Green smoothies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Still

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Green smoothies   Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:37 pm

I wanted to share something I learned from the raw foodists that has made a big difference in my health and that is making and drinking a green smoothie daily.  

I borrowed a dvd set "Greens Can Save Your Life" from our local library and learned a lot about why raw greens make so much difference.  I learned that greens have enough protein in them to live as a vegetarian but that the cell walls of the greens has to be broken down either through chewing them and chewing them and chewing them - or throwing them into a blender, hopefully a blender that will do a thorough job.

In the video Victoria tells of making green smoothies and supplying them to a group of people who all had various health problems.  She asked them to not make any changes except to have the green smoothie every day for a month.  Everyone found a lot of improvement just by adding a green smoothie to their diet.

I can't afford a VitaMix, the recommended blender for this, but I bought the best I could and started drinking them and I can see a real difference.  

Most green smoothie recipes call for a lot of fruit, and I started out adding a frozen banana and an apple to mine, but I am borderline diabetic and that much fruit wasn't working for me.  Over time I've learned to drink them with just a bit of lemon juice and rather than water I use 1/2 aloe vera juice and 1/2 water.  

I use baby greens for two reasons:  one, they taste better and it's easier to drink the smoothie, and two, my blender isn't good enough to really get the 'grown up' greens into drinkable form very well.  I don't know what the nutritional differences are between baby greens and the fully grown ones, but I am really glad I started drinking green smoothies.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this because it has made a wonderful difference for me and I thought, since this area is about nutrition, someone else might want to look into green smoothies if they knew about them.

Still
Back to top Go down
adamm[]

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Green smoothies   Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:36 pm

what kinda veggies do you blend up? Can they be non greens?
Back to top Go down
Solar Spider

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Green smoothies   Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:42 pm

You could look at the ingredients on the back of the commercially available green smoothies and just buy those ingredients...will probably be cheaper, too. If you have the time/space, you could also grow at least a few of those ingredients yourself, and not have to be concerned with not knowing what pesticides, genetic modification, or exploitative labor practices have gone into what you are eating - cause you grew 'em yourself.
Back to top Go down
adamm[]

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Green smoothies   Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:05 pm

it was a fake question

i was just checking to see if this guy isnt just advertising, normal people dont talk like he does, with all the "i borrowed a DVD named "SUPER MOST AWESOMEEST DVD TO EVER HAVE" from my friend, and used my "SONY SUPER AWESOME TYCOON VERSION 5.876 DVD PLAYER Bought from BEST BUY FOR ONLY 89.99!!" to play the dvd that taught me everything about green smooties.

but hey i could be mistaken, or maybe advertising spammers are just getting more clever how to disguise their advertising spam with somewhat normal lingo'ed speech... -.-

But back on topic,  i loved smoothies. My gramma used to make me yougurt, apple juice and bannana smoothies, very tasty.
Back to top Go down
Anyman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Green smoothies   Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:10 pm

There used to be a free full-length movie on the type of smoothies you're talking about, which was hosted on YouTube. Apparently, it's a great way to lose weight and improve your health.
Back to top Go down
Solar Spider

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Green smoothies   Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:13 pm

The commercially available ones are way overpriced.
Back to top Go down
Rook

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Green smoothies   Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:10 pm

When I was going through cancer treatment, Watson bought a juicer and made smoothies for me because I couldn't swallow easily for a while. While I can't vouche for the taste (radiation destroyed my taste buds for a few months) they likely sped my recovery as well.
Back to top Go down
Equal

PostSubject: Re: Green smoothies   Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:45 am

Rook is irradiated! I KNEW IT!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Green smoothies   

Back to top Go down

Green smoothies
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1