm

Oh, I see. You'll have to forgive me, these expressions have not made it north of the border.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments of Heroism   Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:22 pm

Nothing to forgive; you did nothing wrong.
Back to top Go down
Equal

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments of Heroism   Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:36 am

XII. Everybody must agree on the Twelve Commandments of Heroism.
Back to top Go down
Dog Girl

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments of Heroism   Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:54 am

I agree with both versions of the rules. I think the first sound more official, but the re-draft was easier to understand. I constantly have to remind myself that I need to take care of myself first, because if I'm in bad condition, then I'm in no condition to help anyone else.
Back to top Go down
The Black Stampede

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments of Heroism   Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:18 am

I suppose it is not a simple matter. What if to care for oneself would be to condemn others to harm? Then again, I have an unusual bias since my incapacitation is acceptable as I have replacements.
Back to top Go down
Equal

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments of Heroism   Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:08 pm

The Black Stampede wrote:
Here are ten basic principles that I think everyone can agree with. I feel that having a definite set of "rules," even if they are obvious, helps to keep a person on the right track, and to lend ease in determining if an act crosses the line.

I. Life above all else.
II. A good deed committed is worth ten misdeeds prevented.
III. The law is to be followed, though the  police are not always the law.
IV. Trouble is not to be sought.
V. Tolerance always shall be demanded.
VI. The mask is a symbol, not a disguise; make no ill use of it.
VII. Evil shall always tempt us, but we shall fight it.
VIII. Speak never the true name of a fellow hero in violation of their wishes.
IX. Evil prevails that good does naught.
X. Black or white, gay or straight, transgender or cisgender, rich or poor, Christian or Satanist, good or evil, it is not our place to discriminate but to help ANY in need.
I. Is all life worth saving?
II. Depends on the deeds. I'd rather not get bitten by ten maniacs than getting some boy scouts seat on the bus.
III. The law must not be confused with justice.
IV. Agreed, but it is to be found.
V. Evil prevails when good men tolerate it.
VI. The symbol of wierdness.
VII. The devil?
VIII. If it's so damn secret, keep it to yourself. Seriusly.
IX. Tolerance.
X. I don't care, nazi frog men will NEVER recive my help.

Sorry, but we just lost a lot of crazy we had to have "reality debates" with, so now I just started picking on general quirkyness.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments of Heroism   Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:26 pm

Eclesiastes Chapter 3 Verse 1-8.
Back to top Go down
The Black Stampede

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments of Heroism   Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:11 pm

I. That is not for us to judge. That we start withholding life, how long before we begin dealing death?
II. Within reason.
III. Actually, justice IS a better idea.
IV. Yes, and that is perfectly fine.
V. Again, within reason.
VI. We're dressing up as superheroes and trying to be like them. That's already pretty weird.
VII. I am not a Christian. Evil bears many names, but by any name it can be seductive.
VIII. That is true enough, but that we cannot trust each other, what are we?
IX. I wasn't talking about matters of tolerance.
X. Very well, exceptions made for Nazi frog men.

J Doe, I do not grasp the connection between that and this topic. There's a time for everything, yes. If you were meaning to draw attention to "a time to kill," I am aware that there is - when killing is necessary for the preservation of life.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments of Heroism   Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:26 pm

Oh, I wasn't trying to point out anything specific in that passage. It seems this is a philosophical discussion, and when it comes to making decisions of such a nature, I find reflecting on that piece of scripture helps me be objective; guides my on the path of truth and justice. To everything there is a proper time and place; to everything; not just those communicated. The key is developing the wisdom to determine the proper time and space for the right leverage in the right place. In that passage is the key to true power and liberation; a philosophy of refinement.

This is a philosophical discussion, right?
Back to top Go down
The Black Stampede

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments of Heroism   Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:34 pm

It wasn't meant to be, though I don't object to the idea - I love philosophical discussions. Also, I thought you said before you were Wiccan?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments of Heroism   Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:47 pm

I am.
Back to top Go down
The Black Stampede

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments of Heroism   Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:29 pm

Eclectic, I take it?
Back to top Go down
omen

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments of Heroism   Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:08 pm

I think what you have here is an EXCELLENT attempt to create an ideology for cohesion. You have not only developed a proposal for discussion, but you have invited debate as well as an exploration into philosophy.

Great Job!

Here’s the challenge, and I want you to know that you are not the first to try this, The concept of ‘Real Life Superheroes’ is as ambiguous as the terms law, justice, good, and evil. Whenever these terms have been entered into a fray, everything goes haywire… and then the struggle of conversation is only quelled with tolerance and patience.

When you propose something such as your ‘Commandments’, their strength rely on an audience designed to serve within those boundaries because the acceptance of them come with a certain level of risk.

The ‘concept’ of Real Life Superheroes has grown into a recognized and unrecognized subculture.

For example, I created a post on here about the masked civilians in Mexico fighting to protect their neighborhoods and communities from the cartels. They feed the homeless and wounded, while battling the cartels in the streets, back roads, and woods on a daily basis, just to have somewhere to call home.

These Real Life Superheroes kill and die.

Are they any less than the costumed individuals here? Would your Commandments hold up to their actions?

When a temporary lifestyle develops into an ongoing culture, survival becomes the teacher of philosophy and ‘Want’s become increasingly harder to hold on to as compared to ‘Needs’.

In order for your Commandments to hold up, you must first form a team, an alliance, an organization… that truly understands its place WITHIN the subculture. Once your organization/team is formed, you must give it its own identity, name, and brand. From there the leader or leaders can then work to establish Commandments that are clear, understood, and agreed upon.

Deliver those Commandments.
From there, those that agree, will join your cause and gladly follow your lead.

You’ve started something. I have my fingers crossed that you will see it through.

-Omen, “Heroes aren’t made during good times!” – The Elite Forces Division
Back to top Go down
The Black Stampede

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments of Heroism   Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:48 pm

Hmm. You're right, they probably would hold up better applied to a team or organization instead of the entire movement. Though they're still useful just as guidelines, I reckon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments of Heroism   Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:17 pm

No, I just respect all religions and feel each has something to offer, but that the Old Religion is suited best for myself. I'm very one with nature.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments of Heroism   Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:31 pm

Whoops, I didn't see there was a second page. XD
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments of Heroism   Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:43 pm

Why ten? That is, what is the reasoning behind the number? You could've made fewer or more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments of Heroism   

Back to top Go down

Ten Commandments of Heroism
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Real Life Superheroes - The Forum :: General Information :: Training & Preparation-
Jump to: