new but ready to fight

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Condemmed

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: new but ready to fight   Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:46 am

I live in Iowa and intend to patrol in cedar rapids or iowa city. I'm not sure where the best place is to patrol nor do i know if I will be recieved well. Does anybody have any advice that would be helpfull or at least boost my confidence?
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: new but ready to fight   Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:15 pm

First of all, welcome to the forum.  It's always good to have new members join the community.

Where you patrol isn't nearly as important as being prepared to handle the situations you may encounter, so I strongly urge all new RLSH to patrol within their current skill set.  If you have martial arts training, you are a step in the right direction, but you will need more tools on your belt to tackle crime patrols.  I suggest you take First Aid, CPR, and AED training, and learn your patrol areas backward and forward.  Make contacts among the police, street dwellers, homeless, and sidewalk vendors, as well as the nightclub security.  Do this out of costume.  A well developed social network is invaluable for gathering information you will need later in your career.  

If you want to be well received, the best way to achieve that is to be competent, congenial, and serious (but not stuffy).  People will take you seriously and even have confidence in you if you can demonstrate true ability.  

So, what is your training level and any additional skills you may have?  What do you plan to carry for gear?
Back to top Go down
Condemmed

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: new but ready to fight   Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:32 pm

I have some training in taekwondo and i've been trained to use my baton by my uncle. Soon I'll have a high caliber bullet proof vest. I intend to carry pepper spray, my baton, a multi tool knife, a first aid kit, and a high beam led flash light. As for additional skills I have an obscenely high pain tolerance so that should work out for me lol.
Back to top Go down
Anyman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: new but ready to fight   Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:00 pm

Some tools you may consider carrying with you:

* A rope, at least, if not a rope with a grapnel attached. This can be useful for tying people up, securing objects, climbing, setting a sort of tripwire for an alarm, hooking something from a distance to drag closer, and in the past, there were ways to make them into saddles.
* Some method of taking notes; whether a cell phone with text capabilities, a pencil and paper, etc. Low-tech is good, in case you do have a cell and the battery runs out of juice, but you'd have to become good at sketching, if you're not already. Many throw-away cells can take pics and about 40 seconds of video at a time, hold texts as notes, and record audio. Some come with an F.M. radio. Best of all, they're throw-away phones, so you can always ditch it if you have to, for some reason.
* A long piece of black, blue, grey, brown, green, or red cloth. This suggestion leaves open the option of two pieces of cloth: one 90-cm. piece of cloth that can be used for wrapping, tying, bundling, filtering water, bandaging, etc., and one larger dark-coloured cloth for concealing yourself in shadows if you're being followed.
* Some way to cover your face, without obstructing your sight too much; preferrably, as part of a disguise. Hats, bandanas, hoods, etc., are great ways to hide facial features, as are shades, like the kind the Highway Patrol are known to wear. The goal is to keep people from figuring out who you are, and keep them from figuring out that you're watching them.

Remember, crime-fighting isn't necessarily about combat; that should only be used as an absolute last resort. There's less skill needed to open up a can of whoop-a$$ than there is to take a criminal down without them ever knowing it was you.

Best of luck.
Back to top Go down
CrusaderPrime

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: new but ready to fight   Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:29 pm

Before you step foot out of the door: Check you local laws regarding carrying weapons, In some places even non lethal items are not allowed. You don't want to be stopped before you even get started. In my opinion , start safe, learn your area by doing homeless out reach, clean ups, and the like.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: new but ready to fight   Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:07 am

If you are going to patrol in an outfit, start in plain clothes first. I think there may be RLSH in cedar rapids.

Also, you may be ready to fight, but let's hope you don't have to. Fighting sucks, it's not fun.

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: new but ready to fight   Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:56 am

Condemmed, we should keep in touch, I'm going to try to start a team in Grand Island Nebraska, not that far from where you're from.
Back to top Go down
Condemmed

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: new but ready to fight   Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:27 pm

sounds great sapphire support is always welcome
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new but ready to fight   

Back to top Go down

new but ready to fight