View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ThePanther

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: How to kick a bad habit   Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:15 am

Hi fellow rlsh I'm hear for help with a problem many of us suffer from...addiction. I'm smokeing tabacoo products and it's a struggle trying to quit. Im noticing that it's starting to effect my physical well being and fitness I need help and suggestions on how to quit my nasty habit please feel free to help
Back to top Go down
Equal

PostSubject: Re: How to kick a bad habit   Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:42 am

If you really want to quit, just quit. And remind yourself why you quit every day.

Everybody who's telling you it's hard is doing it wrong.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to kick a bad habit   Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:05 pm

Same here....amongst other things.

Call 1888842QUIT (7848).

Other resources:

www.quitnet.org
www.aklung.org
www.lungusa.org
www.cancer.org
www.nicotine-anonymous.org
www.smokesignals.org
www.tobaccofree.org

My father told me it takes approximately 28 days of consistently doing something to turn into a habit. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to kick a bad habit   Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:07 pm

I already set a date for quiting cigerettes, December 19th; my proverbial "birthday".
Back to top Go down
ThePanther

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: How to kick a bad habit   Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:03 am

Thanks for the help equal and 204
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to kick a bad habit   Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:46 pm

You're welcome.
Back to top Go down
adamm[]

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How to kick a bad habit   Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:21 pm

smoke until you puke your lungs out, then youll always remember how sick you got by smoking and youll want to quit.

hehe, it may seem like im being stupid sarcastic but it actually works, i drank like 20 shots/mixed drinks after my mixology class (thats how to make alchoholic drinks) and i couldnt even look at liquor without my stomach curdling over.

i made white russians with run, white russians with gin, white russians with vodka and then just as many versions of grasshoppers, tequila sunrises, zombies, black russians, cape coders and something with midori in it... Fell asleep on the toilet.. litterally slept on it, and didnt have another drink for like 5 years. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

But an easier way would be to wait 5 more minutes once you want a drag, then when 5 minutes is up, wait another 5 and another until you cant wait any longer.  And just take 1 drag of the cigarette. and keep the rest for later, cause smokes are X-pensive.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to kick a bad habit   Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:32 pm

Lol, your cigeret would be out or gone after all those five minutes, your levels won't be up and so you'll say screw it and actually smoke another cig.....I speak from experience, lol. Cold turkey is best.
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How to kick a bad habit   Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:24 pm

use Nicorette gum.
then once you addicted to the chewing gum change it to a regular chewing gum.
Eventually you will just be addicted to chewing gum.
Not great, but much better than cigarettes
Back to top Go down
Iron Lamb

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: How to kick a bad habit   Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:43 pm

Just don't do it?
Back to top Go down
Equal

PostSubject: Re: How to kick a bad habit   Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:12 pm

arrowdynamic wrote:
use Nicorette gum.
then once you addicted to the chewing gum change it to a regular chewing gum.
Eventually you will just be addicted to chewing gum.
Not great, but much better than cigarettes
I disagree. It's the stuff you use when you are out of options.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How to kick a bad habit   Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:15 pm

Vape pens are gaining popularity. The fluid contains no nicotine and there are many flavors with pleasant scents. Many people have switched and have stopped smoking cigarettes altogether.
Back to top Go down
Snowman

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: How to kick a bad habit   Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:02 am

I failed in my first attempts; gonna start after my mission to the Capital; it's probably gonna get emotional and stressful like last time while running all over the twisted winding streets of Juneau; BEAUTIFUL place by the way; only get there by boat or plane; almost got stranded when I lost my wallet last time but it was sent back to me over a year later; that just flabergasted me; it was a lovely surprise. That wont happen this time though; I gots a chain now.

Setting the quit date for the 19th; I'll have to make sure all paraphernalia and what not is out on the fourteenth at the latest; don't want to have to come home to it. Been reminding my neighbors to keep that crap away from me for a while too, just to make sure it sinks in with them.
Back to top Go down
DarkShadow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: How to kick a bad habit   Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:33 pm

I kick bad habits right in the balls.

Works for me.
Back to top Go down
Daremyth

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How to kick a bad habit   Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:07 pm

DarkShadow wrote:
I kick bad habits right in the balls.

Works for me.

Nice.  That's the ticket.

Similar philosophy to making up one's mind and sticking to it.  It's easy to want something and then try to rely on quick fixes or external cures.  But the mind does its own magic.  Sometimes it's best to start (or stop) exactly when you feel most passionate about quitting.  That very moment.  Instead of setting a date or using an event or time to make yourself start.
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How to kick a bad habit   Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:32 pm

could always never start in the first place
Back to top Go down
Anyman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How to kick a bad habit   Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:04 pm

Addictions are usually the result of reframing experiences in your mind, so they seem more pleasurable than they actually are. If you stick with something long enough, the principle of acclimation says you'll get used to it, and maybe even find something positive in it, especially if there's enough going wrong in your life that you need to turn to it. The best way to kick an addiction is to make a sincere effort to turn away from it, and find people to support you, to whom you can hold yourself accountable. Not all addictions, or personalities, are created equal. My father used to drink like a fish, when he worked at a nightclub; one night, he figured out the cost of all the free drinks he was getting from customers, realized how much he'd have spent, and decided to cut down his habit. He didn't stop altogether, because he likes an occasional drink or two, but he got it under control. My mother, on the other hand, had a lot of addictions, and had to completely isolate herself from them to get them under control. Ultimately, we can choose whether we let something hold us back, or not, but if it's harder than just making the choice, your best bet is to borrow the strength of others.
Back to top Go down
Blue Stranger

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How to kick a bad habit   Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:08 pm

I'll second Anyman's point about reframing. It's true that withdrawal has incredible and debilitating physical side effects, but in order to ride those out you have to prime yourself for the mental battle first.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to kick a bad habit   

Back to top Go down

How to kick a bad habit
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1