Share | 

Stillness

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sage

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Stillness   Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:25 pm

(This is an offshoot of DCGuardian's "Speech" post, and my "Silence" post)

This may not be an "overlooked" skill, but I felt that this topic could compliment the others.  Speech is of the mind.  Silence is of the spirit.  Stillness is of the body.

I know a lot of you are practitioners of martial arts, so this might be familiar to more people.  On the surface, stillness is often expressed in the form of meditation.  Sitting still with your eyes closed isn't exactly easy for most people in the western world.  Which, it seems, makes it a popular thing to try, to see how long you can stand "doing nothing".  As many admit, there isn't usually a lot of nothing going on.  The mind is always busy.  The idea of not thinking has always seemed absurd to me.  I get the impression that many who try it don't want to admit that their mind was as busy as a beehive.

This, I've discovered, is not a bad thing.  I believe there is a good reason that our minds are constantly buzzing.  In my own experience, I've noticed that when I sit still, close my eyes, and let my mind wander, I come up with all kinds of things, solutions to problems, ideas to pass on, memories that once laid buried.  As much as I'd love to see more people try this, I'm not pushing it, as I have another reason, a more practical one, for use by the RLSH's.

I know the common methodology as an RLSH is to patrol, to walk, to look for a problem to solve.  I'm curious, however, if any of you have tried letting the problem come to you?  Not that you have to sit out in front of your house or apartment building, but any place you wish.  A park bench, a mall, a tourist site, even an alley or corner of a building somewhere that people often walk by.  As silly as it sounds, if you haven't tried it, give it a shot.  Personally I enjoy it.  It's amazing to me how much you notice about people, the variety of individuals.  Most importantly, in your stillness you begin to understand the motion of the world (Yin and Yang as I explained in my Silence post), which is not something to be taught, but experienced first-hand.
Back to top Go down
Anyman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Stillness   Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:45 pm

Anyone can do it, but some find silence and stillness absolutely terrifying. Unnatural, even. For those who live with illnesses that cause hyperactivity in the mind, their only solace is to let their attention wander wherever it will, and let silence and stillness naturally come to them. There's a disconnect between actively seeking such calm, and having it suddenly creep up on you, like some kind of assassin with a garrote. That's not to even touch on how frantic and chaotic the mind can become, when such calm is actively sought.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stillness   Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:01 am

*raises hand and grins*
Back to top Go down
Sage

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Stillness   Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:36 am

Anyman wrote:
Anyone can do it, but some find silence and stillness absolutely terrifying. Unnatural, even.

Exactly! Smile  Thus is a nature of the western world.  Maybe it's old-fashioned of me to promote or even reminisce on ancient eastern society, but I think it's a shame how much of it has died off, even in those very countries that those philosophies were born.

I should mention that the kind of meditation I described above is typically called Zazen meditation, where you basically don't try to do anything.  Of course, this isn't for everyone, but that wasn't exactly the point of my post  Razz 

204, Wink
Back to top Go down
The White Power

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Stillness   Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:21 pm

I've been still for years at my computer. I think I've mastered this. I think I may actually be a natural. Is there anything in the writings of your oriental master that discusses some kind of "chosen one?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stillness   

Back to top Go down

Stillness
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Real Life Superheroes - The Forum :: General Information :: Skills-
Jump to: