Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Mon May 12, 2014 4:36 am

I think you misunderstand power, at it's core power is having the abilty to affect changes in your surroundings. Moving a chair from point a to point b in your dining room is a demonstration of power, as is making preparations for future events after acquiring information is. Another example would be knowing a person based on the facts you have, most assume, and surmise that they're assumption is correct. One may for example look down on me, maybe because I have a big nose or because I'm skinny, regardless though of what they believe, I probably wouldn't even notice them acting like hot shit unless I was looking for it; before I took up protecting entire cities from the most destructive forces on the planet, I was being beaten, raped, drugged, tortured and experimented on, before escaping after about three and a half years, and before I was taken, I lived in dysfunctional trailer house with a violent drunk, so next time you have a thought about who I am, let it go, because buddy, you don't know the half it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Mon May 12, 2014 4:45 am

There's nothing you could say to humiliate me, nothing to make me think of myself any lesser than; my thinking doesn't even work that way, you feel competition; people are either "lower" or "higher" than you. There's no scale for me. For me, it's more like bubbles, each person having their own. I will never truly understand your life and world nor will you ever mine because we are two, unique, and separate people from different worlds. You seem to think you and I are climbing the same ladder, but we are not; I can never be lower or higher than you.
Back to top Go down
Ulfbert

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Mon May 12, 2014 7:23 pm

ok yeah i got a bit crazy on that sorry guys. It was the same day i saw the 5th act of police brutality that week just walking home. It gets to me, thats all. It wont happen again, sorry.
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Wed May 14, 2014 5:48 pm

Ulfbert wrote:
ok yeah i got a bit crazy on that sorry guys. It was the same day i saw the 5th act of police brutality that week just walking home. It gets to me, thats all. It wont happen again, sorry.
I'm an Anarcho-Capitalist. I think I might be the only person here who hates the police with an unbridled passion because they serve the state and enforce its laws through violence and threats of violence.

The police, as far as I'm concerned, are inherently inclined to become nothing more than violent thugs making sure everybody submits to their mafia (the government in this case).

Of course my views are often called "radical" or "extremist", but I prefer to call them "logically consistent." According to most people, I'm the crazy one for believing in non-violence and freedom rather than murder-based governments of varying flavors.

I even go through the trouble of finding out what the solutions would be to the hypothetical problems that would arise without a state, but most people don't actually want to hear about the possibility of solutions from my belief system, they just want to think that I'm wrong.

And as for the "power corrupts" discussion. It does not objectively corrupt people, this is true, however power always attracts evil people without exception.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Wed May 14, 2014 6:21 pm

You both need to explain your reasoning, it sounds too cliche. 

First, there are no evil people or good people because free will is a delusion. Every choice you have ever made was a direct influence of prior stimulus resulting in your brain producing different chemicals and linking neurons up to reach a final destination, it's predictable and is pure physics and chemistry, hardly any of which we have any natural way of manipulating, and because we had no choice in the events that unfolded to bring us to any particular time and place, every "descision" we make is a delusionary illusion we take pride in to give ourselves a [false] sense of security when in fact it was the predictable effect of a previous cause, cause and effect, also eloquently called Chaos Theory. I know if I truly had free will, my life would never have turned the way it did. We never had a choice, since the moment we were born we were at the mercy of chaos, and because of this natural fact, free will is insane, a self comforting delusion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Wed May 14, 2014 6:24 pm

Don't remember what the second was, my thoughts move fast.
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Wed May 14, 2014 7:20 pm

204 wrote:
First, there are no evil people or good people because free will is a delusion. Every choice you have ever made was a direct influence of prior stimulus resulting in your brain producing different chemicals and linking neurons up to reach a final destination, it's predictable and is pure physics and chemistry, hardly any of which we have any natural way of manipulating, and because we had no choice in the events that unfolded to bring us to any particular time and place, every "descision" we make is a delusionary illusion we take pride in to give ourselves a [false] sense of security when in fact it was the predictable effect of a previous cause, cause and effect, also eloquently called Chaos Theory. I know if I truly had free will, my life would never have turned the way it did. We never had a choice, since the moment we were born we were at the mercy of chaos, and because of this natural fact, free will is insane, a self comforting delusion.
What you are describing is called "Determinism." It has no practical use outside of being defined, and I have studied its concepts before. Your argument doesn't disprove any of my positions, you're only arguing from semantics.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Wed May 14, 2014 7:42 pm

Who ever said I was arguing?
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Wed May 14, 2014 9:41 pm

204 wrote:
Who ever said I was arguing?
If you weren't trying to argue then what you had to add was completely unhelpful to the discussion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Thu May 15, 2014 1:28 am

Maybe it was helpful in other ways.
Back to top Go down
GreyWolf

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:29 am

The app specifies that you share with your neighbors. My assumption is that you aren't going door to door with random neighbors you don't know. Its probably going to be good neighbors, and friends. If that's the case, participants probably are worried about neighborhood safety and each other. 

I would assume that there would be a response plan in place. I think this apps purpose is primarily a detterent, or to scare an attacker off through witnesses. There is alsothe bonus of more witnesses assisting in details when the police finally do get called.
Back to top Go down
Anyman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:51 am

It's basically like SpotCrime, then.
Back to top Go down
GreyWolf

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:22 pm

I would assume that the best plan is for one of the informed neighbors to immediately call the police, and THEN respond. They are nothing more than witness and intimidation deterrents to continuation of the crime, collecting eyewitnesses and stalling to increase the chances of successful persecution.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   

Back to top Go down

Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2